Looking to do a clean and somewhat modest bedroom setup - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Looking to do a clean and somewhat modest bedroom setup

I've decided I want to do a somewhat mild but clean sounding setup in a bedroom. Most of it will be for TV watching but also as a reference listening station. I know some of you will say for me to have a reference type of listening area that I need to prep the room for it but shockingly enough in the house I'm not as picky as I am in the truckIt will be what it is and hope I get lucky and sound pretty good too.

Here are the speakers I'm thinking about building with the available flat packs. Reason for me getting the flat packs is I hear they're really nice and worth the money. My time is worth SOMETHING and I trust a CNC way more than I trust myself with a crude rip fence and circular saw. Still up in the air on how I want to finish them.
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t.../ht-8-kit.html
Now, right now I have an entry level Onkyo 5.1 receiver I bought about 10 years ago that can be used. As money allows I'd like to switch over to a home system built a lot like we do our car systems with a way to connect my sources for easy switching to a processor and then to a couple amps. Again this will be on a budget. I want good bang for the buck here. Budget is a relative term because if I feel something is worth the cost of investment I'll buy it. It MUST be of good value and reliability for me to pay up though.

To recap, I just need something to hook the tv up to and a music source unit. I'd be happy with just sticking a flash drive in like I do my headunit in the truck, but considering one of the smaller Fiio units to use at work but also use with this small setup. Also a processor. A minidsp 2x4 with 2.1 plug-in would be perfect for this project I think. And then there's a couple amp...2ch and a mono for an 8" or 10" ported subwoofer. Again, I don't want to spend more than I have to for decent quality and would prefer to buy new.

OR, should I just get my Cerwin Vega LS-12's from my dad that I bought in 01 with my first good income tax refund and freshen up the caps in the crossovers? No clue what kind of shape the surrounds on the woofers are in. They are known to dry rot. Bet they haven't been powered in over 12 years because while he likes good sound he doesn't like taking that extra step to turn on the receiverHe told me yesterday they were still sitting there and to come get them. Man I got multiple threats of bodily harm from the neighbors with those things back when I was just a punk teenager/early 20's kind of guyCalmed down a lot over the past 15 years.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.

Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 1 Week Ago at 09:19 AM..
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Looking to do a clean and somewhat modest bedroom setup

Got the old Vega LS12's in here. Thought one of them was boned but turns out the connections for the fuse the LS12 and LS15 used at the time just had some corrosion on it. They don't sound bad at all on this Onkyo receiver but I would like to get a real processor on them. I honestly think they have some potential if I can actually tune them. I know I won't be happy with anything I put in here unless I can have more than just bass and treble control on them. Typical Cerwin Vega sound signature that's ingrained in my memory.

I'm reaching out to anyone that can help me get set up like I need to be. Let's just set the budget at $600 for a 2ch amp and processor. I would like to have ample l/r eq in the processor as well. All I need to hook into it is tv, cd player, and have a place to hook up an aux source like a Fiio. Guessing I don't need a preamp? Seriously, I'm totally lost in the home audio field.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Rep Power: 82 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Behringer iNuke w/ DSP is very popular on AVS with the DIY crowd. They are more pro audio oriented but they are good, clean amps and pretty inexpensive. The DSP is also pretty good though I havenít used it in a while and donít remember the interface. I have one myself that I use for testing sometimes.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

This one looks perfect for my needs. 160rms x2 at 8 ohms.
https://www.parts-express.com/behrin...-dsp--248-7011
Now, what would be a good preamp to connect at least 3 sources to for easy switching?

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

This preamp was suggested to me by ChrisB as a good budget option.
https://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-Pro...AZYV5WZ3Z3SQJK

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Just got to thinking, I'd only be using one source at a time so could I just have a dongle to connect each source to and go that route? Or is a preamp needed regardless?

Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Rep Power: 82 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
This one looks perfect for my needs. 160rms x2 at 8 ohms.
https://www.parts-express.com/behrin...-dsp--248-7011
Now, what would be a good preamp to connect at least 3 sources to for easy switching?
I just read a review that mentioned fan noise so that is something to consider and I almost forgot about that tidbit. Many have also modded the fans by replacing them with Noctua fans. Let me see if I can come up with other options but there arenít many at that price point with built-in DSP.

Crown XLS-1002 is another popular amp but youíd need to pair it with a MiniDSP 2x4 HD.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Just got to thinking, I'd only be using one source at a time so could I just have a dongle to connect each source to and go that route? Or is a preamp needed regardless?
No preamp necessary. I have driven the amps from my phone using an adapter, which brings up another point, pro audio sometimes uses different connectors (TLS/XLR for input/output) and Speakon for speaker connections. So plan ahead with the adapters.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Ooh not a fan of loud fans that's for sure. That Crown looks like a much better option. Minidsp with 2.1 plug-in would be great for when I add a sub amp.

Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 1 Week Ago at 08:45 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement