two amps one sub, lets debunk this myth!! - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 Hispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enoughHispls will become famous soon enough

Default Re: two amps one sub, lets debunk this myth!!

Worthy of consideration is the fact that when you strap amps their output resistance becomes seriesed so you lose a bit on damping factor. By all accounts unless you need to strap amps to achieve the correct ohm load one amp (gain matched from the same signal) per coil is preferred.

I've never heard of feeding a L and R signal into either coil. Seems to me like that might not be optimum
Hispls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015   #27

Rep Power: 0 artv4nd3l4y will become famous soon enoughartv4nd3l4y will become famous soon enoughartv4nd3l4y will become famous soon enoughartv4nd3l4y will become famous soon enoughartv4nd3l4y will become famous soon enoughartv4nd3l4y will become famous soon enough

Default Re: two amps one sub, lets bebunk this myth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93 View Post
Maybe I've missed something.
In your first couple posts you stated that you agreed with the link you posted.
It sound as though you're know unsure on your stance.

I assume you're referring to subs.
Is this really relevant with the cheap class D power available today?

From your last post: "how would this degrade the life of the speaker".
Unless the varnish/glue holding the coil windings fail and cause a short, what would cause degradation of the speaker?

I think the more important question(s) to ask here is(are): What (or how much more) distortion would be the result of sending stereo/different signals to the coils on a DVC speaker, would it be audible to most people?

I'm trying to understand your thought process here.
Yeah that was the first thing I thought of, little more than a couple hundred can get you a 2000 watt RMS 1 ohm stable monoblock. Still an interesting thread though, always am curious about things like this.
artv4nd3l4y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015   #28

Rep Power: 70 maggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enoughmaggie-g will become famous soon enough

2 year old thread bump. nice.
maggie-g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015   #29

Banned

Rep Power: 0 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

nobody actually answered this question properly, haha...

or they forgot the reason DVC subs were first implemented? Maybe it's just my thinking cap is defective, but I remember when amps were not always bridgeable, and those were used to drive normal speakers but subwoofers were new, and the size of the motor and the cones, meant that more power was needed to run them correctly.

If all you had was basic 20W/ch power limited to 14V input, the use of two channels to a single voice coil former would effectively allow deeper bass extension and output than what was available at the time.

You had a couple of companies that could make 50W/ch at that time, early seventies, but not very many were bridging capable. This too, was a place for DVC subs.

Also, since it was understood that l+r meant that you had to combine both sides to get all the bass into the sub from the source material, you could use a single sub with left plus right input, by driving separate coils on the sub.

the idea that the bass could also cancel out, wasn't pushed so much since most bass at the time was mixed to mono for LP vinyl playback, because stereo bass in the grooves would lead to needle bounce and jump-out.

with CD introduction the source material changed and the need for a stereo bass configuration became more important, while the extra uses of DVC subs for lowering impedance to wring every last watt from the amps, became hot buzz.

then, the market actually produced variable Q subs, using extra coils and technology that made it easy to buy one sub and use it in sealed, ported, or IB configuration.

that should have gone over better, like the Infinity variable Q subs, but it didn't.

The Ascendant Audio Atlas was a well designed speaker hindered by a slightly too small vent in the pole piece. I think it would have done well if someone could have connected the Q coil to a switch that also operated a servo door, so that the sub could play sealed in a smaller enclosure, then open up to a vented alignment while the Q could also change, to a lower Q in the vented box.

then, the same sub that was "tight and clear" in a sealed config playing jazz quartet, would turn into a low bass monster using a port and correct Q tuning. For the rap special, or EDM...
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 94 1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough1styearsi will become famous soon enough

i ran a RF POWER DVC 15 with 4 ohm coils back in 98.i had a punch 800a2 on each coil....
1styearsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2015   #31

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 101 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

As long as the signals are in phase , dosent matter if it's stereo or not it won't matter. And the gains do not have to be matched . It will just play both signals through the movement of the cone. It's like two people carrying a heavy box . One might be stronger than the other they both carry it just fine. As long as one of the people aren't pushing down instead of lifting it will be fine

Could you imagine if someone said hey let's lift this sub box into my car and the person helping was pushing down so the other couldn't lift, I mean , it's a no brainier .

In fact I did it on my car had 2 hd1200/1 on a sundown sad2 15 sold one of the amps now I have one amp same sub . Sub works fine

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
dumdum (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2018   #32

Rep Power: 24 punkrocker will become famous soon enoughpunkrocker will become famous soon enoughpunkrocker will become famous soon enoughpunkrocker will become famous soon enoughpunkrocker will become famous soon enoughpunkrocker will become famous soon enough

If you strap two or more amplifiers together, I think all that happens is that the audio is in-sync. between the two amplifiers. Those RCA cables don't carry a very high wattage load. Does this clarify the thread? Pretty sure at least.
punkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018   #33

Rep Power: 0 Justang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enoughJustang99 will become famous soon enough

I’m trying to figure out if this setup would work properly:

Pioneer P99RS
2x JL XD1000/5v2 amps
1x Dual voice coil sub

I would have to run the Left rca from the P99 to the left sub input of one amp, and the Right rca to the right sub input of the other amp. Then one amp to each voice coil of the sub.
Would this work properly? My main concern is with the auto tune setup of the P99. My thoughts are the P99 would send slightly different signals to each amp and thus not hit the sub equally... thoughts? Suggestions??
Justang99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 163 Lycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura aboutLycancatt has a spectacular aura about

your idea will work except I'd run both rcas to the amp, then y split at the first amp and run to the 2nd amp. set gains very carefully, preferably all the way down then hit the sub out on the pioneer hard to get the output you need. higher voltage into the amps will be nice anyways.

"you will need to use all 31 bands on the eq, qualifying a speaker as better cause you feel it needs lesser eq just means you're not listening closely enough."
Lycancatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018   #35

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koCqdDXTb3s

^^^all the info you need
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jscoyne2 For This Useful Post:
Uncle Lizard (1 Week Ago)
Old 03-04-2019   #36

Rep Power: 0 robertallinson will become famous soon enoughrobertallinson will become famous soon enoughrobertallinson will become famous soon enoughrobertallinson will become famous soon enoughrobertallinson will become famous soon enoughrobertallinson will become famous soon enough

Nothing on that page talks about running two separate amps to one sub.
robertallinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019   #37

Rep Power: 21 Evl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enoughEvl5150 will become famous soon enough

It can be done, it's not that hard. You can run two mono sub rca's, one to each amp (you can use a Y splitter on each cable if need be). Or if the amp has an output, you can run that to the second amp. I'd try to match the gains as close as possible.

OR sell the two amps and buy one BIG amp that will do what you are wanting. Would be easier to tune this way. Less wiring too.
Evl5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 204 WilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond repute

This is the proper way to ruin a sub woofer in a spectacular way. Even if you ran 2 amps to 1 sub, try to remember the timing of the cycles say at 40hz. Thats 40 cycles per second, Im going to try to make this easy. So if either amp or signal is delayed for any reason but a fraction of a fraction second you now have 2 motors fighting each other. This can maybe generate more heat, or just rip each other apart! Running two different frequencies would be epic.

I say ignore physics and do it, perhaps you will time travel if you have enough power.
WilliamS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 161 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Default Re: two amps one sub, lets bebunk this myth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Yes it can be done! I've done this many times in Db Drag. Not recommended for daily driver. You have to match the voltage output of the amps. You can actually run 4 amps on one sub. 2 amps strapped on one voice coil and 2 amps strapped on the other. But I can't stress it enough the voltage output HAS to be matched! If one voice coil will end up frying and sounding like a spring or seizing up!!
What? How does that work then? If they are not matched they donít die period!

Iíve used 5k amps strapped on one coil and 7k amps strapped on another coil... guess what nothing died!

The only way to kill a woofer is excess heat however itís caused or mechanical failure coils are interwound so if one gets hot the other will also, sure one can pop before the other but that doesnít mean they need to have identical voltages or signals even
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019   #40
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Thumbs down Re: two amps one sub, lets debunk this myth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
This is the proper way to ruin a sub woofer in a spectacular way. Even if you ran 2 amps to 1 sub, try to remember the timing of the cycles say at 40hz. Thats 40 cycles per second, Im going to try to make this easy. So if either amp or signal is delayed for any reason but a fraction of a fraction second you now have 2 motors fighting each other. This can maybe generate more heat, or just rip each other apart! Running two different frequencies would be epic.

I say ignore physics and do it, perhaps you will time travel if you have enough power.
The physics of it - is that electricity travels at the speed of light. There is no way it will be "slightly delayed for any reason". There is no reason.

The tweeter frequencies being well imaged at 5-20kHz proves that, and at 40 it is be easier to be perfect... which it already was at 20kHz.

The idea of running two separate frequencies on two separate coils, ignores how the motor works in a quiet profoundly
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement