Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/)
-   General Car Audio Discussion (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/)
-   -   HU Installation Help Needed, Please (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/106779-hu-installation-help-needed-please.html)

drwang 06-02-2011 10:10 PM

HU Installation Help Needed, Please

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer with a stock HU would still turn on but play no sound from the speakers.

So I replaced the front 6x8 speakers and installed a new HU. With the help of the wiring harness and antenna adapter, matching colors and soldering the connections was a breeze. But there was another plug that wasn't being utilized. Attached is a picture for reference.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...g84/photo1.jpg

Powered on the unit and it turns on fine but still no sound.

I checked the wires on the harness that were not used, and they are "amp turn on" and "amp ground" and "illumination", and "dimmer." I assume the amp turn on and ground are for an upgrade separate amp. Right now I just want to get the Head unit working with the stock speakers. Then I will probably upgrade from there, depending on how it sounds.

InCarAudioVideo 06-03-2011 12:03 AM

Re: HU Installation Help Needed, Please

What's your question?

Is it not working with the stock HU or aftermarket HU?

The dimmer and illumination wires on the harness can be left not used.

Do you have Ford Explorer with standard sound system or audiophile amplified sound system?

The extra harness plug is not used with standard sound system, its for AUX retention of factory 3.5 mm audio input.

bfowler 06-03-2011 12:04 AM

it sounds like there is a factory amp that isnt turning on. does your explorer have the factory "upgrade" sound (i think ford does jbl?) does the vehicle have a factory subwoofer?

my initial thought is that you purchased the harness for whichever option you dont have, which may have a different pin pattern

drwang 06-03-2011 12:14 AM

Factory head unit did not play sound before the installation of the aftermarket HU. The factory speakers are manufactured by Ford and there is no subwoofer.

Yes there is an AUX input by the arm rest,...which makes sense now...thanks for that info!

My question is how can we diagnose the issue of no sound coming from the speakers.

Only thing I can think of is maybe checking the fuse for the radio is not blown. But I would assume the headunit would not turn on if the fuse is blown...

InCarAudioVideo 06-03-2011 12:17 AM

that model ford has "audiophile" amplifier upgrade.

and yes there are 2 metra harness that you can buy, one for standard audio the other for upgraded audio. but the harness for upgraded audio comes with the extra cable for factory aux retention, since you didn't get that cable I'm guessing you got the right harness for standard factory audio.

you can get that factory aux retention harness for around $10.

so is your problem solved? do you have more question?

drwang 06-03-2011 12:24 AM

I don't think I will buy the $10 aux adapter. There is an AUX input on the head unit itself. Without that adapter, I would assume that the head unit should still function and power the speakers. It just seems strange that it powers on but no sound. Tried both radio and ipod.

InCarAudioVideo 06-03-2011 12:27 AM

clarify... your new aftermarket HU not producing sound to speakers?

drwang 06-03-2011 12:28 AM

Correct. The factory HU did not play sound to the speakers. So I upgraded with a new HU and it still does not play sound to the speakers.

InCarAudioVideo 06-03-2011 12:30 AM

what's the model number on the harness you got?

drwang 06-03-2011 12:48 AM

Scosche FD23B

InCarAudioVideo 06-03-2011 01:05 AM

that sosche model shouldn't have "amp on" cable. ask whoever you bought it from if there's a mix up in packaging.

but...

at what point did factory hu stop producing sound?

I'm wondering if the problem is not w the HU... (thinking...)

drwang 06-03-2011 01:20 AM

You are correct. The scosche does not have an "amp on" cable. It's the aftermarket HU that has the "amp on" cable. Sorry about that confusion.

The factory stopped playing sound maybe a year ago? Soon after warranty ended of course. When the factory head unit was turned on, sometimes I would hear a small pop sound come from the speakers. The front speakers were upgraded with new speakers also. No popping anymore.

After jumping this hurdle, I hope future upgrades won't be this mind-racking...

Lmarti 06-03-2011 07:37 AM

What im thinking is that your stock amp is blown.thats the reason why your stock radio didn't play. all you have to do is buy the bypass kit and find out where the stock amp is at in your car. from there you disconnect the 2 connectors. one on each side. they sell a little adapter connector that will connect the two connectors that you just disconnected. this is called bypassing your stock amp. from all of the information here it sounds like it could be that. or maybe you bought the wrong harness but that wouldn't explain why your stock radio didn't play. hope this helps.

InCarAudioVideo 06-03-2011 07:58 AM

figure out if you have the "audiophile" amplified system. do this by reading car manual, or get your vin# call dealer to check it out.

if you do have an amplified system, the explanation from the previous poster is the most likely, but I'm assuming you don't have it amplified.

check the radio fuse, in fact check all the interior fuses. the power for the radio may be split between two fuses?? who knows... the HU power on usually get a signal from the acc cable, but may be there's another protection fuse?

read forum on your car specifically, others may have had similar experience.

another test, get a random speaker, anything w 4 ohm load, even 8 ohm ok (old car speaker or large computer speakers). wire it to one of the speaker output from the HU, (make sure volume is very low, you don't know the load of that speaker). if you get sound out of the random speaker then you know that something in between the HU and your car speakers are not connected. if the random speaker still doesn't produce sound, then there may be a second fuse or power supply chain to the HU that is not working.

last resort, get an external amp, 5 channel, nothing fancy, use 4 ch to amplify your speakers, save the sub for when you want to upgrade.

edit: if you have audiophile upgraded system then you may need a different harness. and you may not be powering your amp at the moment.
and, I saw on the pic you post there are unused cables from the sosche harness, what are those cables?

drwang 06-03-2011 10:20 AM

Just called the dealer and it is the basic audio package. No separate amp.

I will check the fuses and test a speaker directly connected to HU at my lunch break.

drwang 06-03-2011 10:38 AM

Believe it or not, ford wanted $350 for an oem head unit!

drwang 06-03-2011 03:50 PM

Checked all relevant fuses on the fuse box and the power relay distribution box. Fuses are OK.

Then I hooked up a speaker directly to the new HU wire on the harness and still no sound.

Lmarti 06-03-2011 04:54 PM

post up a pick of how you got the speaker hooked up right now that will help to figure things out.

Phreaxer 06-03-2011 05:09 PM

could you have grounded a speaker wire somewhere on accident?

drwang 06-03-2011 05:28 PM

Here is a picture of the harness.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...4/0b6f1691.jpg

There are 4 brown wires that have no label.
The pink wire is for mute.
The 2 orange wires are for dimmer.

The speaker wire was crimped so it's a solid connection. I will take a picture when I get a chance. I upgraded the front 2 speakers. The rear 2 speakers are still stock. I tried wiring a separate speaker directly to the front left speaker wire on the harness but no sound. Seems like that eliminates the possibility of a bad speaker wire.

I called a different ford dealer parts/service department. They confirmed that there is no separate amplifier for my 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2 V6 ... so bypassing amp is out of the question.

I checked all fuses, just in case I missed something. All fuses good.

InCarAudioVideo 06-03-2011 05:57 PM

I think the brown are mute as well, and my guess is the 4 may have tobe jumped 2 and 2. the question is which one... I might be wrong.

another hunch is try grounding that pink, you might be able to bypass the mute that way...

ideas people???

edit: but if that's the case, wiring to another speaker directly should solve the problem...

Lmarti 06-03-2011 06:37 PM

ok after thinking for a while i think i got it. i believe you got the wrong harness. you need this one 2005-up Select Ford CAN Bus Stereo Replacement Interface. your vehicle is can bus and the harness you got right now the wires dont match up on the harness you have right now. the harness behind your radio that isn't being used is the ones that have all of the speaker wire on it. thats why when you put your new radio in it doesn't work.

drwang 06-03-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lmarti (Post 1333909)
ok after thinking for a while i think i got it. i believe you got the wrong harness. you need this one 2005-up Select Ford CAN Bus Stereo Replacement Interface. your vehicle is can bus and the harness you got right now the wires dont match up on the harness you have right now. the harness behind your radio that isn't being used is the ones that have all of the speaker wire on it. thats why when you put your new radio in it doesn't work.

Thank but that harness has rca inputs for a rear entertainment system. That is probably for the Eddie Bauer edition fords because I don't have it. My steering wheel doesn't have the media controls either.

drwang 06-03-2011 07:55 PM

I just tried grounding the pink wire to the metal cage. No go =(

Now I'm debating whether to

1) get a professional to diagnose the issue for $40

2) use that $40 for an amp wiring kit and speaker wire...and then invest in an amp; but this will potentially either fix the problem OR dig myself a bigger more complex hole lol

mdavis007 06-03-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drwang (Post 1333792)
Checked all relevant fuses on the fuse box and the power relay distribution box. Fuses are OK.

Then I hooked up a speaker directly to the new HU wire on the harness and still no sound.

Did you connect the wires from the test speaker into the harness? Try removing your electrical tape and connecting them to the speaker wires coming from the HU before they connect into the harness and see if you get any sound. That will at least take the harness somewhat out of the equation.