two amps one sub, lets debunk this myth!! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 pitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enough

Default two amps one sub, lets debunk this myth!!

Some words from Adire Audio, i def agree.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dual...oilDrivers.pdf
pitchblackcls6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 jking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enoughjking29 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: two amps one sub, lets bebunk this myth!!

Nothing on that page talks about running two separate amps to one sub.
jking29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 137 brownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enoughbrownmoses will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to brownmoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking29 View Post
Nothing on that page talks about running two separate amps to one sub.

LMAO. none at all.

Here's Two girls one cup, err, i mean two amps, one sub in a nutshell. They must be strapped if possible ending up as one amp anyway, or you feed two amps to two coils on the same sub (one amp per coil).
the amps must be the same and it very beneficial to gain match the amps to be sure each coil is getting the same power and the same mono signal as to not try to feed a stereo signal to one speaker. Thats it....no myth.

IDQ12v2, ctx65 coax, Cadence txa-6004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWiggins View Post
Well here's a big old loaf pinched in your corn flakes:
brownmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

That's debunk by the way.

'17 Hyundai Sonata SE : Alpine PXE-0850S - Alpine PDX-V9 - Illusion C3CX - Audiofrog GS60 - Kicker SoloClassic15 (x2, IB)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 pitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enoughpitchblackcls6 will become famous soon enough

@ jking29
my bad, should have been more specific, two separate signals to one sub, which could be substituted as also one signal from one amp and one signal from another amp. meaning, as it said in that pdf file:

There's one thing that often comes up about wiring DVC subs, and that is the mistaken conclusion that
running different signals to each voice coil will "ruin" the driver. Let's recall how a dual voice coil driver is
built. Basically, a dual voice coil driver consists of two motors (the voice coils) co-axially mounted (that is,
wound together on the former) to a single diaphragm. The net force on the diaphragm is the sum of the
inputs of the two motors.

So, when we run two different signals to the voice coils, what we find is that the magnetic fields of the two
combine to generate a net TOTAL field that interacts with the static field of the magnets. The two voice
coils NEVER fight each other in a physical way; it's all in the magnetic field.

@brownmoses
as you said, one amp per coil, and matched. I've spent the past year on these forums and the net in general, and its pretty widely accepted that if you feed anything other than a mono signal to amy speaker it will magically eat its self up. all im trying to do is make people understand why it wont. people come to these forums for advice and direction, and it seems most times a good post goes bad because people run off on tangents or start to bicker and take shots at eachother.
just trying to get some info out there to the "less informed"
The Following User Says Thank You to pitchblackcls6 For This Useful Post:
EricsonSony (06-24-2018)
Old 01-03-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 272 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchblackcls6 View Post
So, when we run two different signals to the voice coils, what we find is that the magnetic fields of the two
combine to generate a net TOTAL field that interacts with the static field of the magnets. The two voice
coils NEVER fight each other in a physical way; it's all in the magnetic field.
Can I run 80 Hz to 120 Hz to one voice coil from one amp and run 75Hz and down form another amp to the second voice coil ?

Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011   #7

Banned

Rep Power: 0 PaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enoughPaulD will become famous soon enough

sure you CAN ... may not do much for you
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 272 Oliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enoughOliver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
@ jking29
my bad, should have been more specific, two separate signals to one sub, which could be substituted as also one signal from one amp and one signal from another amp.

There's one thing that often comes up about wiring DVC subs, and that is the mistaken conclusion that
running different signals to each voice coil will "ruin" the driver. Let's recall how a dual voice coil driver is
built. Basically, a dual voice coil driver consists of two motors (the voice coils) co-axially mounted
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
sure you CAN ... may not do much for you
Thanks PaulD,

Yeah my coaxials play from about 120 Hz and up 5.25's , just wanted to make sure my sub could due the co-axial thing too , for the remaining frequencies

Old 01-03-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 280 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Can I run 80 Hz to 120 Hz to one voice coil from one amp and run 75Hz and down form another amp to the second voice coil ?
I would say you can do anything you want, because as your mom used to say, "your special", might be short bus special, but none the less you are special!!!
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

If pitchblackcls6 says it's OK ... then i know I am G-O-L-D-E-N !

Old 01-03-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 cobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enough

As I understand it, the reason DVC subs came about is because of the lack of powerful amps available at the time. So you would hook both channels of one amp to it, not necessarily a mono signal. The coils may not be working together optimally, but it shouldn't harm the woofer.
In other words I disagree that the amps "must" be gain matched perfectly or a mono signal "has" to be used or the amps must be strapped.
If you hook two identical amps to a dvc sub and the gains aren't "matched" you would not damage the sub, both coils would still contribute to the movement of the cone, just not equally.

Edit: I reread post #5 and agree with pitchblackcls6, the woofer will not be harmed.

P99RS and lovin it/ Fountek FR88.....JL 300/2.....250hz and up/ Peerless sls (4)...Sundown 125.2....63-250hz./ Eclipse 88120 TI dvc (2)....Sundown SAZ-2000D...63-n-down.
cobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

JL Audio - Car Audio Systems

What is a dual voice coil speaker?
-
JL Audio Car Audio Systems

Where a dual voice coil subwoofer has an advantage is in giving the user greater wiring flexibility while avoiding speaker-to-speaker series connections

Old 01-03-2011   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
What happens when you run different signals into each voice coil of a dual voice coil speaker?
Essentially, if there is any difference between the signals driving each coil at any given point in time at a given frequency, the voice coils will either fight each other or help each other, depending on the phase relationship of the two signals at that frequency. This is not the same thing as bridging an amplifier and can create undesirable non-linearities and distortion because different input signals at each voice coil create shifts in the speakers electrical parameters.

For this reason, it is advisable to mono-bridge the amplifier whenever possible and connect the voice coils of the dual voice coil speaker together in parallel or series. If a dual voice coil subwoofer must be wired to two independent channels, the inputs to both channels should ideally be the same (summed mono) and every effort should be made to match the gains of both channels as closely as possible.
Hmmm

Old 01-03-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 cobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enoughcobra93 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hmmm
I don't see anything that states damage will occur, only that it's not optimal.
My thoughts on what you posted.

P99RS and lovin it/ Fountek FR88.....JL 300/2.....250hz and up/ Peerless sls (4)...Sundown 125.2....63-250hz./ Eclipse 88120 TI dvc (2)....Sundown SAZ-2000D...63-n-down.
Old 01-07-2011   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93 View Post
I don't see anything that states damage will occur, only that it's not optimal.
My thoughts on what you posted.
But . . . do U want to find out , that towing a boat with a 4 cylinder car can be done - once or twice before you need a new transmission ?

I mean if U do . then GO FOR IT !

Old 01-07-2011   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

so it seems that few people actually read that article, some looked at it but didnt read it.
has anyone actually tried this? im curious to see what the difference would be. how it would actually degrade the life of the speaker.

@oliver- yes you are golden because i said so, thanks for the shout out!
Old 01-08-2011   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
But . . . do U want to find out , that towing a boat with a 4 cylinder car can be done - once or twice before you need a new transmission ?

I mean if U do . then GO FOR IT !
It's interesting to me that you used an analogy that's directly related to a components ability to dissipate heat. The engine that's in front of the transmission is only one variable, a small one at that, that will dictate the life span of the transmission. In fact an eight cylinder with more available torque and a heavy foot will overheat the transmission faster than the four cylinder would. I could go on, but that's not what this topic is about.

I've learned not to concede to other peoples "opinions" if I have a decent grasp of the subject, it may cost me some of the time, but in most cases it turns out ok.

Unless you're approaching the thermal limits of the coil and it's ability to cool itself, no damage will occur. Either the two coils will contribute to motion or one will hinder the other.

Old 01-08-2011   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

cobra93,

Is it worth the price of an amplifier and subwoofer to try it ?

I've seen guys try to use one coil on a DVC sub [ 3 dB less output when you use half the available motor, wrong box as parameters change ], can it be done ... sure !

would you want too ?

Old 01-08-2011   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
so it seems that few people actually read that article, some looked at it but didnt read it.
has anyone actually tried this? im curious to see what the difference would be. how it would actually degrade the life of the speaker.

@oliver- yes you are golden because i said so, thanks for the shout out!
Maybe I've missed something.
In your first couple posts you stated that you agreed with the link you posted.
It sound as though you're know unsure on your stance.

I assume you're referring to subs.
Is this really relevant with the cheap class D power available today?

From your last post: "how would this degrade the life of the speaker".
Unless the varnish/glue holding the coil windings fail and cause a short, what would cause degradation of the speaker?

I think the more important question(s) to ask here is(are): What (or how much more) distortion would be the result of sending stereo/different signals to the coils on a DVC speaker, would it be audible to most people?

I'm trying to understand your thought process here.

Old 01-08-2011   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
cobra93,

Is it worth the price of an amplifier and subwoofer to try it ?

I've seen guys try to use one coil on a DVC sub [ 3 dB less output when you use half the available motor, wrong box as parameters change ], can it be done ... sure !

would you want too ?

How would this cause damage to the amplifier?
Using one coil most certainly changes the T/S parameters, but that's a different subject all together.

I've never seen a sub that only works under one set of enclosure parameters. Have you?
Couple that with the fact that everybody has their own preference as to what sounds good to them and the possible box parameters/wiring configurations are endless.
Would I use only one coil on a DVC sub, if it models/sounds the way I want it to, yes.

Did you read the link in post #1 in regards to using a variable potentiometer on one coil to change the Q of a woofer?
Why would this be suggested/implemented if damage to the woofer would result? This is from a manufacturer of subwoofers and some very good sounding subs, at least that's what I've read.

I don't propose this to be fact, just what makes sense to me based on my knowledge and understanding.

Last edited by cobra93; 01-08-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Old 01-08-2011   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93 View Post
I think the more important question(s) to ask here is(are): What (or how much more) distortion would be the result of sending stereo/different signals to the coils on a DVC speaker, would it be audible to most people?

I'm trying to understand your thought process here.
At 80 Hz and down a large amount of people cannot hear 15% distortion - hence the "My sub took a shit and I was playing it very low"-POSTS

amp is sent into clipping 24/7 because they bought a really cheap ass amp and clipped it til hell wouldn't have it.

End result ?

Old 06-01-2013   #22

12V Company:
Ex Traffic Jamz
Position:
Installer

Rep Power: 0 Muggy will become famous soon enoughMuggy will become famous soon enoughMuggy will become famous soon enoughMuggy will become famous soon enoughMuggy will become famous soon enoughMuggy will become famous soon enough

Yes it can be done! I've done this many times in Db Drag. Not recommended for daily driver. You have to match the voltage output of the amps. You can actually run 4 amps on one sub. 2 amps strapped on one voice coil and 2 amps strapped on the other. But I can't stress it enough the voltage output HAS to be matched! If one voice coil will end up frying and sounding like a spring or seizing up!!
Muggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 116 thomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enoughthomasluke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Yes it can be done! I've done this many times in Db Drag. Not recommended for daily driver. You have to match the voltage output of the amps. You can actually run 4 amps on one sub. 2 amps strapped on one voice coil and 2 amps strapped on the other. But I can't stress it enough the voltage output HAS to be matched! If one voice coil will end up frying and sounding like a spring or seizing up!!
But if both coils are wrapped TOGETHER how would you smoke one and not the other?

"What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of how it is supposed to be."
thomasluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasluke For This Useful Post:
dumdum (03-04-2019)
Old 06-29-2013   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 tagperformance will become famous soon enoughtagperformance will become famous soon enoughtagperformance will become famous soon enoughtagperformance will become famous soon enoughtagperformance will become famous soon enoughtagperformance will become famous soon enough

Default Re: two amps one sub, lets debunk this myth!!

yes you can use 2 amps on either a dvc 4ohm speaker or a 2ohm speaker.
tagperformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 116 Oscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasluke View Post
But if both coils are wrapped TOGETHER how would you smoke one and not the other?
both coils are wound NEXT to each other but they are not wrapped together in the electrical sense. If you were an electron and could physically travel within the wire of a DVC where each coil was on a separate amplifier, and you started "walking" through one lead of coil #1, you would exit the other lead of coil#1---at no time would you be inside of coil #2's wire. They are physically separate.(series/parallel wiring is different---this thread isn't about that)

Another example is that if you took one lead from the outermost coil, and literally unwound it from the former, you could literally unwind that entire coil and have one super long length of straight wire, while the other coil (that was wound first) would still be there on the former completely intact.

That is how you can cause an open coil in one coil of a dual-voice-coil subwoofer if one coil is getting more power than the other. I'm not saying that it happens often, but it is possible.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement