Dayton audio dsp? - Page 10 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2018   #226

Rep Power: 81 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Dayton audio dsp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Just a question for this or future models,
Digital input?? The fibre optic thing, does this dsp have that input feature or will there be an update version that will have digital input, or hdmi?
Cheers, krem
These do not have a digital input, but there isnít any HU that I know of currently made that offer a digital output anyway.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018   #227
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 subiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enoughsubiemax will become famous soon enough

Anybody else find that the high level inputs are labeled exactly opposite from what they are? As in, white is labeled 1 when it is actually 4.
subiemax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2018   #228
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 236 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiemax View Post
Anybody else find that the high level inputs are labeled exactly opposite from what they are? As in, white is labeled 1 when it is actually 4.
Some other people have found this to be true as well

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018   #229

Rep Power: 81 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I didnít verify the high level inputs, but the low level inputs I did and they are correct. I did some extensive testing today comparing the Dayton to my JL TwK 88 on video. I will be posting that video here soon once the editing is done. Trying to capture all that information on a short video is not easy. Found some interesting things about the Dayton and did a little tutorial on setting it up for beginners. Itís a great budget DSP, but it does have some minor shortcomings worth mentioning.
The Following User Says Thank You to JCsAudio For This Useful Post:
Ge_off_me (07-29-2018)
Old 07-28-2018   #230

Rep Power: 18 richardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enoughrichardar6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiemax View Post
Some other people have found this to be true as well

I thought I was the only one, lol. Though I might be the only one that has right and left outputs reversed on channels 1 and 2, and 5 and 6. Oddly, my 3 and 4 are actually correct. Found that out when I added a third amp and thought reversing the rca's like all the other output channels would be the thing to do. Never checked 7 and 8 because they go to mono sub amp. In the end, I got it ato work, but it still bugs me.
richardar6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2018   #231

Rep Power: 32 karmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toilet View Post
I didnít verify the high level inputs, but the low level inputs I did and they are correct. I did some extensive testing today comparing the Dayton to my JL TwK 88 on video. I will be posting that video here soon once the editing is done. Trying to capture all that information on a short video is not easy. Found some interesting things about the Dayton and did a little tutorial on setting it up for beginners. Itís a great budget DSP, but it does have some minor shortcomings worth mentioning.
I very much look forward to this. I've been teetering on the edge of getting a dedicated DSP for a while now. The 3 units on my radar were the TWK, MS-8, and now this one. I'm really leaning towards the Dayton right now. Give a heads up when you post it.
karmajack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to karmajack For This Useful Post:
JCsAudio (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmajack View Post
I very much look forward to this. I've been teetering on the edge of getting a dedicated DSP for a while now. The 3 units on my radar were the TWK, MS-8, and now this one. I'm really leaning towards the Dayton right now. Give a heads up when you post it.
If you havenít already, use the thread tool tab and subscribe to this thread with email notification. When I post the video, you will get a notification. The person that helps me edit the videos is on vacation, but I plan to sit down with him Monday night and try and get this up ASAP.
Old 07-28-2018   #233
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 6262ms3 will become famous soon enough6262ms3 will become famous soon enough6262ms3 will become famous soon enough6262ms3 will become famous soon enough6262ms3 will become famous soon enough6262ms3 will become famous soon enough

I've seen enough positive feedback on here, I decided to pull the trigger and bought one from Solen.ca. Listed as "available on backorder" so I'm not sure how long it will take to get it, but it was only a bit over $200 CDN shipped. Looking forward to my first dsp, I've got a shiny new car waiting for it.

'18 VW Golf Sportwagen 4motion 6MT, a clean slate.
6262ms3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018   #234

Rep Power: 21 OneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enough

Couple questions here, gents, about wiring this thing up.

1. I see there is a remote out circuit with the wiring harness. I chatted with P/E this morning and the rep confirmed my suspicion that I could connect the 12 volt wire that's currently serving as the remote signal to my 5-channel amp and connect that, instead, to the 12 volt Key-On circuit (red wire) at the 408 DSP (input).

Then, connect the blue wire from the 408 DSP (output) back into the remote terminal at my amp (input).

So I think I'm good here and thankfully won't have to run a 12 volt key-on circuit to the back of my truck.

2. For the 12 volt hot-at-all-times input at the DSP...

Obviously, my amp has a power cable... a 4 gauge hot-at-all-times. My brain is scheming a way to tie into this circuit and splice off from it a small wire that I can run to the DSP.

But if this is even possible/advisable, I'd like to do it cleanly. So that's the question... can/should I do this and, if so, is there a junction block that anyone makes that I could use to do this cleanly.

I'm planning on mounting the DSP right next to my amp.

Or should I stop being a lazy fuk and just run another fuk'n wire?

TIA
OneGun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018   #235
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 202 WilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond reputeWilliamS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGun View Post
Couple questions here, gents, about wiring this thing up.

1. I see there is a remote out circuit with the wiring harness. I chatted with P/E this morning and the rep confirmed my suspicion that I could connect the 12 volt wire that's currently serving as the remote signal to my 5-channel amp and connect that, instead, to the 12 volt Key-On circuit (red wire) at the 408 DSP (input).

Then, connect the blue wire from the 408 DSP (output) back into the remote terminal at my amp (input).

So I think I'm good here and thankfully won't have to run a 12 volt key-on circuit to the back of my truck.

2. For the 12 volt hot-at-all-times input at the DSP...

Obviously, my amp has a power cable... a 4 gauge hot-at-all-times. My brain is scheming a way to tie into this circuit and splice off from it a small wire that I can run to the DSP.

But if this is even possible/advisable, I'd like to do it cleanly. So that's the question... can/should I do this and, if so, is there a junction block that anyone makes that I could use to do this cleanly.

I'm planning on mounting the DSP right next to my amp.

Or should I stop being a lazy fuk and just run another fuk'n wire?

TIA
Pin 9 is remote in, Pin 10 is remote out to your next amp. Constant Power wire you can either run a block on your existing amp wire, or run a new wire. There are "other" ways to do it, but I would just use a block of some sort.
WilliamS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamS For This Useful Post:
OneGun (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018   #236
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 236 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

If the amp has clamps for power. Then loosen and put the red one in there

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to minbari For This Useful Post:
OneGun (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018   #237

Rep Power: 21 OneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enoughOneGun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
Pin 9 is remote in, Pin 10 is remote out to your next amp. Constant Power wire you can either run a block on your existing amp wire, or run a new wire. There are "other" ways to do it, but I would just use a block of some sort.
Yes, would definitely like to use a block, but the only ones I've seen are 4 ga and/or 0 ga. I'm pretty certain I'll just be running a 16-18 ga to the DSP, but haven't found any blocks that are specific to this.

Maybe I need to think more outside the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
If the amp has clamps for power. Then loosen and put the red one in there

The amp's power is a screw-in clamp, so I guess I could do it that way. I wish there was a cleaner way, but that's not bad... not bad at all. Wondering how I could do this really cleanly.

Also, I was going to install some heat shrink and ferules on all my connections the next time I got into it (which will now be DSP installation time), but don't know how I'd do this if I went that route... unless I spliced a 16-18 gauge wire inside the ferule...

Hmm...

Want this to be clean, but...
Old 07-30-2018   #238

Rep Power: 32 SilentWrath will become famous soon enoughSilentWrath will become famous soon enoughSilentWrath will become famous soon enoughSilentWrath will become famous soon enoughSilentWrath will become famous soon enoughSilentWrath will become famous soon enough

Use a distribution block with 4 or 8 gauge out to this fuse block then you can connect the dsp power wire to the fuse block.

Liteway Car Truck 4 Way 12~32V Blade Fuse Holder Box 4-Circuit Fuse Block with Cover for Automotive Boat Marine(LED Indicator), 2 Years Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q3GLVJ..._ByYxBb488C6B4
SilentWrath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWrath View Post
Use a distribution block with 4 or 8 gauge out to this fuse block then you can connect the dsp power wire to the fuse block.

Liteway Car Truck 4 Way 12~32V Blade Fuse Holder Box 4-Circuit Fuse Block with Cover for Automotive Boat Marine(LED Indicator), 2 Years Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q3GLVJ..._ByYxBb488C6B4
Yeah, thanks, sure seems like the way to go.

I found this one too. This is going to make my life a lot easier.

Now I just have to install my components and run some speaker wires.

Might be active here in a couple weeks, bros...
Old 07-30-2018   #240

The video is almost ready but itís long at about 63 minutes. A lot of it is covering how the software works and also I go through how to do a basic base tune for beginners. I can break that apart to make two shorter videos if that makes sense or keep it all as one since itís all related. Thoughts? The video is a review of this DSP and also comparison to my JL TwK DSP.
The Following User Says Thank You to JCsAudio For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018   #241

Rep Power: 32 karmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enough

I'm cool with it being all in one vid. Would make it easier for us if you had time stamped chapter links in the description that we could jump to. If that works for your presentation or not, I don't know.

DDX9905S HU. Frog GS60 & GS10's active up front on JL XD 600/6. 10w3 sub on JL Slash 600. Dayton DSP.
karmajack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmajack View Post
I'm cool with it being all in one vid. Would make it easier for us if you had time stamped chapter links in the description that we could jump to. If that works for your presentation or not, I don't know.
Here is the rough draft version of the video. I need to break it out and do more editing but wanted to get this up for Monday. Skip from 34.19 to 52.13 if you do not need to know how to set up a basic tune. The last part of the video is where I talk about the noise floor and my findings that has something to do with that remote.

https://youtu.be/pzBTHMwRrKM

Sorry if Iím hard to hear, I recently had surgery on my throat and it left me with a weak voice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JCsAudio For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (07-30-2018), Ge_off_me (07-31-2018), idletickover (08-04-2018), karmajack (07-31-2018), POLKAT (07-30-2018)
Old 07-31-2018   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8toilet View Post
Here is the rough draft version of the video. I need to break it out and do more editing but wanted to get this up for Monday. Skip from 34.19 to 52.13 if you do not need to know how to set up a basic tune. The last part of the video is where I talk about the noise floor and my findings that has something to do with that remote.

https://youtu.be/pzBTHMwRrKM

Sorry if Iím hard to hear, I recently had surgery on my throat and it left me with a weak voice.

Man, you're pretty hard on that cat.
Old 07-31-2018   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGun View Post
Man, you're pretty hard on that cat.
Lol, that cat is all over me all the time. Don't worry, he gets tons of love and is well taken care of. He wants constant affection, more than some dogs do.
Old 07-31-2018   #245

Rep Power: 58 Ge_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enoughGe_off_me will become famous soon enough

Great video, thank you for the review.
Ge_off_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ge_off_me For This Useful Post:
JCsAudio (07-31-2018)
Old 08-01-2018   #246
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 nirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enough

When will the iOS app for iPhone be ready? I’m interested in the unit but, I’m a Mac dude. 😏 Cingrats on a successful launch!

Team Hybrids JAPAN - Carrozzeria - Zapco- Arc Audio - Hybrid Audio - Stereo Integrity

Toyota Alphard
nirschl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018   #247
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 nirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enough

I apologize. I didn’t realize it was already available.

How would those with experience compare this to the Pioneer P99 unit’s capabilities?

Team Hybrids JAPAN - Carrozzeria - Zapco- Arc Audio - Hybrid Audio - Stereo Integrity

Toyota Alphard
nirschl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018   #248

Rep Power: 19 Mitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enoughMitchc1113 will become famous soon enough

So I got my 408 DSP in the mail yesterday. This is my 1st DSP and I've just recently started reading up on everything they can do. Been out of the loop for about 10 yrs until 2 months ago.

I competed in db drag back in the day, when you're 17-21 back then SQ wasnt a high priority. So I'm very green, just want to get the most out of my setup & have it sound good...to me.

I have a 2018 Silverado double cab. My current setup:

- Stock 8" Chevy Mylink HU (Non Bose)

- Audiocontrol LC2i

- 2.75" Memphis 15-PR275 dash speakers
4 ohm
15 watts RMS- (per speaker) Run off HU
221-12,000Hz range
85db sensitivity

- NVX NSP65- 6.5 Coaxials
4 ohm
40 watts RMS (per speaker)
70-20,000Hz range
89db sensitivity

- Memphis SRX2.150
Powering NVX Coaxials

- Sundown SD3 12"
1.25 cu/ft ported down firing box tuned to 32hz

- JBL GTR1001
Powering Sundown sub

That's what I have installed right now, I do however also have the following.

- CDT CL-61a Classics- 6.5" Comp set
6.5" Driver & TW-20 3/4" Tweeter
2004 Model- Still brand new
4 ohm
110 watts rms
60-20,000Hz
92db sensitivity

- Massive Audio M6- 6.5" Midrange driver
8 ohm
140 watts RMS (per speaker)
270-10,000Hz range
96db sensitivity

- Skar Audio LP-80.4ABv2

So as you can see I have quite a few options when it comes to a setup. So who recommends what... Should I keep it way it is now w/ coaxials and tune with the dsp just those and my sub, see how it sounds? Or install the components, passive and play with them? Is it even possible to run those components active? I'm also planning on installing the Massive M6s somewhere for midbass, possibly the kick panels?

Not really sure about anything, and I'm willing to try anything and everything out, I just want to know that I wouldn't be wasting my time by trying things if theres a setup that seems like it would def work better than the others with the dsp. Bc as much as I like tinkering, it takes time and with a 40+ hr/week job and a young child freetime is hard to come by.

Thanks for sticking with me those who did, I appreciate any and all help.

And here's a little taste of this beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180802_174439_1533246991806.jpg (40.1 KB, 61 views)
Mitchc1113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018   #249

Rep Power: 18 Hubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enoughHubbard 0 will become famous soon enough

That's an interesting mash up of parts.

I'd run those components active with the 4 channel. It'd be cool to integrate those midbass drivers, but from what I've read for an ideal 3 way, all 3 of those speakers won't complement each other ideally. And of course for 3 way active you'd need 6 channels of amplification.

To maximize what you've got, I'd use the 4 channel amp for front components run active, use that 2 channel amplifier on the coaxials for rear fill, and then the sub. Everything can go through the DSP for great control.

You won't need the LC2, the Memphis speakers or Massive Audio.
Hubbard 0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018   #250

Mitchc113, itís best to run the tweeter and woofer seperate from the component set active, but just to get used to using the DSP, you can work with the current coaxial drivers you have installed and then upgrade later. Use an inline capacitor on the component tweeters to protect them in case you send a full range signal to them by accident. I did a YouTube tutorial on this DSP and software and go into how to set everything up, including that cap on the tweeters. Link is a few posts above, post 242.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement