More than 1 sub in a trunk - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2018   #1

Rep Power: 0 Brown_note will become famous soon enoughBrown_note will become famous soon enoughBrown_note will become famous soon enoughBrown_note will become famous soon enoughBrown_note will become famous soon enoughBrown_note will become famous soon enough

Default More than 1 sub in a trunk

Let me preface this by saying this is a "trying to understand thread", not a "judging" thread.

There is a line that is crossed when your system gets to a loudness level where you start damaging your ears, your bass gets way out of proportion with the rest of your speakers, etc. I have one 12" Dayton HO in a small sealed box and it's all I can handle. I can feel if I turn it up anymore, I'm going to really do some damage. I also find SPL competitions a strange concept (there's no SQ element at all?). Anyway, here's my questions for people with setups like four 10"s in their trunk.

- Do you ever wear ear plugs? What's the point of playing something louder than human hearing capabilities?

- Are you really just here to annoy people at stop lights and don't want to admit it?

- Do you care about SQ, or is it really just about the drop?

PS: Get off my lawn!
Brown_note is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 201 WilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: More than 1 sub in a trunk

Its about personal preference. I like more than less, but Im not hammering around the neighborhood at all hours either. I now have 2 subs in my truck and thats so I can hear them with the front speakers when Im rolling up the highway at 70mph with the windows down. To keep the quality up with the volume you need more air moving! Its not always about SPL.

Granted Ive been the kind of guy in the past, oh 15 years ago to have 4 12's in a Focus hatchback and beat myself up every drive. Surprisingly years of that abuse and I still have the best hearing of anyone I know. Drives my wife crazy because I hear crap she doesnt like a squeak or rattle and I have to go deal with it.

Really it rolls down to preference.
WilliamS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 161 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

human hearing is very forgiving at frequencies below 100 hz so all that bass isn't doing much if any damage to hearing, nothing permanent from what I've read. I like to have more than I need because more air moving with less movement from the actual speaker just sounds better, even if its not played loud most of the time.

its kind of like driving a prius, its fine most all the time, great car, does what you ask it to do and just works..but then theres that 1 jackass you need to pass to get over a lane to exit the freeway, and you just don't have the power like your old mustang had to do it..so you miss the exit and gps beeps and says rerouting..in that 1 moment you miss that power.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018   #4

Rep Power: 32 Garcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enough

If you haven't been in a vehicle capable of 140+ with music, then you'll never understand.

Also, ears and senses vary. Some like 4 bangers/6 cylinder engines with V-tech and to blow off valves and guys, others like women and V8's with real "natural" muscle.

http://www.ramforumz.com/signaturepi...ic116156_7.gif
Alpine 8.4/RF R500X1D/JL 12TW3 Active/Boston GTR12 Passive

Last edited by Garcbomber; 03-26-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Garcbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 371 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcbomber View Post
If you haven't been in a vehicle capable of 140+ with music, then you'll never understand.

Also, ears and senses vary. Some like 4 bangers/6 cylinder engines with V-tech and to blow off valves and guys, others like women and V8's with real muscle.
Haha, what the hell is this?

"You'll never understand"

and

"others like women and V8's with real muscle"

So, women and V8 engines go hand in hand, and if you don't like a car with a giant motor, then you don't like women? Real muscle? Power is power, and if a turbo 4 cylinder can keep up with a V8 that has twice as much displacement, that's not saying good things about the V8.

This is the most comical gatekeeping I've seen in a long time, thanks for the laugh.

OP, multiple subwoofers doesn't mean that the intention is SPL. A speaker that moves less, produces less distortion. Using multiples will allow you to reach a particular SPL while keeping excursion, and therefore distortion lower. Multiple woofers has just as much benefit to SQ as it does for SPL.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
Garcbomber (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 129 vettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown_note View Post
Let me preface this by saying this is not a "judging" thread.

- Do you ever wear ear plugs? What's the point of playing something louder than human hearing capabilities?

- Are you really just here to annoy people at stop lights and don't want to admit it?

PS: Get off my lawn!
No. What did you say?
Yes. There are loads of threads on here on diyma that talk about being loud at stop lights or shaking the windows at the drive-thru.
No. SQ is never discussed on this site.

PS: If it's too loud you're too old!

But seriously, have to spent much time reading this site?
vettefiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018   #7

Rep Power: 53 sq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enoughsq2k1 will become famous soon enough

This should be entertaining.....
sq2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 129 vettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I should also attempt to provide a reasonable answer instead of just sarcasm.

In addition to the reasons gijoe provided above, some people use multiple subs to resolve nulls/dead spots that can occur when using a single sub.
vettefiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 94 RRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished road

Some do it simply for aesthetics

DEX P99rs / Zapco / Stereo Integrity / MECA Street 3rd place 2016 World Finals
RRizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #10

Rep Power: 6 St7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post
human hearing is very forgiving at frequencies below 100 hz so all that bass isn't doing much if any damage to hearing, nothing permanent from what I've read.
Is there medical science that supports the "bass is less harmful" idea? Have you talked with an Audiologist? Everything mine told me suggested that loud bass is worse for your hearing than loud treble (if by treble we mean above 4K).

In addition, our personal definition of "loud bass" is in reality much louder than treble, causing us to **think** we're doing no long run damage when we actually are.
St7_77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
Haha, what the hell is this?

"You'll never understand"

and

"others like women and V8's with real muscle"

So, women and V8 engines go hand in hand, and if you don't like a car with a giant motor, then you don't like women? Real muscle? Power is power, and if a turbo 4 cylinder can keep up with a V8 that has twice as much displacement, that's not saying good things about the V8.

This is the most comical gatekeeping I've seen in a long time, thanks for the laugh.

I know this thread got necrobumped but this made me laugh. No replacement for displacement for that instant kick in the ass a healthy v8 gives you. And I bet a higher displacement naturally aspirated v8 would outlast a turbo v6 by a good margin. To top it off the girls at my Alma Matre had a thing for v8 trucks (GM mainly). Bryant, AR was redneck as hell back in the 90's before things changed and there was a mass exodus out of Little Rock. So there is a sliver of truth to guys with a v8 under the hood getting the girlI drove a v6 F-150 at the time

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #12

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St7_77 View Post
Is there medical science that supports the "bass is less harmful" idea? Have you talked with an Audiologist? Everything mine told me suggested that loud bass is worse for your hearing than loud treble (if by treble we mean above 4K).

In addition, our personal definition of "loud bass" is in reality much louder than treble, causing us to **think** we're doing no long run damage when we actually are.
I have spoken with an audiologist and they said bass wasnít as harmful as higher frequencies. And this makes sense if you look at the frequencies most people start to lose first. And high frequency loss is not an age issue, it is an environmental issue. This was validated with a test of indigenous people in northern Canada where the elders did not have the hearing loss of most urban citizens. With that said, it doesnít mean loud bass canít cause hearing damage too, just that loud high frequencies would likely cause damage much quicker.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #13

Rep Power: 84 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

I installed car stereos 20+ years ago and now Iím more into home theater than car audio though I will be running a single 12 in my car. Here are some reasons for multiple subs.

* Multiple subs driven at the same volume as a single sub of the same type will have less distortion, so better sound quality.
* Multiple lesser subs might be easier/cheaper to amplify than a single strong subwoofer amplifier. Meaning, a 500/600w sub channel on a 5-channel amp might be cheaper than getting a dedicated mono amp, assuming youíre going to buy multiple multi-channel amps anyway. I ran into this when I switched from a pair of SI BM MK Vs powered by the 5th channel on a pair of Alpine PDX-V9s to a single SI RM-12 and had to buy a 1x1200w Alpine PDX-M12.
* Multiple subs might help reach higher output at deeper frequencies. Just because you have the capability doesnít mean you need to utilize the full capability. A single sub may not have as much output as desired below 30 Hz, as an example.
* if your sub has much more output potential but you donít use the potential, the sound quality will be better because the sub wonít be pushed hard.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I have spoken with an audiologist and they said bass wasnít as harmful as higher frequencies. And this makes sense if you look at the frequencies most people start to lose first. And high frequency loss is not an age issue, it is an environmental issue. This was validated with a test of indigenous people in northern Canada where the elders did not have the hearing loss of most urban citizens. With that said, it doesnít mean loud bass canít cause hearing damage too, just that loud high frequencies would likely cause damage much quicker.
Makes sense now. I do know I like my top end rolled off a little more than most people I know.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Old 05-21-2019   #15

Rep Power: 6 St7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Interesting. The way my doc explained it... the hearing part of your ear is like a tongue with hairs (cilia) all over the top and bottom, to hear a high pitch sound, the vibrations only have to shake the first (near the start of it) area of the hairs. To hear bass frequencies it has to move further and further down (longer waves), but this is shaking all the "treble hairs" along the way as well. 4KHz is typically a point of curve and this is where volume abuse induced hearing loss begins, near 4K then as those loosen and fall off it starts spreading out from there.

Very much agreed that it's not simply aging but modern noise. I'd heard of that study as well.
St7_77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #16

Rep Power: 9 BudgetSQ will become famous soon enoughBudgetSQ will become famous soon enoughBudgetSQ will become famous soon enoughBudgetSQ will become famous soon enoughBudgetSQ will become famous soon enoughBudgetSQ will become famous soon enough

I have (2) 12's in infinite baffle configuration. I want lots of headroom on the subwoofer so that I can hear the cello, tympani and string bass notes in Vivaldi, Mozart and Handel, but then be able to turn the subwoofer levels down when listening to Dire Straits and other acoustical numbers. Usually I keep the subwoofer volume on the head unit at 10% maybe 20% and its all I need.

2x MCM 55-2982 Infinite Baffle
BudgetSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BudgetSQ For This Useful Post:
oldschoolpunk13 (06-04-2019)
Old 05-22-2019   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

As others have said, it's primarily about head room and lower distortion. There's just something about the way bass sounds coming from large cone area. It's not always about being loud or using every ounce, but the ability to have large dynamic changes with less distortion.

And sometimes it's all about the window flex... lol...

Josh
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019   #18

Rep Power: 87 syc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown_note View Post
There is a line that is crossed when your system gets to a loudness level where you start damaging your ears, your bass gets way out of proportion with the rest of your speakers, etc.

I also find SPL competitions a strange concept (there's no SQ element at all?).

Once bass starts getting into the 110dB+ range, it will actually begin to make noticeable changes to the atmospheric pressure in the interior of a vehicle. U can quite literally feel the music in the air. U can even get it loud enough to vibrate your whole body and make it hard to breathe. I love that feeling -- and that's the point of playing something louder than human hearing capabilities.

As for SPL competitions, u could make a similar point about almost any competition. How well do u think a top-fuel dragster would do on a road course? U think Tiger Woods could be a star NFL player? SPL vehicles are specifically designed to do 1 thing as well as possible.

All that being said, my system is actually geared toward SQ. I got into car audio for the bass, but I stayed for the imaging and staging. Still love to change the atmospheric pressure in my car though!
syc0path is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019   #19

Rep Power: 42 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycancatt View Post

its kind of like driving a prius, its fine most all the time, great car, does what you ask it to do and just works..but then theres that 1 jackass you need to pass to get over a lane to exit the freeway, and you just don't have the power like your old mustang had to do it..so you miss the exit and gps beeps and says rerouting..in that 1 moment you miss that power.
A Prius in never fine. I'd consider riding my sister's bike before I'd drive a Prius.
Mahapederdon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

one time I got stuck behind two!!

diy.phil
diy.phil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019   #21

Rep Power: 42 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
one time I got stuck behind two!!
I laughed pretty hard at that. I wasnt trying to offend people but it seems they are always in front of you. Like the old fat lady at Walmart you can't get around.
Old 06-07-2019   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

oh. reminds me there's a Walmart thread that I was going to reply this morning on another site. Walmart is starting a grocery delivery service. They of course want be one step better than Amazon/Whole Foods. Walmart will use their employees, any worker that has worked a year there, to deliver food to people's houses, enter the codes (electronic door locks), and then put it in the refrigerators for these customers!!!!!

diy.phil
diy.phil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
oh. reminds me there's a Walmart thread that I was going to reply this morning on another site. Walmart is starting a grocery delivery service. They of course want be one step better than Amazon/Whole Foods. Walmart will use their employees, any worker that has worked a year there, to deliver food to people's houses, enter the codes (electronic door locks), and then put it in the refrigerators for these customers!!!!!
Very happy I'm not working there. Those employees are probably bummed. Or who knows maybe it gets em outside.
Old 06-13-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon View Post
Very happy I'm not working there. Those employees are probably bummed. Or who knows maybe it gets em outside.
Kroger is doing that here in the Little Rock area. A few weeks ago a Kroger employee delivered to a neighbor and fell off into the ditch. Needed a tow truck to get him out. Flood control down here in the bottoms can be tricky if you're not paying attention to where the big ditches are along these narrow roads. With 2wd and a gravel road I always default to "call a tow truck" because I already know my truck ain't gonna get them out especially if they're in there longways.

Old 06-13-2019   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon View Post
A Prius in never fine. I'd consider riding my sister's bike before I'd drive a Prius.
LOL my aunt has a Prius. My mom says it's uglier than the Pinto another one of her sisters had back in the 70's. My aunt with the Prius regrets trading in her Avalon for it but will continue to drive it because that's how she is even though she could go pay cash for anything she wants right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement