Ripping CDs to MP3 - what software and setting are best? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 124 Vital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enoughVital will become famous soon enough

Default Ripping CDs to MP3 - what software and setting are best?

Now I know there will be a lot of people saying "no mp3 will sound as good as lossless" and lots of other possible arguments here so I'll narrow it down as much as I can:

I have a lot of CDs that I'm looking to rip into mp3s so I could have them on my ipod being that Ipod is my main source of music in the car.

I'm looking to have my mp3s in high(er) guality - 256 and/or 320kbps but those few converters I've used in past all have a lot more other options as for what I want my end result to be - Audio Sample Rate (44 Hz???), DB Volume (bass boost??)....

I've used a few different free softs in past but this time I'm willing to buy one if it will make a difference in anything. So:

1. What converter would you recomend?
2. What are the optimal settings to use when converting CDs to mp3s?

2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX9960, Arc Audio XEQ & IDX
Polk Audio SR6500, SR124dvc, PA500.4 & PA1200.1
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Rubyserv
Position:
Founder and CEO

Rep Power: 129 trumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the roughtrumpet is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Ripping CDs to MP3 - what software and setting are best?

Keep it simple and select 256 kbps or 320 kbps and leave everything else on the defaults. It doesn't matter if you use Windows Media Player, iTunes, Mediamonkey, they all use acceptable codecs, if not the same codec, to rip CDs to MP3.

My system: Clarion CX305, CDT ACD-4090 and ACD-3001 amps, CDT Audio DSP4.8, Victory Sonics 20 amp supercapacitor, CDT ES-6CW 6.5" Kevlar midbass, CDT CRM-01Be Beryllium tweeters, Cerwin Vega Vega Pro 12" in 2.0 cubes @ 36 Hz
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 92 rdubbs will become famous soon enoughrdubbs will become famous soon enoughrdubbs will become famous soon enoughrdubbs will become famous soon enoughrdubbs will become famous soon enoughrdubbs will become famous soon enough

EAC with Lame compiler for Windows

XLD for Mac

They account for your CD drive's offset and include error correction for more accurate rips, as well as give you the ability for FLAC/Lossless rips if you so choose to go that route in the future Here's the FAQ from Hydrogen Audio Frequently Asked Questions - Hydrogenaudio Forums
rdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 cAsE sEnSiTiVe will become famous soon enoughcAsE sEnSiTiVe will become famous soon enoughcAsE sEnSiTiVe will become famous soon enoughcAsE sEnSiTiVe will become famous soon enoughcAsE sEnSiTiVe will become famous soon enoughcAsE sEnSiTiVe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to cAsE sEnSiTiVe

The best I've tried is dbPoweramp.....and I've pretty much tried them all.

cAsE sEnSiTiVe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 246 MarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really niceMarkZ is just really nice

I like EAC and dBpoweramp. EAC for the ripping part.

As for encoding, all of the good software (including EAC and dBpoweramp) use LAME for the encoding, so it won't matter what you use, really. I generally recommend VBR, as it's the most efficient setting. I recommend using the V2 preset. It will usually give you mean bitrates around 180-200kbps, but will jump up to 320kbps for the more demanding parts of the music (and drop to as little as 32kbps for parts where it doesn't need it, like silence). Anything smaller than that might yield an audible difference. But V2, in general, is going to give you a perfect output. If you're really anal, you could use V0 (with averages that usually range between about 200-220kbps), but there's probably not going to be an audible difference between that and V2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery
What I wanted to say is that amps ... sound the same.
MarkZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 329 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

LAME encoder for MP3s. VBR between V1-V2 is practically CD-quality. Everything higher than 200kbit can be considered good.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012   #7

Rep Power: 0 dr.vacation will become famous soon enoughdr.vacation will become famous soon enoughdr.vacation will become famous soon enoughdr.vacation will become famous soon enoughdr.vacation will become famous soon enoughdr.vacation will become famous soon enough

subscribed
dr.vacation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement