Please help me please my ears and my wife ;) Need some design help - Esotar2 110's - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 335 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Please help me please my ears and my wife ;) Need some design help - Esotar2 110's

My wife surprised me for my birthday with a set of Dynaudio Esotar2 110's for my demo car. However, her opinion is very important to me and I am running into a road block with fitting them and was hoping for some help.

A little about the car:
My demo car/daily driver is a 2004 Acura TL. It has factory tweeter locations in the dash firing at the windshield (currently MD 102's). The car is a 6-speed manual and currently has Esotar2 430's in the kick panels and Esotar2 650's in the doors. The drivers side kick has the fuse panel behind it and are pretty far under the protruding dash (even the door mounted midbass are partially under the dash). The a-pillars are pretty small and the dash has a crease from the center console that goes behind the instrument hump to the drivers side vent, decreasing what room is there.

A little about my wife:
She does not like large kick panels or pods (like the shok ones). It needs to look natural, like it belongs in the car.

The point of the car:
Extremely good SQ utilizing installation techniques that makes all the drivers blend into the car seamlessly.

I need help with where to mount the Esotar2 110's that both satisfies my wife's requirements and my own. Kicks are still a possibility, as are a-pillar. Not too sure about firing these up at the windshield, but that is also an option.

Here are pics of the car (some of actually my car and others pics I found showing all the areas of the TL dash and kicks):

Thanks in advance!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Please help me please my ears and my wife ;) Need some design help - Esotar2 110

I know we talked about this but the tweeters near the kicks had the best imaging with the dash on axis being almost as good and firing at the windshield not even close to the other two.

This is probably a bad idea but if this deal falls through on the sale of my equipment I might try something different. Take the 182s out if the doors and go under the dash or kicks. Cut the grill out of the doors and cover with grill cloth. It looks factory. Run both the 430 and 110 through the door opening side by side on axis or close and behind the grill cloth. This would take care of the door vibration problems and put the mids and very large tweeters hidden out of the way.

If my deal falls through and I can do this setup ill still do that thing we were talking about.

So 650s in the kicks vented into the frame, 110 and 430 in the doors behind the factory opening. Do you think feet and legs will have too much of an effect on the tweeters down there? I think you could do the 650s in the kicks without taking up a whole lot of space.

One more thing, keep me in mind if those 650s decide to change owners.
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 167 fcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enoughfcarpio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Please help me please my ears and my wife ;) Need some design help - Esotar2 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
The point of the car:
Extremely good SQ utilizing installation techniques that makes all the drivers blend into the car seamlessly.
Are you getting extremely good SQ with the tweeters firing into the winshield??? I am not trying to be a smart a$$, just asking because I am facing a similar situation with my new setup.

I have the option of mounting my tweeters coaxially in the door panels way below like yours, or the dashboard firing up. Not sure which would be my best options.

Another option I am contemplating (which may be an option for you as well) is to mount the tweeters in the sail panel (I think that is what they are called), that little triangular piece by the side mirrors.

There is yet another option which I have not tried, that is to install the tweeters inside the A/C vents pointing forward, the way they should be. I don't know if blowing hot/cold air would be an issue for them. The air coming out of the A/C is pretty dry so I don't think moisture would be a problem. Hmmm, that is a thought...

Last edited by fcarpio; 04-15-2013 at 12:34 PM..
fcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 306 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

What about where the red circle is?

If you get creative, it might not look out of place - you'll also be able to aim it closer to on axis VS the a-pillars

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 335 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
What about where the red circle is?

If you get creative, it might not look out of place - you'll also be able to aim it closer to on axis VS the a-pillars

Kelvin
That idea is not half bad. Would it be better to mount the tweeters there or the midrange (for height)?

Quote:
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Old 04-15-2013   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 306 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That idea is not half bad. Would it be better to mount the tweeters there or the midrange (for height)?
I find more distracting when my girlfriend puts her legs in front of my tweeters than in front of my mids - so I'd leave the midranges in the kicks and put the tweeters a bit higher up
The woofer's backwave won't affect a tweeter since the back is sealed already - if you plan to use the midrange above the woofer, the enclosure will have to be sealed... Something to think about

If coherence (phase & T/A) is achieved, I find that stage height clearly presents itself

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

I may be looking at 2 options then....doors or kicks!

Quote:
Old 04-15-2013   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 jayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enough

Put them in the kicks I had both my 430's and 110's in the kicks of my e55 and it is a great solution. In my armada they may both end up in the pillars but in a car the kicks is the way to go hands down.

2012 Armada
HU: Ipad mini, Amps: Brax, Speakers: Dyn Esotar2 Sub: Dyn Esaotar 1200, Processor: Zapco DSP Z8
jayhawkblk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Kicks it is! Now how to make them look good/seamless......

Quote:
Old 04-16-2013   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 262 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

SouthSyde has his all in the kicks (same drivers) and it sounds amazing.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #11

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 BuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to beholdBuickGN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
*If* you were planning on going with the 182, it sits right behind that area. Just something to think about. I know what you need, a smaller faceplate...
BuickGN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

^^^too bad I can't get my hands on any....lol

Quote:
Old 04-16-2013   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
SouthSyde has his all in the kicks (same drivers) and it sounds amazing.
That's what I hear. His car is a tad more open, but mine could still work.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2013   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 117 cnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enough

This is a bit off topic, but I have been following some of your (Niebur3) threads in the Acurazine forum as well. You seem to have a lot of expertise with car audio esp. in the 3G Acura TL. I just picked up a 2008 TL with only 25k miles, and am considering upgrading the audio system. Would you mind if I picked your brain a bit about possible configurations?
cnwahlheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

^^^nope, feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected].

Quote:
Old 04-17-2013   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 117 cnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enoughcnwahlheim will become famous soon enough

^Great! I will be in touch soon.
cnwahlheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement