Advanced Mechanization: Is Anyone Doing This Anymore?? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 privateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enough

Default Advanced Mechanization: Is Anyone Doing This Anymore??

I see a lot of post regarding fiberglass techniques etc. These are fantastic reads however fiberglass really isn't that Challenging. For me the difficulty in fiber glassing is being efficient with time. Work smarter not harder.

What I don't see and what I would really enjoy reading/learning about are installers that are implementing advanced mechanization in their builds. With all of the advances in technology to make fabrication of this type affordable (3D printers etc.) there is no better time to let it all hang out and do some next level integration.

I'm not talking mechanization on a Fishman, show car level. I would like to see mechanization that makes an install more convenient for the user. For example, I am in the middle of designing a motorized holder for my DSP controller into my ashtray location. I work with solid modeling and have access to a 3D printer so I'm going to give it a go. I have no idea what I will use to control the movement but I'll figure it out. It would be nice to have some references to help the brainstorm.

With that being said: Does anyone have a good resource for these kinds of techniques?
privateer82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 99 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Advanced Mechanization: Is Anyone Doing This Anymore??

I like this type of stuff too. Rc car motors and kill switches. Cabinet rails and jewelry box hinges. The 90's were great for these things.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 304 LBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond reputeLBaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Im thinkering about motorized drivers on A-pillars.....

For Fast Moving Concerts
Team LB audio
Team Hybrid Audio
Team BRAX
Team SCB
LBaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 0 privateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enoughprivateer82 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
I like this type of stuff too. Rc car motors and kill switches. Cabinet rails and jewelry box hinges. The 90's were great for these things.
RIGHT! But instead of massive relay banks and microswitches, I see things like Raspberry Pi's able to control very complex systems, 3D printed gizmos (hinges, cover plates etc.). At this point "the world is our oyster".

The amount of views in this thread indicate that we are not alone in our interest in such a thing. Hopefully someone will chime in with something of value.
privateer82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Rep Power: 0 justin30513 will become famous soon enoughjustin30513 will become famous soon enoughjustin30513 will become famous soon enoughjustin30513 will become famous soon enoughjustin30513 will become famous soon enoughjustin30513 will become famous soon enough

Linear actuators have gotten a lot less expensive with the availability to buy straight from China.
You can check out different styles on AliExpress.com.
Different worm drive setups or something I've looked at for smaller spaces as the motor is offset to an area that has more room.
They're still a great Demand for motorization in my opinion. I'm sorry but after going to files last year I have seen that so many cars have the appearance of being, well, lazy?
But then again I've seen so many judges not even open the trunk or hood see what is actually installed. No presentations done either.
I'm sad actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
justin30513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 161 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin30513 View Post
Linear actuators have gotten a lot less expensive with the availability to buy straight from China.
You can check out different styles on AliExpress.com.
Different worm drive setups or something I've looked at for smaller spaces as the motor is offset to an area that has more room.
They're still a great Demand for motorization in my opinion. I'm sorry but after going to files last year I have seen that so many cars have the appearance of being, well, lazy?
But then again I've seen so many judges not even open the trunk or hood see what is actually installed. No presentations done either.
I'm sad actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Today install is a separate competition from sound quality. While pretty much all competitors enter the sound judging portion, only a handful enter the install competition. This allows competitors that don't have a completed install or does not want to put the money and time into a custom show quality install to still be able to compete. However it is still a goal of many competitors to have a great sounding system along with a great looking install. Most car audio organizations only give best of show awards to competitors that enter both sound and install portions of the events.

As a former judge and competitor, its best that the sound judges don't see what equipment is in the car or how it is installed. As a competitor I want the sound judges to just concentrate on the sound, not on what brands of equipment I am using or how my install is done. I've encountered too many biased judges in the past that judge sound with their eyes rather than their ears. I've had judges tell me my car sounds great and score me really high, then tell me if they knew I was using "brand X" equipment or mounted the speakers in certain places, they would not have scored me as good as they did.

In the early '90s any motorization was cool and got bonus points in competition. Then judges required that the motorization served a purpose, such as moving the amp rack out of the way to access a spare tire under the rack. Then judges looked for improper use of motorization, such as a motorized amp rack over top of the fuse block rack. What happens if the fuse to the linear actuator blew, how could you get to the fuses if they are under the motorized panel? Many top judges stopped giving out bonus install points for motorization they had seen over and over in many different systems.

As time went by motorization kind of faded out. The top competitors built their system to the "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle. The more complex the system was, the bigger the chance of it not doing something correct, and actually losing install points for it. Why have a motorized amp rack if the rack would flex when in its "up" position? In this case the system would loose points for not having the amplifiers mounted solidly.

I think motorization is still cool if used in a logical situation and increases the value and usability of the system. Just having a motorized panel just to have something motorized in your system does not excite me.
cmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement