I can not get steve meade DD1 to work with JBL MS-a1004 or JBL MS-a5001 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Rep Power: 122 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Default I can not get steve meade DD1 to work with JBL MS-a1004 or JBL MS-a5001

For some reason, I can not get the steve meade dd1 to work with a1004 or a5001. Has anyone used the DD1 with these amps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gumbeelee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016   #2

Rep Power: 80 fasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: I can not get steve meade DD1 to work with JBL MS-a1004 or JBL MS-a5001

first thing is first, is the battery good? second how are you connecting the leads?
fasfocus00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Rep Power: 122 gumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enoughgumbeelee will become famous soon enough

Default Re: I can not get steve meade DD1 to work with JBL MS-a1004 or JBL MS-a5001

The battery turns on fine, i have used the dd1 on about five more of my amps before and it worked fine and i also tested it on an extra amp and it worked
correctly. I am pitting postive lead into positive, and negative into negative. Its basically dummy proof, lol. I just dont understand it, i cant get a signal or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2016   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 94 RRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished road

I have used one on both those amps, hooked up as you described, and it worked. Double check your stuff....

DEX P99rs / Zapco / Stereo Integrity / MECA Street 3rd place 2016 World Finals
RRizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

K..will do

Old 08-01-2016   #6

Rep Power: 80 fasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enoughfasfocus00 will become famous soon enough

i had more issues with my SMD tools when I use the leads that they come with. I remade leads and haven't had issues since. could be coincidence but that's what I did.
fasfocus00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasfocus00 View Post
i had more issues with my SMD tools when I use the leads that they come with. I remade leads and haven't had issues since. could be coincidence but that's what I did.

The leads work fine, used them on my spare amp to check. I have my ms amps installed in tight spaces and i believe i am not getting good connections. I am going to check it again shortly if it quits raining.

Old 08-01-2016   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Oh well I am at a loss, I just can't figure it out why I am getting no signal to the dd1. I do have a question, this could be my whole problem but not for sure, first time I have ever used these amps. I have my gains turned all the way down, and when you have them turned all the way down it shows this symbol on the amp screen -- It says in the manual when this symbol -- is showing on the amp, the output will be muted, would that stop me from getting a signal to the dd1? I have only tried so far to see where my headunit distorts at so I have not tried to turn up my gains yet. I just now read that a few minutes ago about the output being muted and have not had a chance to try and raise the gain to see if I can get a signal, if that is even the problem.

Old 08-01-2016   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 139 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

why not use the JBL CD and set the gain like those amps are meant to?

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post

Because Andy said when using aftermarket headunit and especially with ms-8, to turn input volume to minimum and not use the cd that is included, only for factory systems

Old 08-01-2016   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaudioacc View Post

I wish I could go that route. I am just hoping the mute is the issue, if not, just going to set them by the good ole ears

Old 08-01-2016   #12

Rep Power: 76 SQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enoughSQLnovice will become famous soon enough

What do you have the switch set on? (Hi or low)
SQLnovice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2016   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

jtaudioacc

12V Company:
JT Audio & Accessories
Position:
Owner/Installer/Janitor

Rep Power: 139 jtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura aboutjtaudioacc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbeelee View Post
I wish I could go that route. I am just hoping the mute is the issue, if not, just going to set them by the good ole ears

ah, i see. the ones i've installed have actually just went into systems without a dsp of any kind.

jtaudioacc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016   #14

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Oh well I am at a loss, I just can't figure it out why I am getting no signal to the dd1. I do have a question, this could be my whole problem but not for sure, first time I have ever used these amps. I have my gains turned all the way down, and when you have them turned all the way down it shows this symbol on the amp screen -- It says in the manual when this symbol -- is showing on the amp, the output will be muted, would that stop me from getting a signal to the dd1? I have only tried so far to see where my headunit distorts at so I have not tried to turn up my gains yet. I just now read that a few minutes ago about the output being muted and have not had a chance to try and raise the gain to see if I can get a signal, if that is even the problem.

Sounds to me like that's the problem.

t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Sounds to me like that's the problem.

I hope!!

Old 08-02-2016   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQLnovice View Post
What do you have the switch set on? (Hi or low)

Low of course

Old 08-02-2016   #17

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 82 Weigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enough

If output is muted when the gain is at minimum, one obviously won't get a measurable output. Kick up the gain just a tad and see if you get a signal then.
Weigel21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 211 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The battery turns on fine, i have used the dd1 on about five more of my amps before and it worked fine and i also tested it on an extra amp and it worked
correctly. I am pitting postive lead into positive, and negative into negative. Its basically dummy proof, lol. I just dont understand it, i cant get a signal or nothing.

It's been a while since I pulled out the DD-1, but don't you attach DD-1 positive lead to the speaker output positive, but the negative lead should go to the amp ground?

Checking from manual:

Setting the gain of a full range amplifier
1. This procedure should only be done AFTER you
have ensured the headunit puts out a clean
undistorted signal, AND you know where the
maximum undistorted volume setting is.
2. Turn the gain setting of the amplifer to minimum
3. Set crossover to full range / all pass/ bypass
4. Disconnect all speakers connected to the
amplifier. (This has already been calculated into
the equation and provides 1- 3dB more gain
overlap on unregulated power supply amplifiers
and 0dB more gain overlap on regulated power
supply amplifiers).
5. Using included harness, connect DD-1 to output
of amplifier. Connect the red harness lead to
the Left Speaker (+) terminal
, connect the black
to Amplifier Ground
. (Note: Most mutilchannel
amplifers have the signal on Left (+) and Right (
-)
6. Play track 4 or 6 on test CD (Track 4 will ensure
maximum sound quality, Track 6 will result in a
louder system). Your choice.
7. Set the headunit’s bass, treble, EQ’s, crossovers
to flat

8. Set the headunit’s volume to the maximum
undistorted volume setting that was measured
with the DD-1 previously
9. The Signal detected LED and the 1kHz LED
should illuminate.
10. Slowly turn up the amplifier’s gain setting until
the Distorition detected LED illuminates
continuously, then back down slowly until it just
goes out.
11. You are finished with the gain setting of this
amplifier. Now disconnect the DD-1, connect
the speakers to the amplifier, and set the
crossover to the desired position. See Where
do I set my crossovers section if you need
help with this.
12. Congratulations, you have just set the gain like a
Pro.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Fiio X5ii SPDIF, Phone USB HEC, Helix DSP Pro-2, Helix Director, JL XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log

Last edited by Babs; 08-02-2016 at 07:02 AM..
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016   #19

Rep Power: 77 percy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enoughpercy072 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Because Andy said when using aftermarket headunit and especially with ms-8, to turn input volume to minimum and not use the cd that is included, only for factory systems
There used to be a video on youtube with Andy showing how to use the auto gain setting feature (I cannot seem to find it anymore)

He was using an aftermarket HU and stated that you MUST set the volume to max when using the set up CD.

When you press both the small buttons simultaniously...it puts the amp into set up mode and mutes the output, then...with the CD playing just dial the gains until you get the green check light.

I used this method with my P99 to Helix to amps...seemed to work great!!
percy072 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy072 View Post
There used to be a video on youtube with Andy showing how to use the auto gain setting feature (I cannot seem to find it anymore)

He was using an aftermarket HU and stated that you MUST set the volume to max when using the set up CD.

When you press both the small buttons simultaniously...it puts the amp into set up mode and mutes the output, then...with the CD playing just dial the gains until you get the green check light.

I used this method with my P99 to Helix to amps...seemed to work great!!

Awesome, so u r saying set headunit volume to max correct? So u have used this method with these amps? Thank you for thehelp

Old 08-02-2016   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
It's been a while since I pulled out the DD-1, but don't you attach DD-1 positive lead to the speaker output positive, but the negative lead should go to the amp ground?

Checking from manual:

Setting the gain of a full range amplifier
1. This procedure should only be done AFTER you
have ensured the headunit puts out a clean
undistorted signal, AND you know where the
maximum undistorted volume setting is.
2. Turn the gain setting of the amplifer to minimum
3. Set crossover to full range / all pass/ bypass
4. Disconnect all speakers connected to the
amplifier. (This has already been calculated into
the equation and provides 1- 3dB more gain
overlap on unregulated power supply amplifiers
and 0dB more gain overlap on regulated power
supply amplifiers).
5. Using included harness, connect DD-1 to output
of amplifier. Connect the red harness lead to
the Left Speaker (+) terminal
, connect the black
to Amplifier Ground
. (Note: Most mutilchannel
amplifers have the signal on Left (+) and Right (
-)
6. Play track 4 or 6 on test CD (Track 4 will ensure
maximum sound quality, Track 6 will result in a
louder system). Your choice.
7. Set the headunitís bass, treble, EQís, crossovers
to flat

8. Set the headunitís volume to the maximum
undistorted volume setting that was measured
with the DD-1 previously
9. The Signal detected LED and the 1kHz LED
should illuminate.
10. Slowly turn up the amplifierís gain setting until
the Distorition detected LED illuminates
continuously, then back down slowly until it just
goes out.
11. You are finished with the gain setting of this
amplifier. Now disconnect the DD-1, connect
the speakers to the amplifier, and set the
crossover to the desired position. See Where
do I set my crossovers section if you need
help with this.
12. Congratulations, you have just set the gain like a
Pro.

That used to be the old harness that came with the DD1, it had an alligator clip that you clipped on to the amps ground. The new harnesses go into the speaker + and - inputs.

Last edited by gumbeelee; 08-02-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Old 08-02-2016   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 123 firebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enough

Who cares. Dude is a fricking prick outside of YouTube.
firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
Who cares. Dude is a fricking prick outside of YouTube.

Could be, i just want the dd1 to work.

Old 08-02-2016   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 123 firebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enoughfirebirdude will become famous soon enough

I hear ya. D'amore did a decent job making something simple and useful for the average installer. Can't argue the product. I'm just THAT disgusted with that ahole that I had to vent a little when I saw his name. lol
Quote:
That used to be the old harness that came with the DD1, it had an alligator clip that you clipped on to the amps ground. The new harnesses go into the speaker + and - inputs.
You sure about this? While I realize the clip went away and it's two test leads now, does it connect any different? Because the manual included with them still says to connect to amp ground.
firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2016   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

ROCKY TOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
I hear ya. D'amore did a decent job making something simple and useful for the average installer. Can't argue the product. I'm just THAT disgusted with that ahole that I had to vent a little when I saw his name. lol

You sure about this? While I realize the clip went away and it's two test leads now, does it connect any different? Because the manual included with them still says to connect to amp ground.

I am 100% positive, i have owned both sets. The new manual sats u just plug it into speaker leads. I have used it on about 5 other amps and it worx perfect. I thank there a couple of videos on youtube showing new harness.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement