Install tips/ tricks - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 89 K-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enough

Default Install tips/ tricks

Hey so i'm relatively new to car audio and i am about to start a new install on my car. Im thinking of putting in Polk MM6501 Comps in a 2003 Volvo V70, running off a Pioneer AVH-6300bt (already installed) and running them off a Massive Audio Nx2. I also already run a Alpine Type X 12" off a Massive Audio N3. I keep reading everywhere that "install is everything" so before i begin i want to make sure I'm prepared. Are there any tips, recommendations, suggestions or anything else anyone has? I have put in speakers but never comps before so anything that wont be obvious would be helpful. Also if there is equipment that would serve me better in the same price range feel free to post it up. Thanks
K-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 94 RNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Install tips/ tricks

Best advice I can give you Mike "take your time", or don't get into a hurry. This is when you cut corners and things don't turn out so well. I know we all get excited to "hear it" now. Use proper wiring, good ground points (not sheet metal), deaden and strengthen speaker mounting locations, protect your speakers from the elements in the doors using baffles. Make sure your mid and woofer have a perfectly flat mounting surface. If not make one. Don't put x/o inside door. I know people hate running 2 or 3 wires through the jam, don't do it less you can keep it aways from moisture. I'm sure others will chime in with some important stuff. Good luck!!

System 1 of 3: Amptech Alt, Stealth reg, Alpine IVA-C800, DVA-5205, CHA-S604, MB-Quart Premium-316, Mcintosh MCC443m, MCC427, Audio Control DQXS, Epi, ESP-2, Kicker XPL 12's.
RNBRAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 89 K-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enoughK-Mike will become famous soon enough

Thanks a lot, so where would you recommend I mount the cross overs? And will I need to run all so new speaker wire to do the 125 rms to each? If so what gauge would you recommend? Also I've been looking at the JBL MS 62's and I'm debating between these and the Polks, any suggestions?

Old 11-17-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 94 RNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enoughRNBRAD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mike View Post
Thanks a lot, so where would you recommend I mount the cross overs? And will I need to run all so new speaker wire to do the 125 rms to each? If so what gauge would you recommend? Also I've been looking at the JBL MS 62's and I'm debating between these and the Polks, any suggestions?
I would mount them maybe in the kick-area. Most cars have a hollow well behind the plastic or carpeted kick, however not all of them have an opening large enough to accomodate the x/o, but many do. I'd look there, if not, perhaps under the dash somewhere or along the firewall just above carpet line. I'm sure your current speaker wire is fine. I don't get into size of wire for speakers as I do construction technology, less it's for a sub. Someone else will have to help you with those speaker lines, I have too limited experience to help you.

System 1 of 3: Amptech Alt, Stealth reg, Alpine IVA-C800, DVA-5205, CHA-S604, MB-Quart Premium-316, Mcintosh MCC443m, MCC427, Audio Control DQXS, Epi, ESP-2, Kicker XPL 12's.
RNBRAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 130 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

I usually just buy a 100 foot roll of OFC 18 gauge speaker wire - which is also the same wire I use for my subs. Don't be sold into needing 12 gauge wire for your speakers - Unless they are actually mounted 50 feet from the amps.

As for mounting the tweeters, I have always had good results with them in the sail panels (close to your side mirrors). A trick I have utilized in my car was to mount the tweets into the sail panels and then completely cover the sail panel with black speaker grill cloth. I have had plenty of people ask where my tweeters are!!

I tried moving them into the corners of the dash - which has PLD improvemment, unfortunately it also made the soundstage narrower so I went back to the sails (I didn't get as far as cutting holes in my dash luckily)

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Yea I think what I already have is 16 gauge so that's fine, and the Volvo at one point at a premium sound system with tweeter locations in the upper part of the door, but the tweeters aren't there? Anyway I should be able to fit tweeters there so that's all good, and I think there is a hollow spot under my dash for the cross overs, thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement