GPS Antenna Adapater? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 Dremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enough

Default GPS Antenna Adapater?

Hey all,

New car had factory navigation double-din unit. I am replacing it with a single din fold-out that does everything the factory did and putting my HU from my previous car in the other half.

My question is: the factory unit used a square-shaped GPS antenna connector, but my aftermarket uses a round GPS antenna connector. I'd really prefer not to go through the extra work of installing the antenna that came with my aftermarket navigation if I can find a way to use the stock antenna. I was wondering if they made adapters for this sort of thing? I tried a google search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.
Dremgragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: GPS Antenna Adapater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dremgragen View Post
Hey all,

New car had factory navigation double-din unit. I am replacing it with a single din fold-out that does everything the factory did and putting my HU from my previous car in the other half.

My question is: the factory unit used a square-shaped GPS antenna connector, but my aftermarket uses a round GPS antenna connector. I'd really prefer not to go through the extra work of installing the antenna that came with my aftermarket navigation if I can find a way to use the stock antenna. I was wondering if they made adapters for this sort of thing? I tried a google search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.
Post pics
96jimmyslt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 Dremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enoughDremgragen will become famous soon enough

First two are aftermarket connectors.

Second two are stock connectors.

Basically, picture 4 needs to plug into picture 1.

I need an adapter to look like picture 3 (accepting picture 4) on one end and the other end to be like picture 2 (plugging into picture 1).

It's night time, sorry for darkness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPSroundfemale.JPG (37.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GPSroundmale.JPG (46.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GPSsquarefemale.JPG (51.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GPSsquaremale.JPG (30.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 04-14-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough96jimmyslt is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dremgragen View Post
First two are aftermarket connectors.

Second two are stock connectors.

I need a part to be like picture 3 (accepting picture 4) on one end and the other end to be like picture 1 (plugging into picture 2).

It's night time, sorry for darkness.
Man, just stick the GPS antenna behind or under the head unit.

That's what I did.

I have my GPS antenna and wires behind the AC/HEAT knobs. No problems at all.

Then you don't have to run the wires anywhere.

Try it. Power it on and just put the antenna in the glove box and with no direct access to the satellites.

I think you are underestimating the strength of GPS.
96jimmyslt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96jimmyslt View Post
I think you are underestimating the strength of GPS.
Maybe I am. I've never had it before. I drove the same Honda Civic for 12 years. It didn't even have air conditioning.
Old 04-14-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
ID Online - www.incaraudiovideo.com
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 112 InCarAudioVideo will become famous soon enoughInCarAudioVideo will become famous soon enoughInCarAudioVideo will become famous soon enoughInCarAudioVideo will become famous soon enoughInCarAudioVideo will become famous soon enoughInCarAudioVideo will become famous soon enoughInCarAudioVideo will become famous soon enough

You can make the adapter yourself if you want.

Bring the aftermarket antenna to radioshack and see if you can find a similar "male" plug, as well as a female plug that fit your factory antenna. Buy the cable (I'm guessing its a regular coax, or any radio antenna cable).

Failing that, you can cut the round male plug and solder the square male plug from your aftermarket. This is riskier, but its pretty straight forward. Since its only an antenna, there's no polarity in the wiring.

Actually, what 96jimmyslt is even more simple, just run the aftermarket antenna somewhere and it will work fine.

Dave
InCarAudioVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

There is a center channel speaker in the dash. The grille is much larger than the speaker behind it. I bet I can fit the end of the antenna in there with little effort. Thanks for the advice guys.

Just realized I made a typo in post title. Oops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement