Table saw / router combo - in a mobile cart - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 83 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Default Table saw / router combo - in a mobile cart

I have a one car garage and efficient use of space is paramount for me...

Sooooo, I am trying to plan and design a cart that holds the router and table saw, with a built in shop vac to collect dust.

This picture is the closest I could find, but it needs to be much smaller than this:

It HAS to have an aluminum or stainless steel top and I'd like the whole top (router and saw sides both) to be perfectly flush and level.

Probably going to use birch plywood to frame it, because it has a lot of strength in a narrow profile (compared to framing it with 2x4s). No MDF of any kind anywhere!

It will need some pretty big, sturdy wheels to be able to roll it in and out of the garage a lot.

Any suggestions??

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco ST & Mosconi Pico amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio M9
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep.

Last edited by DavidRam; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:30 AM..
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 20 RRWWS will become famous soon enoughRRWWS will become famous soon enoughRRWWS will become famous soon enoughRRWWS will become famous soon enoughRRWWS will become famous soon enoughRRWWS will become famous soon enough

Depending on if your table saw is left or right tilt - I would move the router closer to the table saw surface and share the table saw fence as the router fence then your entire footprint can be shrunk to however narrow you like. If your handling full size sheet goods the extra width is sure nice to have.

I'd think 4" locking swivel castor's would work - kreg makes a nice castor set that locks the wheel and the swivel for their universal bench kit. I think they are 3" castor's but they are rock solid.
RRWWS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to RRWWS For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 163 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Default Re: Table saw / router combo - in a mobile cart

Your bare minimum there is about half the space shown. The table saw and the small outfeed to the right stay and the router can be mounted into that outfeed on the right.
Remove the cabinetry underneath and put folding legs on the bottom, when not in use fold the legs under and stand it up on end router and table saw down to fit in about 2' square by whatever height it works out to be.

NCSQ
Notloudenuf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Notloudenuf For This Useful Post:
beak81champ (4 Weeks Ago), DavidRam (4 Weeks Ago)

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Rep Power: 8 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

You may wish to think about what height you prefer for both the saw and the router. I know many folks prefer to have the router higher. If this is true, you may wish to have the router table be a separate unit that can be mounted on top of the table saw when needed.
Fine Woodworking has some good books on jigs/tables/workshops that may be useful and available through your library.
You should leave room for a Dust Deputy or similar.
What table saw do you have?
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNewbie For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 83 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

I don't have the table saw yet, nor the router table insert... I want to purchase them based on what would work with this cart.
The saw will most likely be one of the compact Dewalt or Bosch ones.

Also, I do have a height restriction (not sure what it is of the top of my head), because the cart will need to store under my work bench. Its somewhere around 30", so I might need to make the cart able to raise up for comfortable use... Damn, that really complicates things.

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco ST & Mosconi Pico amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio M9
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 8 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

If you want the router at the same height, you could have the router sit in a flip-up side table.
DavidRam (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

You will kill your back if you try working at 30" (unless you're under 5' tall!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldNewbie For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (4 Weeks Ago), Notloudenuf (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbie View Post
You will kill your back if you try working at 30" (unless you're under 5' tall!)
I'm 6' 2"! Lol

I will definitely figure out something to jack it up with...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

What about a base on wheels with the vac and deputy enclosed under 30", maybe 24-28". Then two tops for either saw or router that would sit on top?
You may wish to mount the wheels beside rather than under the vac so the saw can mount on top and not be too tall.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Enthusiast

Quote:
What about a base on wheels with the vac and deputy enclosed under 30", maybe 24-28". Then two tops for either saw or router that would sit on top?
You may wish to mount the wheels beside rather than under the vac so the saw can mount on top and not be too tall.
I really wanted both to be in one cart... I am maxed out on both storage and work space. I literally have this one space under my bench that could hold this contraption.

I agree with you on the wheels, they will be side mounted like an old rat rod! Lol

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11

What is the height of your shop vac?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12

Enthusiast

Quote:
What is the height of your shop vac?
I have a small one, about 14" high, but I will need to modify it to fit, or replace it... I already figured I would be making the dust collector container. The table saw is about 13" high.
I am not worried about lots of fabrication and modifications to make this thing work.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Do you need the cabinet for storage? Or to assist in dust collection?

What about a cabinet saw or a contractor saw with something like this?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

2018 Crosstrek
Helix P SIX Mk2-AF Gs690 GB15-SI RM12- Zapco Z-2kd
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to miniSQ For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
Do you need the cabinet for storage? Or to assist in dust collection?

What about a cabinet saw or a contractor saw with something like this?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
Hey, that's cool... The top part would be great with both built in like that.

I don't "need" storage, it's just for just the router, saw and dust collection... Whatever nooks and crannies are left, I can use for router bits, blades, etc..

Could you give me the link for the product itself please?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 47 Dan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enough

Does it have to hold both at the same time. Looking at that picture the first thing that came to my mind is swapping them out. The table saw sits in as pictured and the router has a top with insert you drop in after you pull the saw.
Dan750iL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan750iL For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan750iL View Post
Does it have to hold both at the same time. Looking at that picture the first thing that came to my mind is swapping them out. The table saw sits in as pictured and the router has a top with insert you drop in after you pull the saw.
Yes, it really does or it would defeat the purpose a little bit... A small version of the one pictured in the first post is right on.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 47 Dan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enough

Gotcha.

I may build one for my uber tiny workspace. Thanks for the idea.
Dan750iL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan750iL For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

hmmm how can yours be a uber tiny workspace if you can have a mobile cart ha ha. My table saw sits on a simple metal stand (came with it) and the floor space/area needed is the same as the top surface area. Then each time I'll slowly scoot it out the side door to the sideyard so that I don't make a mess inside the garage lol.

edit: each time after I get it out there, I always tell myself I should have gotten a roller stand too

diy.phil

Last edited by diy.phil; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:21 PM..
diy.phil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to diy.phil For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
hmmm how can yours be a uber tiny workspace if you can have a mobile cart ha ha. My table saw sits on a simple metal stand (came with it) and the floor space/area needed is the same as the top surface area. Then each time I'll slowly scoot it out the side door to the sideyard so that I don't make a mess inside the garage lol.

edit: each time after I get it out there, I always tell myself I should have gotten a roller stand too
Pretty much what I want to do too... I need to be able to store it under a work bench, but be able to pull it out, plug it in and have a very nice and functional work surface ready to go.
Almost something like the big boys have, but just scaled down for the little garage boys!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

Enthusiast

Btw, here is my tiny garage... Behind the Jeep there is about 4 feet of depth from the bumper to the wall.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21

Dave,

First off, trade that Jeep in for a Hyundai Accent - you'll have LOTS of room! At 6-2, I'm sure you'll fit in it fine. LOL

I am envisioning two boxes that sit on top of each other. The lower one, about 16” tall, with locking wheels on the side housed the vac/dust collection and extension cord (plus misc parts). The upper one has the saw plus router in a base in a small extension, similar to your original but smaller – about 13” tall. Together about 29-30” (please measure workbench clearance) The two boxes are connect loosely with four vertical pipes (or similar) in the corners, allowing the top box to be raised after it is pulled out from under the workbench. A double plate that is hinged and connected to top and bottom will fold out and lock when top box is lifted to working height (40”?). The double plate can be unlocked and folded back down for storage.
Thoughts?
DavidRam (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22

Enthusiast

Quote:
Dave,

First off, trade that Jeep in for a Hyundai Accent - you'll have LOTS of room! At 6-2, I'm sure you'll fit in it fine. LOL

I am envisioning two boxes that sit on top of each other. The lower one, about 16” tall, with locking wheels on the side housed the vac/dust collection and extension cord (plus misc parts). The upper one has the saw plus router in a base in a small extension, similar to your original but smaller – about 13” tall. Together about 29-30” (please measure workbench clearance) The two boxes are connect loosely with four vertical pipes (or similar) in the corners, allowing the top box to be raised after it is pulled out from under the workbench. A double plate that is hinged and connected to top and bottom will fold out and lock when top box is lifted to working height (40”?). The double plate can be unlocked and folded back down for storage.
Thoughts?

Lol! Not a chance. This is my 4th Grand Cherokee, I love them.

If I understood it correctly, your description pretty much nailed it. I need to measure the work bench...

I am picturing the table saw positioned with the blade facing left to right (instead of front to back like the first picture), for an extended surface to help rip longer boards. These compact table saws are almost square, so it wouldn't change the overall size to pivot it...

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 163 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwDesx2h5qE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dpHGNQaXxI

Several people have been using scissor jacks to make adjustable tops. The above are a few versions. Maybe the idea will get the wheels turning.

NCSQ
Notloudenuf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Notloudenuf For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24

Rep Power: 51 Focused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enough

If my garage was that tight on space, I would pass on the table saw and stick with a circular saw and a guide. The cost of a saw guide can be from a few bucks for a really straight 1x2 or really nice track saw setups.

I own a table saw and still frequently use the circular saw and guide. It's often quicker and easier to pull out and pack away after use than the table saw. For most box building, that setup is more than accurate enough, and the router takes care of the rest.

Router table is pretty much a must have though.
Focused4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Focused4door For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25

Notloudenuf,
Those are great for lifting large loads. The workbench in the video was heavy! I've seen hydraulic versions as well. Dave will have to consider the space needed for the mech. They normally have to have the mech more or less directly under the center of the lifted mass to avoid racking/jamming. The dust collection system would need to fit around it. Considering the relatively low mass of the saw/router, I think the mechanical assist may not be needed. If it is, this would be a great way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement