Midbass Driver Silent then Crackles to Life After 15 Minutes of Play - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014   #1

Rep Power: 0 morechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enough

Default Midbass Driver Silent then Crackles to Life After 15 Minutes of Play

Just finished my install several weeks ago and have been dealing with this issue for the past 10 days or so now. The driver seems to be dead after the car is started and running. After about 15 minutes or so, the speaker starts crackling and then operates as normal. I've checked both drivers by switching inputs and they both function normally except for this one channel. Signal is piped to a DSP then to the amp via RCA, which then actively drives the front midbass drivers and sub. The odd thing is the "dead" speaker's passive component works while the main driver is dead.

I've checked the power and it all seems to check out fine. The only thing I can think of at this point is that it's just too darn cold here in the mornings. We've been in a deep freeze for quite some time now with temps well below 0 at night. Is it possible that the amp/dsp need to get up to operating temp before they fire all channels properly?

Appreciate any helpful feedback!
morechikin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014   #2

Rep Power: 89 crackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Midbass Driver Silent then Crackles to Life After 15 Minutes of Play

I think its the weather, mine does something similar. The right side midbass doesnt come on in he mornings when its cold. But after a while to warm up it comes back on. Very strange and thought its the amp at first but my tweetes play fine, so Im assuming it could be a midbass going bad, or possibly the crossover.
crackinhedz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 117 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Midbass Driver Silent then Crackles to Life After 15 Minutes of Play

I have never experienced any speaker I installed not working in cold weather and I lived in Chicago, N. Michigan, and Minneapolis before the ATL. Got lucky? Weird...

2019 VW Jetta S
2014 Honda CB1100
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014   #4

Rep Power: 0 morechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enoughmorechikin will become famous soon enough

Everything is less than two months old so I would certainly hope not. We're suppose to get some decent temps soon so maybe the problem will dissipate when the gear isn't sitting in -20F all night.

HAT Imagines 6.5" ran in component mode
Infinity Kappa 120.9W
RF 3sixty.3
Alpline PDX-9V
Old 02-18-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Edit, lol

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014   #6

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 therapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enough

Hi Jason! I was wondering when you were going to post up! Odd name, got to tell me what is behind that one.

-20 f ???? WTF. I have never been in that deep of cold, even all the years skiing I think the coldest I remember at night was maybe around zero!

So, to be sure, the problem follows the amp channel? OR do you mean the same driver has the issue regardless of which amp channel it is hooked up to?

2015 Ford F150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4 "stealth audio"
DSR-1 / Alpine V9 / CDT-ES02 / Alpine S69 / (2) Dayton DCS165 vented
therapture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 177 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Have you tried the mid in question on another xover?

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
Old 02-19-2014   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 131 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

I would disconnect from the amp and pop it with a 9 volt. Or at least a meter.

I've had a cold winter hour north of Toronto, even at -29 celcius, speakers start playing when car starts.

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 131 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

Sometimes dip switches on an amp need a good cleaning. A little oxidization can cause a lot of grief.

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Old 02-19-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 170 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

It could just be a connection that's not good... as the car heats up the connection expands a bit and the speaker starts playing.
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014   #11

The weather finally broke a bit this week and we actually had a 60 degree day. The problem still persisted so it's back into the car I go. It seems to be originating at the amp so I will redo that connection. It was just so odd that the thing would not work for half the drive to work and then fire up like nothing was wrong...the tweet even worked while to main driver didn't. Anyway, I hope it is justat the amp or dsp so I don't have to tear the car apart.
Old 02-20-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

You have to some basic trouble shooting to find out what its causing it to behave like that.

Change mids to another xover

Change xover to another channel

Just by doing those two simple tests you'll find out if its the mid or xover.

If problem stays in the same channel output of the amp then do the following...

Swap rcas, does problem follow the rca or remains in the same output/channel of the amp.

That last step will help you determine if its the amp or the input signal that's the problem.

Old 02-20-2014   #13

I will give those a try and report back. We are back in the depths of winter with a snow storm so not sure when I will have a chance to crawl back in the trunk and mess about. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-20-2014   #14

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 therapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enoughtherapture will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by morechikin View Post
The weather finally broke a bit this week and we actually had a 60 degree day. The problem still persisted so it's back into the car I go. It seems to be originating at the amp so I will redo that connection. It was just so odd that the thing would not work for half the drive to work and then fire up like nothing was wrong...the tweet even worked while to main driver didn't. Anyway, I hope it is justat the amp or dsp so I don't have to tear the car apart.
Jason, so the tweeter is running passive off of the mid like mine right? Then it almost has to be the mid acting wonky. HAT will take care of that for you easily with a new driver..where did you buy the Imagines?

2015 Ford F150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4 "stealth audio"
DSR-1 / Alpine V9 / CDT-ES02 / Alpine S69 / (2) Dayton DCS165 vented
therapture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Radio Randy
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 160 ATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the roughATOMICTECH62 is a jewel in the rough

If there is power to the speaker and there is no sound it is most probably the braided litz wires from the terminal to the voice coil.Sometimes cleaning them with 91-99% alcohol will or contact cleaner will bring them back to life.

CDA-9886,PXA-H100,EPIC160,Hifonics series VIII Callisto,MC431m on SSMB8's,GTI508 mids(doors),MC431m on GTI408 mids,Morel MDM55's(dash),MC431m on Dayton AMT1-4's(pillars)and GTI508 mids rear,JBL GTO1201.1 on(2)MTX T8512-04 5cuft ported at 30hz,2 batteries,30F cap.5 way active.
ATOMICTECH62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014   #16

I bought the Imagines direct. When this first happened, I did change the connection to the opposite output to test the driver and the other speaker had the same issue and the driver that was having the problem was running fine. So I think the drivers are solid, but I will check. I'm thinking it may be a connection at the amp still...maybe I didn't push those cool alpine connectors in all the way or the speaker wire isn't seated in them all the way. It is just weird that the bad side would fire up like clockwork after about 15 minutes of driving. It has since gotten worse so that makes me think it is a connection problem even more.
Old 02-20-2014   #17

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 REGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOMICTECH62 View Post
If there is power to the speaker and there is no sound it is most probably the braided litz wires from the terminal to the voice coil.Sometimes cleaning them with 91-99% alcohol will or contact cleaner will bring them back to life.
Ive never considered cleaning leads. Might have to try that on my cdt's before I throw em in a bookshelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
If you spend 6500 on a single sub, I will drive to your house and punch you in the balls.
REGULARCAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I have had an amp that would cut in and out on me at the worst of times (bridged 280 RMS at 4 ohms onto a 2 way passive). After nearly tossing it from the tallest cliff, I came to the conclusion that the hpf/full/lpf dipswitch had some serious oxidization. Luckily for me the switch I was after was on a smaller daughter board that was easily removed from the main pcb. Under a magnifying glass you could see the discolouration. A few swabbing's later and it no longer crackled and no longer cut out on me.

Hope this helps

Old 02-21-2014   #19

As soon as it isn't cold as balls outside, I will give all these a try. Frustrating that this stuff is all just two months old and I believe it was all working normally at one point.
Old 02-21-2014   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I would be surprised to find that any of it is actually a paper weight. New usually means year warranty as well!

A good little tool to have in your bag of tricks is a 9v with a momentary on switch and a good pair of leads to really get into tight spots. I used the momentary switch as to only apply voltage when the switch is engaged. I do the odd house call to fix a cut out door speaker. The things I find, range from 1 screw holding a speaker in (really?) Coaxes where the tweet works and mid does not. Green tinsel leads. In most cases the voice coils of the speakers are fully and cleanly intact. I have seen JL coaxes oxidize and play only the tweeter, or nothing at all.

My biggest issue though, is where the previous installer cut corners and didn't bother running a fresh wire from amp to speaker. This almost always eventually goes bad. The owner of the car paid a shop to run speaker wires, what he got was connected behind the radio, then a piece of the same new wire was attached to the stock wiring inside the door. All because the installer was too lazy to run through the boot.

Old 02-22-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 89 rmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enough

My fronts do the same thing out only when its cold outside.

The gap in the magnet where the voice coil sits, shrinks in below freezing weather.
Pinching the voice coil and preventing movement.
And that crackling back to life... Seems to be when the gap expands and the voice coil rubs againsts it until the tolerances are wide enough to be correct and it doesn't happen.

I believe the crackling is the starting and stopping of the voice coil as it moves over the too tight of gap until its warmed up.

So I just don't run my stereo at all until the cabin warms up and transfers heat through the door panels and into the magnets to sufficiently warm them up.

I never have this problem on warm days.

But your situation may be different somehow who know.
This is all just my .02c

1996 ford aspire
rmoltis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014   #22

Got a chance to investigate this today. I swapped RCAs and the "bad" driver worked like it should right away so I can rule out the driver being bad. I then swapped the channels on my amp to make sure that none of those were bad and got a good connection on all of the combinations I tried. After that, I tore the trunk apart and investigated the solder joints where I connected the HU source that goes into the dsp. It looked like the joints weren't all that firm and I had some loose wire hanging off of two of those so I redid them.

However, when I plugged everything back in, the dsp will not turn on. I tried reseating all of the power connections, both remote and 12v and it still will not fire up. I am wondering if I may have fried it somehow? I don't see how, but I am at a loss now as to what is going on.

On the plus side, I think I may have fixed the speaker issue as when I was testing things with the dsp, I unplugged it and only the amp was running and I got sound out of both drivers as normal...just wish my 3sixty.3 worked now. I hope you guys might have some suggestions on what to try now to get it to work again because I think I'm stuck here.
Old 02-22-2014   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Use a multimeter on your turn on wire.

Old 02-23-2014   #24

Got the power up and running again. It turned out to be the ground was the issue (never had an issue with it before so didn't check it). That being said, the driver in question was still having the same issue. I've checked everything from the trunk and it all reads and operates correctly including every channel available on the amp. To this point, I haven't fired the car up yet, but I had to run an errand and I fired it up to go and just for giggles, I turned the passenger side heat all the way max on the off chance that it was a microfracture in the connections at the HU and within two minutes of heat being applied to the general area, the bad side crackled and fired right up.

So, it would appear that my solder joints at the HU (this is the input source for the dsp) must be bad or something. My next step will be to tear the dash out to get back into it and investigate and redo the joints. Hoping that is finally the last step before I kill this gremlin in an otherwise clean setup.
Old 02-23-2014   #25

Was testing the HU issue out today and had to make a sudden stop in the car. The ground wire to the amp came loose and contacted the positive wire somehow and fused with it. Now the amp and dsp are dead, but I am hoping the 100 amp fuse just blew and just needs to be replaced. Guess it was my fault for not supermanning the lines into the connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement