Pillar Pods - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2015   #51

Banned

Rep Power: 0 gu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Pillar Pods

Heads up:I'm waiting for my pods over month now
gu9cci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015   #52

Rep Power: 71 jsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enough

There was apparently a postal worker strike in Germany that slowed things down a bit. I just received my order today. Ordered 8/3. They look great. Though I bought them with the intention of mounting HAT L1ís and canít yet figure how to mount them into the PODs. I can only figure having to drill/tap set screws through the side to hold the tweeter in place.
jsnstanley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2015   #53

Rep Power: 60 SQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enough

Was thinking about spending 1k on pillars, but these look great! Though as some have stated im worried about the sound. Are they too small? Do they make any unwanted sounds? Then again mids in the pillars may have less air room? And lastly, i have no fab experience, i have no idea how to mount these without them maybe falling off or rattling
SQToyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015   #54

Rep Power: 71 jsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enoughjsnstanley will become famous soon enough

I received my pods listed for Legatia L1 on Ebay. No way of mounting that tweeter into these pods though. I emailed him and the response was that, it was necessary to Glue it in. Hmmm. So Iím going to take my new H.A.T. Legatia L1 Pro R2ís and Glue them into these beautiful black anodized aluminum pods. ?? I guess I will attempt drill/tapping these out for set screws.
Old 09-03-2015   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 lizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enough

I love my PODS. Drilled and tapped for my 3" drivers. I can't complain one bit.
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2015   #56

They do look nice!
I’ll most definitely make them work.
Old 09-03-2015   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardking View Post
I love my PODS. Drilled and tapped for my 3" drivers. I can't complain one bit.
Do you have pics of these installed? What were you able to set the crossover at for midbass/midrange conversion? I guess what I want to know is were there any negatives in the freq. response due to te enclosure being too small for the driver.

2007 Lexus RX400h Pioneer Z110BT Alpine H800
Mosconi One 120.4 Audison LRx5.1k
Illusion C8, Morel Ultimo 12
Scan D3004 Audible Physics AR3/a in pillars
james2266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2015   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 lizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enough

I'm not running the drivers anywhere near FS, so enclosure size is not that big of factor. However, I would say the pods have tad more volume then 3" PVC end caps. I have mine crossed at 309hz @ LR 24db. I'm not much of a picture taker, but will try to get a couple shots.
Old 09-03-2015   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 james2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enoughjames2266 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardking View Post
I'm not running the drivers anywhere near FS, so enclosure size is not that big of factor. However, I would say the pods have tad more volume then 3" PVC end caps. I have mine crossed at 309hz @ LR 24db. I'm not much of a picture taker, but will try to get a couple shots.
309 Hz/24 db. that's not bad at all actually. Lower than I'm running my AP drivers currently. Will be addressing that in the coming days as I now have all my amps working properly again. Did you notice any rise in the response from of the drivers just north of that cross point? If you could grab us a pic I think many would be appreciative not the least of which would be me.

2007 Lexus RX400h Pioneer Z110BT Alpine H800
Mosconi One 120.4 Audison LRx5.1k
Illusion C8, Morel Ultimo 12
Scan D3004 Audible Physics AR3/a in pillars
james2266 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2015   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

No big rise that I recall. Typical random peaks that were fixed by EQ
Old 09-03-2015   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 106 Fetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnstanley View Post
I received my pods listed for Legatia L1 on Ebay. No way of mounting that tweeter into these pods though. I emailed him and the response was that, it was necessary to Glue it in. Hmmm. So Iím going to take my new H.A.T. Legatia L1 Pro R2ís and Glue them into these beautiful black anodized aluminum pods. ?? I guess I will attempt drill/tapping these out for set screws.
Maybe not ideal, but if you didn't want to risk drilling and tapping, you could try butyl tape...
Fetus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetus View Post
Maybe not ideal, but if you didn't want to risk drilling and tapping, you could try butyl tape...
I was considering that as well though Iím afraid in Phoenix temperatures It could be messy.
Old 09-04-2015   #63
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 71 brumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enoughbrumledb will become famous soon enough

I am trying to decide if I want to try these or try my hand at modding my pillars. These would definitely be cheaper and easier to install but I think the modded pillars look better. Decisions, decisions.
brumledb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 106 Fetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enoughFetus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnstanley View Post
I was considering that as well though Iím afraid in Phoenix temperatures It could be messy.
I have used butyl to hold tweeters in place before, and it gets pretty warm here. Granted, I probably wouldn't use it on anything heavier than a tweeter...
Fetus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 WhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enough

I ordered a pair of his pillar pods for the FR89's, just like lizardking. I didn't go through eBay, just dealt with him directly via email. Little bit of a language barrier but he delivered the goods at a good price. Took a litte less than 1 month but he always kept in contact. My enclosures look just like the ones lizardking posted. Very high quality with not a nick or scratch on the black aluminum. I'm very pleased.

No resonances and they seem to play fine down to 400Hz with no problem. There's enough airspace for the mid to play down to 400Hz. It may be a while till i get them installed but anyone worried about quality or airspace (lack of) shouldn't have a problem unless your trying to play the mid lower than 300Hz or so. I thought I noticed the mid struggling some at 300Hz but I need to test more. I just got them today and wanted to make sure they would work for my application (400Hz - 6kHz). They do.

I'm happy enough that I may holler at him for a tweeter set.
WhippingBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015   #66

Rep Power: 60 SQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enoughSQToyota will become famous soon enough

Leaning more towards these now, just not sure how to mount them, vibrations ect may be an issue

~PM if any events in the bay area~

+JL Audio - Phoenix Gold+
Old 09-08-2015   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

I mounted mine using the threaded hollow rod only and a nice big washer on the backside. Mine don't bounce around at all. Very solid.
Old 09-08-2015   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 WhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enoughWhippingBoy will become famous soon enough

The pods are setup with the hardware to be mounted to the a-pillars and then tightened using the nuts to sandwich the pillar. The threaded post that goes into the pod and pillar is hollow, allowing the speaker wire to be unseen and routed out and down to your amp.

It looks like he is custom machining out of aluminum stock for every order. The pods aren't painted black, they are anodized black so fading shouldn't be a big issue. You can see inside the pod where it looks like the CNC was hollowing out the inside of the pod.

My biggest concern is heat. Man, you know these little black pods are going to get hot as hell sitting in the sun soaking up the UV. Better use the sunshade....
WhippingBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2015   #69

Not sure if my plastic a-pillars are strong enough, or did you thread into sheet metal behind the plastic covers

~PM if any events in the bay area~

+JL Audio - Phoenix Gold+
Old 09-08-2015   #70

Rep Power: 68 HK53sbr will become famous soon enoughHK53sbr will become famous soon enoughHK53sbr will become famous soon enoughHK53sbr will become famous soon enoughHK53sbr will become famous soon enoughHK53sbr will become famous soon enough

Received mine about a week and a half ago. After getting some info from HAT, I realize that my original plan of using the L3SE's with no tweeter support ain't gonna happen. So now I'm debating to run 3-way, or simply glass some pods for the a-pillars to get them the airspace they need. These pods are very nice looking. Kinda bought them on a whim. Can't really do anything til my updated amplification comes in, but I will hook them up to see just what kind of FR the pods will allow.

Last edited by HK53sbr; 09-08-2015 at 07:54 PM..
HK53sbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 pcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enough

Just got mine yesterday, about 18 days to ship to Toronto. Everything as promised, look great attached to my a-pillars...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150908_165545.jpg (81.2 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg 20150908_191934.jpg (47.6 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 20150908_191908.jpg (48.9 KB, 287 views)

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0->Lava STS-3U->Powered Hub->SMSL X-USB->Helix DSP PRO-> ALPINE PDX V9 -> Active 2way front + sub (Scan Illuminator Tweets and MIDs, IDQ12v3 D2 Sub)

Last edited by pcpete; 09-09-2015 at 08:11 PM..
pcpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015   #72

Banned

Rep Power: 0 gu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enoughgu9cci will become famous soon enough

18 days from order date or for shipping only
Old 09-09-2015   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 pcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enoughpcpete will become famous soon enough

Shipping only...once we agreed on everything and he sent me pics of final product...it then took 18 days

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0->Lava STS-3U->Powered Hub->SMSL X-USB->Helix DSP PRO-> ALPINE PDX V9 -> Active 2way front + sub (Scan Illuminator Tweets and MIDs, IDQ12v3 D2 Sub)
Old 09-09-2015   #74

Banned

Been month and half and I don't have mine yet
Does he use horses for shipping transport?
I'm really disappointed with the turnaround time
Old 09-09-2015   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

That doesn't sound right....maybe ask him to track it down or something?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement