cheapest SPL sub for the money? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018   #1
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 308 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

Default cheapest SPL sub for the money?

in the 12 inch version Dual 4 ohm who makes the cheapest sub that can still go reasonably low in ported box? I am not in the audio as much as I used to be . these will be going inside house to replace some NVX subs.
JAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2018   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 235 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Default Re: cheapest SPL sub for the money?

Not sure if it is really spl. But the pyle 15" have an fs of 18 and vas of 12cuft. So huge ported box should be a whale communicator. $70. Will take an honest 400 watts but Are fairly sensitive

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to minbari For This Useful Post:
imickey503 (06-09-2018)
Old 04-06-2018   #3

Rep Power: 32 Garcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enoughGarcbomber will become famous soon enough

Rockville K9, get them before the price increases.

http://www.ramforumz.com/signaturepi...ic116156_7.gif
Alpine 8.4/RF R500X1D/JL 12TW3 Active/Boston GTR12 Passive

Last edited by Garcbomber; 04-06-2018 at 11:16 AM..
Garcbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018   #4
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 308 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
Not sure if it is really spl. But the pyle 15" have an fs of 18 and vas of 12cuft. So huge ported box should be a whale communicator. $70. Will take an honest 400 watts but Are fairly sensitive

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
whale communicator..lol..
Old 04-06-2018   #5

Rep Power: 0 Colinmustlift will become famous soon enoughColinmustlift will become famous soon enoughColinmustlift will become famous soon enoughColinmustlift will become famous soon enoughColinmustlift will become famous soon enoughColinmustlift will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcbomber View Post
Rockville K9.
i've heard this all over the net lately, i even toyed with getting one myself, even tho i don't want 150db, just to try it.
Colinmustlift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018   #6

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 59 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Maybe the 600 W RMS 12" Skar VVX-12v3 (dual 4 ohm), for $140? https://www.skaraudio.com/collection...nt=18135446017
Grinder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018   #7

Banned

Rep Power: 0 SnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enough

What kind of SPL? Basshead daily driver or real SPL?
One is just a sub and one is designed with one goal.
SnakeOil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018   #8

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 59 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcbomber View Post
Rockville K9, get them before the price increases.
WOW! That thing really looks the business, and it seems to perform well too.

Jump to 4:15 (for unboxing, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8n04QuYgK8
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-06-2018   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 167 PPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the roughPPI_GUY is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
WOW! That thing really looks the business, and it seems to perform well too.

Jump to 4:15 (for unboxing, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8n04QuYgK8
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
They're definitely priced right. Don't know how they perform over time though.

OP, maybe look at the lower cost Sundown's as well. Heard good things about the LCS series...
LCS SERIES

For more power handling (and a smaller enclosure) the Soundqubed HDS2.1 would seem to be a good buy...
https://soundqubed.com/product/hds2-1-2/

Absolutely State Of The Art!
PPI_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018   #10

Rep Power: 43 Iamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enough

So why do you want a 12inch sub for your house? Better alternative is a 15 or 18. These can be had for the same price as a 12inch car sub

Look on the avsforum if your dealing with house stuff. Look in the diy sub md box section.
Iamsecond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018   #11
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamsecond View Post
So why do you want a 12inch sub for your house? Better alternative is a 15 or 18. These can be had for the same price as a 12inch car sub

Look on the avsforum if your dealing with house stuff. Look in the diy sub md box section.
because I already have to 12inch subs and 2 boxes. When I traded for the subs I have now nobody wanted to buy them even though it was cheap. so I ended up using them. but they are not SPL type subs.

I may try a 15 but then I will have to build or buy a box again...

I dont see the need automatically to go bigger than 12 but I have not used anything bigger than 12 so I dont know that.

this is for music by the way. power is not a problem. I have enough amps to run each sub with 1000 watts of pro power. Im not trying to do that either because my soundstage would be off and my mains underpowered.

Right now its near perfect I was just wondering what I could upgrade too.

I am curious on the 15 or 18 but its not for home theater. I dont even recall if my video is hooked into the system. i use it for very loud music
Old 04-06-2018   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 119 Oscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enoughOscar will become famous soon enough

Those Qts are very high, AND they only get higher and higher as drive level increases. It would definitely have a peak in the response that would likely be very difficult to tame.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018   #13

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
because I already have to 12inch subs and 2 boxes. When I traded for the subs I have now nobody wanted to buy them even though it was cheap. so I ended up using them. but they are not SPL type subs.

I may try a 15 but then I will have to build or buy a box again...

I dont see the need automatically to go bigger than 12 but I have not used anything bigger than 12 so I dont know that.

this is for music by the way. power is not a problem. I have enough amps to run each sub with 1000 watts of pro power. Im not trying to do that either because my soundstage would be off and my mains underpowered.

Right now its near perfect I was just wondering what I could upgrade too.

I am curious on the 15 or 18 but its not for home theater. I dont even recall if my video is hooked into the system. i use it for very loud music
What's the Vb of each of those two boxes?
What would be your target Fb?
How loud are you trying to get?
Old 04-06-2018   #14

Rep Power: 68 ParDeus will become famous soon enoughParDeus will become famous soon enoughParDeus will become famous soon enoughParDeus will become famous soon enoughParDeus will become famous soon enoughParDeus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Those Qts are very high, AND they only get higher and higher as drive level increases. It would definitely have a peak in the response that would likely be very difficult to tame.
That's what caught my eye, those high qts figures. The look and specs scream bottom barrel buildhouse. But hey, for $100? I may get two 15's just for shits and giggles.
ParDeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018   #15
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
What's the Vb of each of those two boxes?
What would be your target Fb?
How loud are you trying to get?
boxes are 1.5ported tuned to 35hz

thats about all i know lol....im not techical about the sub even though i should be
Old 04-07-2018   #16

Banned

Rep Power: 0 SnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enough

Quote:

thats about all i know lol....im not techical about the sub even though i should be
Thatís to small for a high output 12
SnakeOil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018   #17

Enthusiast

Quote:

Oh, and how much port area are we working with?

<edit> ...and is it a flared port?
Old 04-07-2018   #18
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

after actually doing an hour of searching on parts express i believe I am going to wait a while and get a 15 or 18 in subwoofer and box from them. they now have premade boxes for some of the excellent drivers. save the guess work.
Old 04-07-2018   #19

Rep Power: 21 NeutralAudioHoteL will become famous soon enoughNeutralAudioHoteL will become famous soon enoughNeutralAudioHoteL will become famous soon enoughNeutralAudioHoteL will become famous soon enoughNeutralAudioHoteL will become famous soon enoughNeutralAudioHoteL will become famous soon enough

My sundown U series being installed is rated at 1500 rms for $379 if you want some bang for your buck. A new model they released to bridge the gap between the SA and the X series. I will be hearing what this beast sounds like at 6 or 7 today. The sub isn't on the sundown website yet but there is a couple of specs for it on the down4soundsshop site.
NeutralAudioHoteL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2018   #20

Enthusiast

Quote:
after actually doing an hour of searching on parts express i believe I am going to wait a while and get a 15 or 18 in subwoofer and box from them. they now have premade boxes for some of the excellent drivers. save the guess work.
Hard to go wrong with the HF 15, for only $173 (at least I hope so, as I've got a pair of 'em on backorder).
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-468
Old 04-08-2018   #21

Rep Power: 43 Iamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enoughIamsecond will become famous soon enough

You will not be disappointed in your decision. I had a 12 inch sub in my house and just never really liked the output and extension. It sounded good but not like a 12 in my car.
I bought 4 18s to put in my house but then decided to put 2 24 inch stereo integrity ht24s in. Wow!!!!!!!!! Itís the tightest, hard hitting, and deep bass I have ever experienced. That being said, I have never seen a dj rig with 12 inch subs. They get loud and wild but most use 15s or 18s to do it.
Those Daytonís have a sensitivity of 91db and there are other subs on there that have a higher sensitivity but may not play as low. And the flat pack boxes are great and inexpensive.
We are selling our house and I am trying to figure out a car I can buy and use at least one of these 24s in ib in the car. Mine have no box. The attic is there box as I am using them in ib firing into my room, but the subs are mounted in the attic. The best part is giant subs but no loss of floor space.
Old 04-08-2018   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

I have a nice 18" Mach 5 sub i would like to sell, its barely broken in. I bought it for my HT, but the wife said no.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2018   #23

Enthusiast

Quote:
You will not be disappointed in your decision. I had a 12 inch sub in my house and just never really liked the output and extension. It sounded good but not like a 12 in my car.
I bought 4 18s to put in my house but then decided to put 2 24 inch stereo integrity ht24s in. Wow!!!!!!!!! Itís the tightest, hard hitting, and deep bass I have ever experienced. That being said, I have never seen a dj rig with 12 inch subs. They get loud and wild but most use 15s or 18s to do it.
Those Daytonís have a sensitivity of 91db and there are other subs on there that have a higher sensitivity but may not play as low. And the flat pack boxes are great and inexpensive.
We are selling our house and I am trying to figure out a car I can buy and use at least one of these 24s in ib in the car. Mine have no box. The attic is there box as I am using them in ib firing into my room, but the subs are mounted in the attic. The best part is giant subs but no loss of floor space.
Maaaaaaaaan, that must really be something... What an awesome setup!!!
Old 04-08-2018   #24

It is sick. Things start moving in the room about 4hz. But music sounds awesome as well.
Old 04-08-2018   #25

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 90 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I bought 4 18s to put in my house but then decided to put 2 24 inch stereo integrity ht24s in. Wow!!!!!!!!!
Holy shit, that is awesome!

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement