JL HD900/5 potentiometer defect - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 108 goodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enough

Default JL HD900/5 potentiometer defect

I have a jl hd900/5 that is having problem with the gain control on the sub channel. Everything work fine but when anything touch the gain control it start making cracking noise and if I turn the gain all the way down it still sound loud. So I'm guessing it the potentiometer that is defected. I called JL and told them about it and they told me the same thing. But they won't sell me just the potentiometer instead they told me that they charge a flat rate of 180 to fix the amp. I try calling Tocos which is the manufacturer of the potentiometer for the JL HD amp but they don't have it either. Can anyone here help me with locating a replacement potentiometer for the JL HD amp.
goodguyocom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: JL HD900/5 potentiometer defect

Does it have a value on the top or any of its sides? Like 20k,50k? How many pins does it have (should have 6, but that's the common pot used for gains)?

Have you done the usual diagnosing (switch: wires, speakers, rca)?

If your handy with the solder iron, then I would suggest removing it and testing it outside the circuit. ONLY after you determine it is in fact the amplifier that is faulty.

You can also try DeoxIt to see if that helps any. Which I doubt since the amplifier is new (meaning its not over 5 years old).

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 108 goodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enoughgoodguyocom will become famous soon enough

The number on the trimmer is 20A502 94C. It is square with dual trimmer and 6 pin. I'm very positive it is the potentiometer. I just need to locate a replacement.

Old 07-10-2013   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

It is the one on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 07-10-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Here another picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-10-2013   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

There's a replacement...trust me. Its a 5K AUDIO 20% pot, Bourns or Vishay should make one similar.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
Old 07-10-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Can you help me find one? I would really appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Boom....who's your daddy?

Mouser has it on ORDER, so you'll have to wait about 6-8weeks before you actually get it shipped to you. Check Digikey or other well know distributors.

TIP: Make sure you measure the pin lay out for the original and check out the datasheet of the pot I suggested and make sure it fits properly. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE for it not been the same pin lay out (as I clearly don't have the amplifier in front of me). Also not sure if yours is Linear or Audio taper....I am assuming its Audio but confirm with the manufacture of the pot or JL.

Last edited by TrickyRicky; 07-10-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Old 07-10-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

But the estimated ship date is not till end of next month.
Old 07-10-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I can see if I have one in my component box, I have a few pots but as you will find out they are all different in many ways (pin lay out, function: audio/linear, resistance, tolerance, material used, shaft size and length, and much much more).

Look around for it, Digikey or Arrow may have it. Just be advise some carry some very heavy S&H fees even on their smallest orders. Others will have a minimum piece or $$ before order can be placed (welcome to my world).

Old 07-10-2013   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 372 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

OP, did you check with Digikey, Grainger, or MCM Electronics?

Ricky, is it typical for these to have a 20% tolerance? I knew that they weren't very accurate, but wow.
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
OP, did you check with Digikey, Grainger, or MCM Electronics?

Ricky, is it typical for these to have a 20% tolerance? I knew that they weren't very accurate, but wow.
All the amplifiers that I have had in front of me had a 20% tolerance pots on the gain section (besides those amps that have built in DSP) just different resistance.

Old 07-11-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks alot Ricky. I will desolder the pot again and get the measurement of everything and contact mousers. It was alot of help knowing the resistance value and and how many ohms.
Old 07-11-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

No problem, am glad I was able to help. Once you have it out you can test it to ensure it is the pot that's faulty. If you need further help testing it let me know and I'll help you further more. But its quite simple you'll see (both sections of the pot have to be IDENTICAL, for example if you have 100ohms between pin 1 and pin 2 (wiper) you should have the same (or very close to 100ohms) on the same set of pins but on the second section of the pot (each three pins is one section/pot). If they are the same while the pot is turn counter-clockwise, then set the pot to the middle and re-check, then turn it fully clockwise and check it again.

If both are the same when turning the pot, then its pretty balanced (both channels are getting the same amount of gain). Now check to make sure your reading atleast 10ohms one way and atleast 4.9k when turn the opposite way (gain control turned). If this is what your reading, then your pot is good and you may have other issues.

If you look at the schematics/diagram for the pots you'll see how exactly they work and you can verify if it is in deed properly working or not. You'll see that pin 2 is usually the wiper on most of the pots.

Old 07-15-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

think the pot was lose. I desolder it then solder it back on now it work like it should. thanks for the help ricky
Old 07-15-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Glad you got it working, maybe cold solder joint.

Old 09-27-2013   #17

Rep Power: 81 ndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enoughndramountanis will become famous soon enough

That was a cheap fix... How did you figure out it was the pot initially?
ndramountanis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018   #18
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Napoleon of DIYMA

Rep Power: 148 basshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura aboutbasshead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyRicky View Post
Boom....who's your daddy?

Mouser has it on ORDER, so you'll have to wait about 6-8weeks before you actually get it shipped to you. Check Digikey or other well know distributors.

TIP: Make sure you measure the pin lay out for the original and check out the datasheet of the pot I suggested and make sure it fits properly. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE for it not been the same pin lay out (as I clearly don't have the amplifier in front of me). Also not sure if yours is Linear or Audio taper....I am assuming its Audio but confirm with the manufacture of the pot or JL.
JL wanted 180$ to fix my HD1200/1 with a bad gain pot, replaced it with the Bourns pot you mentioned and the amp is back in service.

Thanks!

2012 IASCA SBN SQi Champion "Pro/Am"
2011 IASCA North American Runner-Up and SQi Champion "Pro/AM"
2011 IASCA Canadian Champion "Pro/Am"
2010 IASCA North American Champion "Rookie"
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement