Helix DSP Pro - Who has info? - Page 16 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015   #376
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 0 gsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Helix DSP Pro - Who has info?

Here is a photo I took of the new Director remote at CES. It will have 20 presets plus the 2 that can be stored in the dsp, for a total of 22. This unit was a sample, a working sample, but the finished product may look slightly different. (Hand provided by Julian Fischer)
gsrdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015   #377
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

When?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #378

Rep Power: 56 jdigital will become famous soon enoughjdigital will become famous soon enoughjdigital will become famous soon enoughjdigital will become famous soon enoughjdigital will become famous soon enoughjdigital will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardking View Post
Here is the response from Helix if you want to use your own $50 microphone. Basically, we want you to buy our $400 microphone. I tried....

"The integrated RTA software is specifically designed to be used with the Helix MTK1 tuning microphone and that is what it is pre-calibrated to. While you can use another type of microphone and USB interface, Audiotec-Fischer did not write the software to be able to load a secondary calibration file for a different microphone as it was written and calibrated specifically for theirs. We would suggest checking with your local dealer regarding the availability of the MTK1 tuning kit".
The mtk1 kit consists of a superlux ecm999 mic and a t.bone micplug usb preamp. These can be had for a total of $80 (that includes shipping). The tuning kit from helix includes an additional mic cable and USB key (and cost an extra $300 for these 2 additional items). The USB key has the freely available dsp software and pink noise in wav and MP3.

The ecm8000 is a fine calibration mic between 30hz-2k after that it's all over the place and you would need a cal file if you hoped to make accurate measurements. Using a generic cal file would not help because of the variances across mics. So when helix says the software is specifically calibrated for their tuning kit they are,
- making up stories to make you feel good about paying $300 extra for a cable and a thumb drive.
Or
- they actually hard coded a generic cal file for one specific microphone which would not work for every other mic of the same model and result in inaccurate measurements rather than give the user the ability to upload microphone specific calibration files.
jdigital is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015   #379
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrdude View Post

Here is a photo I took of the new Director remote at CES. It will have 20 presets plus the 2 that can be stored in the dsp, for a total of 22. This unit was a sample, a working sample, but the finished product may look slightly different. (Hand provided by Julian Fischer)

Did they give a model number?

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #380

Rep Power: 77 Jcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enough

I'm a little afraid to see the price tag. They're charging $400 for a measurement mic, It wouldn't be surprising if the director remote is $500.

2013 Dodge Charger
Stock 8.4n HU - Pac adapter - Helix DSP pro
2x zuki eleets v1 4 channel -
Scan 18w revs, 10f's, Illum r3004
HD 1200/1, 12w7ae
Jcharger13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #381
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 lizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enough

Looks big too. Not at all interesting...
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #382
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 0 gsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enoughgsrdude will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Looks big too. Not at all interesting...
It's roughly 2"x5", it has a touch screen for selecting knob function. I was told it will retail for about $250. I was told Feb or Mar. It's smaller than it looks in the photo.
gsrdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #383
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 lizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enoughlizardking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It's roughly 2"x5", it has a touch screen for selecting knob function. I was told it will retail for about $250. I was told Feb or Mar. It's smaller than it looks in the photo.
Shouldn't be much bigger than the screen to make it easier and cleaner looking for an integrated install. Price isn't too bad, should be able to get it $150-$175 from a dealer.
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #384
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 charliekwin will become famous soon enoughcharliekwin will become famous soon enoughcharliekwin will become famous soon enoughcharliekwin will become famous soon enoughcharliekwin will become famous soon enoughcharliekwin will become famous soon enough

Hope they dress it up a little for the production unit, including the UI. Interface looks like their DSP software...not sure that's a great choice.

2007 Infiniti G35 Build Log: Helix, Morel, ID, Fountek, Kenwood, Nexus 7 (forever in progress)
charliekwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #385

Rep Power: 77 Jcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enoughJcharger13 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Shouldn't be much bigger than the screen to make it easier and cleaner looking for an integrated install. Price isn't too bad, should be able to get it $150-$175 from a dealer.
That's much better than I figured. Not a bad price. Size isn't a killer but is a little on the large size. I'll be interested to see what all can be adjusted with it.

2013 Dodge Charger
Stock 8.4n HU - Pac adapter - Helix DSP pro
2x zuki eleets v1 4 channel -
Scan 18w revs, 10f's, Illum r3004
HD 1200/1, 12w7ae
Jcharger13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #386
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 365 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks for that photo and welcome to DIYMA!

I have a few questions (for anyone that can answer them):

1. Is this a Single DIN size unit? Dimensions if not?...

2. How thick is it?

3. What options have they provided for mounting it? Will it be a "Quick-Release"/detachable faceplate unit?

4. Is there any way that you could tell if that display is viewable in direct sunlight???

5. I wasn't expecting to have any actual DSP tuning/adjustment capabilities from the Director Remote, but are there any? What I'm getting at is...I'll assume for the moment that this will cost at least as much as an Alpine RUX-C800, but will have WAY LESS functionality.

6. Is the main knob a "rotary commander"? IOW, do you Press/Click it to select a specific function, such as Master Volume or Subwoofer Level, and then rotate the knob left or right to adjust that parameter? Or is it a combination of using the Touchscreen to select a function, and turn the knob to adjust?

Other observations:

1. There is plenty of room on the right of the unit to add another "knob". I would prefer this rather than having to dive into a Menu for additional settings. For instance, in "normal mode" the Left Knob could be Master Volume, and the Right Knob would be Subwoofer Level. Press/Click the Left Knob for Source Selection, and Press/Click the Right Knob for Memory Presets. A "Long-Press" of each knob (if there were two) could add an additional 2 functions, etc.

2. The Text Labels on the Display are TINY! What point-size is that font?...looks like 6-pt or smaller. That will NOT be clearly ledgible at any distance, especially in a vehicle. I would also prefer simple Black Text on a White Background, or the inverse for "Night Mode". The Higher the Contrast, the easier it will be to read. Maybe use colored boarders to denote the specific functions.

3. Don't get me wrong, I love physical knobs especially for controlling Master & Subwoofer Levels for digital inputs, but why not develop iOS & Android apps that connect via Bluetooth along with a simpler & smaller "Director" remote? The remote that is INCLUDED with the RF 3Sixty.3 at no extra charge is completely adequate, and it's tiny which makes mounting it much easier. It doesn't need a display because it is simple and intuitive. I don't need to take my eyes from the road to make adjustments. Besides the Bluetooth setup and more presets, it doesn't look like the Director Remote does any more than the 3Sixty.3 remote.

I can't imagine that there are many of us here that would use this type of processor/technology and do not also own a Smartphone with at least a 3.5" touchscreen? Most of us will already have a smartphone or tablet mount in the vehicle, and might not want to clutter our beautiful dash/console with another large unit. Now if you can fully tune/make all adustments from the Director Remote, then Yes, I'm all for a full DIN-size unit, but with a larger screen/less unused space! Bring it!

Just my ramblings...moving on.

EDIT: I didn't see the previous posts regarding price and dimensions before I posted. I would still like to know the thickness. Is $250 a confirmed MSRP/MAP?

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-24-2015 at 11:08 PM..
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #387
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 145 AVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enough

such a waste of space for the logo.
it's proto so it might change. Logo should be on the case.
6pt more like 4pt ;-)

2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition - OEM Radio - Arc Audio PS8-50 & X2 1100.1 - Arc Audio RS 1.0 3.0 6.0 - AudioFrog GB10D2
2013 Dodge Avenger - Windows Surface and Sony GS9 - Arc Audio PS8PRO - Clarion Old s'kool amps - Audio Frog GB10 GB40 GB60 GB10D2 - Wirez Signature - Ohio Gen Alternator - Odessey Clone Batteries
AVIDEDTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #388
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 138 teldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enoughteldzc1 will become famous soon enough

Looks better than I thought. Especially compared to the current one. Any word on compatibility with the non pro?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Alpine CDE-HD149BT - Helix DSP
Sony XM260G - Sony XES-M3 - JL HD 750/1
Illusion Audio CuBe - Focal Utopia 165 W-RC - JBL W12GTi
teldzc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #389
ndm
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 ndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enough

Quote:

If they simply make it look like this...then it will be nice. otherwise it looks like something a guy would make for his first dash project and sprayed it with SEM texture.

Needs more display and less bezel. It would not be a deal breaker for me since I know how to make a plain looking bezel like that look good, but for a guy without fab skills, they need to make it a little fancier.

They also need to do it in a hurry. I am waiting for the controller to come out so I can buy my dsp pro. I will not buy it before the controller is available. I would hate to have a controller debacle like Arc audio still has.

EDIT....for the record, I have no problem with the actual screen other that its a little small, I just think the empty reale state on either side looks....meh

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
https://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/# ---http://www.cardomain.com/id/SRTJEEP
ndm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #390
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 365 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the size of the Touchscreen...just look at the size of Julian's fingertips in relation to the display...and the Text Label size and/or "button" size. Does anybody think that is usable? The "buttons" are very close together as well.

Definitely not easily usuable while in a moving vehicle. Just suppose that you simply want to change Sources while driving...that's usually easy with most OEM Head Unit controls especially if you have SWC's, but it doesn't look like it would be too easy here if you have to tap the touchscreen.

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-24-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Old 01-24-2015   #391

Tends to get irritable

12V Company:
Unexpected Creations/ eXquisite Marketing
Position:
Owner/Installer/Rep/Lead Janitor

Rep Power: 5000 6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to 6spdcoupe

Just to clarify a few things here ..

The picture above is in an ABS case and not to final spec.
Final sizing should be single din, in aluminum chassis.
The touchscreen is not at all difficult to function.
The knob can be adjusted to be on either side (via settings to flip the view).
The units Are already made and functioning, it is the machining of the chassis that is holding up delivery.

Helix DSP PRO
Dual Brax MX4s
Dyn Esotar ~430s~110s
Micro-Precision 7.16 MKIII
Dual Focal 33KX IB
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #392
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Just to clarify a few things here ..

The picture above is in an ABS case and not to final spec.
Final sizing should be single din, in aluminum chassis.
The touchscreen is not at all difficult to function.
The knob can be adjusted to be on either side (via settings to flip the view).
The units Are already made and functioning, it is the machining of the chassis that is holding up delivery.
Thanks, Don! Good information to know.

The Single-DIN size seems most logical, but that also means that there will be even more "empty" space on the front surface as compared to the photo of the unit that Julian is holding at CES (supposedly 2" x 5"), which seems odd to me (assuming that the screen size doesn't change).

I can also see where others might want a smaller overall footprint which would vastly increase the available mounting options...ashtrays, coin holder trays, switch panel blanks, etc.

Again, if it's going to be a full Single-DIN unit, I'd much rather have TWO KNOBS (one on each side of the screen for increased functionality & also Symmetry) with tactile "Push/Click & Turn" functionality, and with a larger information-only display, not a small Touchscreen. I have the iBasso DX90 PMP which has what looks to be an identically-sized Touchscreen (same horrible, tiny font, in fact) and IMO it is barely usable, and that is a handheld device about the size of an iPod Classic. I couldn't imagine trying to use it in a car. Maybe it's just me, LOL.

When you say, "The touchscreen is not at all difficult to function", is this from personal experience with an actual unit installed in your car?...and switching sources or other functions while Driving?

Is the Display Viewable in full sunlight?

Do you know what the mounting options will be?

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-24-2015 at 10:51 PM..
Old 01-24-2015   #393

Tends to get irritable

12V Company:
Position:

Rep Power: 5000 6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
Thanks, Don! Good information to know.

The Single-DIN size seems most logical, but that also means that there will be even more "empty" space on the front surface, which seems odd to me (assuming that the screen size doesn't change). Again, I'd much rather have TWO KNOBS (one on each side of the screen for increased functionality & also Symmetry) with tactile "Press & Turn" functionality, and with just an informational display, not a tiny Touchscreen.

When you say, "The touchscreen is not at all difficult to function", is this from personal experience with an actual unit installed in your car?...and switching sources or other functions while Driving?

Do you know what the mounting options will be?
The unit itself is a pretty powerful piece, so I would not dismiss the chance of more functionality in the future. As for a second knob, not so likely.

Not in my car, just from 'playing' with it for a few days. I still find it easier than a single din memory preset or the unfortunate events to go through for functionality of most single din decks- function> menu> audio> left right left right up down up down a b a b ..

Helix DSP PRO
Dual Brax MX4s
Dyn Esotar ~430s~110s
Dual Focal 33KX IB
Old 01-24-2015   #394
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
The unit itself is a pretty powerful piece, so I would not dismiss the chance of more functionality in the future. As for a second knob, not so likely.

Not in my car, just from 'playing' with it for a few days. I still find it easier than a single din memory preset or the unfortunate events to go through for functionality of most single din decks- function> menu> audio> left right left right up down up down a b a b ..
Cool. Thanks for the info!

One other question (in addition to my edited post above, LOL)...

Will the Director Remote save or retain all of its 20 internally-stored presets even if 12v power is removed from it?

And on second thought, I think that I would actually prefer to have a Single-DIN unit that is just an edge-to-edge Display (i.e. full 2"x7" information-only screen), with a candy-bar IR remote control similar to the Pioneer Premier DEX/DEQ-P9 remote + add the rotary dial from the P99RS remote, for full processor control without the need for a computer. I can dream, right? EDIT: Well, maybe have just one small knob on the bezel that would function as Master Volume Control, which would also function as a Subwoofer Level Control if momentarily Pushed and then Rotated, and/or a MUTE function.

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-25-2015 at 07:19 PM..
Old 01-24-2015   #395

Tends to get irritable

12V Company:
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
Cool. Thanks for the info!

One other question (in addition to my edited post above, LOL)...

Will the Director Remote save or retain all of its 20 internally-stored presets even if 12v power is removed from it?

And on second thought, I think that I would actually prefer to have a Single-DIN unit that is just an edge-to-edge (i.e. full 2"x7") information-only DISPLAY, with a candy-bar IR remote control similar to the Pioneer Premier DEX/DEQ-P9 remote, for full processor control without the need for a computer. I can dream, right?
No problem at all !

Yes, it will, as far as I recall.

I would be dreaming the same thing !

Helix DSP PRO
Dual Brax MX4s
Dyn Esotar ~430s~110s
Dual Focal 33KX IB
Old 01-25-2015   #396
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Default Helix DSP Pro - Who has info?

Single DIN is far too large. That's going to really cause me trouble because I want to mount it in my ashtray where my BitOne DRC was located. I don't have anywhere else to put something that large. Very disappointing.

I guess I will just have to build a custom volume control with an ALPS pot? Or stick with the wired Helix remote I got temporarily. At least that has a button to switch inputs.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 01-25-2015   #397
ndm
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 ndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enoughndm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Single DIN is far too large. That's going to really cause me trouble because I want to mount it in my ashtray where my BitOne DRC was located. I don't have anywhere else to put something that large. Very disappointing.

I guess I will just have to build a custom volume control with an ALPS pot?

Post a photo of your dash and I will show you a spot.
You will make it happen.

although I agree that ash tray size it a more ideal size.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Old 01-25-2015   #398
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Default Helix DSP Pro - Who has info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndm View Post
Post a photo of your dash and I will show you a spot.

You will make it happen.

although I agree that ash tray size it a more ideal size.

No good options without serious mods.

I might have to visit a junk yard to see if I can buy a replacement center arm rest. Then I could cut it and flush the controller there.

Here's the original DRC in the ashtray.
There might be enough room to get the Director in there but the Radar and Laser controls would definitely have to go elsewhere.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Old 01-25-2015   #399
ndm
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
No good options without serious mods.

I might have to visit a junk yard to see if I can buy a replacement center arm rest. Then I could cut it and flush the controller there.

Here's the original DRC in the ashtray.
There might be enough room to get the Director in there but the Radar and Laser controls would definitely have to go elsewhere.

Dont forget to look up!!

Last edited by ndm; 01-25-2015 at 02:16 PM..
Old 01-25-2015   #400
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndm View Post
Don't forget to look up!!

Not exactly the look or ergonomics I'm after with this vehicle.

Plus there is already an overhead console with lights, microphones for bluetooth, sunroof controls, etc.....

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement