opinions on old phoenix gold amp - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 kklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enough

Default opinions on old phoenix gold amp

hello everyone......
still very new to diyma but have really enjoyed all ive read. so......
i have an opportunity to trade a jl audio 250/1 for a phoenix gold mps-2240 .
over the years i have had plenty of great ppi amps and autotek amps but not any experience with PG. just wanted some opinions on this amplifier and i looked at the rated specs but does anyone know how underated these were or what they actually produce real world . Oh and how clean are these amps as opposed to Art series and powerclass. thanx everyone
kklepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 todd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: opinions on old phoenix gold amp

they are a high current 1/2 ohm stable amp. i would say output is about the same as the jl at 2 ohms mono. they are great little amps. but b4 you use it it need its caps changed the ones that phoenix gold used will fail. over at the phoenixphorum.com there are how to post if you want to do it yourself.
todd217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 kklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enoughkklepper will become famous soon enough

thanx man. the guy thats wanting to trade is just wanting a mono amp for subs and i just really appreciate the older finer things in life .Plus i have found that alot of the quality older amps sound soooo...... much better than anything thats out now. i will probably end up using it for mids or highs......so whats this about caps failing...... are they expensive to replace.....i am not to handy when it comes to repairs on boards i would probably have it done if its not too much

Old 09-25-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 todd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enoughtodd217 will become famous soon enough

the caps are cheap about $2 each i think it has 3. its a pretty simple job as long as you take your time. i was pretty freaked out b4 i did my first one. here is some reading info on the cap change. Leaking Phoenix Gold Capacitor Replacement Tutorial
Old 09-25-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

kewl man.....i appreciate that.....like i said before i dont have hardly any experience with pg . i just know that everyone seems to love them. never done ANY work on any of my amps . it should be interesting. So you think this would be a good trade then or should i stick with my jl
Old 09-25-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

i would do it but im a phoenix gold nut. they are around $100-$175 used depending on condition.
Old 09-25-2012   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

this ones pretty nice except it has a little rust along one side at the bottom but other than that i would say a solid 7 or 8 out of 10.....plus i only have 40$ in my jl amp and it is like new.older guy with a expensive bmw wanted rid of it lol. couldnt complain with him. i wanted to see him get rid of it too......LOL
Old 09-25-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

personally im a big zed fan but its hard to argue with years of hearing about PG
Old 09-25-2012   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

i'll definatley have to put up a pic when i get it . it is definatley a nice looking amp......heavy too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement