DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

If you were shopping today, which Head Unit would you buy?

23K views 93 replies 35 participants last post by  LBaudio 
#1 · (Edited)
I’ve been considering upgrading my OEM HU lately, so I’m curious:

If you were in the market to replace your HU today, what would you get?

I know CES 2019 is right around the corner, so if you’d wait for an anticipated release, I’d be interested to know any information you have regarding it.

As for myself, I’m really intrigued with the Alpine Halo9. That floating screen is just sexy and I like the fact that it has apple CarPlay (I know it’s wired/ not BT). But the screen resolution isn’t all that great, and though it’s much better than some - I’m concerned with lag time. Overall I’m sure my purchase would either be Alpine or Kenwood.

#2 ·
Nooooo... after all the work you did integrating that JBL/PAC AmPRO combo! Lol.

I've been looking at the Halo9 too and the X208U.. pretty much the same thing but different screen size... But will likely wait until they improve the screen resolution & wireless phone integration. Really wish they would bring back the digital output too but with volume control this time. Looking forward to CES news too...

If our gen 7.5 Camry's didn't have such a large area to fill; I would consider some of the other brand DDins. I've read some of the Kenwoods have high quality preamp - likely better than the Alpines but I feel the standard 7" screen DDins just don't fill out the dash enough to look right for me.

Reactions: Chris12
#9 ·
I sure did invest a lot of time into swapping from my Entune Premium to the factory JBL HU (+factory amp), plus the PAC AmpPro integration, but in the end it sounded like shi..., it sounded bad. I ended up with the infamous "hiss" as encountered by so many other Camry/Toyota owners and discussed extensively in this thread: Speakers make a hissing sound after amplifier install on 2015 Camry Non-JBL (Solved) and all these other threads.

I thought I would get a clean signal from the PAC AmpPro, but no dice. I haven't done much troubleshooting, but with so many people having the same issue with the Camry Entune unit, it wouldn't take that big a stretch of the imagination to believe that it extends to the JBL unit (with or without the PAC). Anyhow, I'm glad I tried the OEM route, but I think I'll cut my losses with it now. I've put too much time/effort into this project to sit back and accept subpar performance just to keep all my OEM functionality.

Totally agree on the screen resolution issue with the Halo9. I'm really hoping they reveal a revised unit at the 2019 CES, but I may buy it either way. As we both know there aren't many (any?) larger than double-Din (8" etc.) dash kits that will fit our generation 7.5 Camry's without modification. So, I like the ilx-f309 uses the readily available standard double-din for the meat of the unit, then covers it up with that huge 9" protruding screen. I've never seen one of these in person, but I know a standard iPad is 9.7" ( the mini is 7.9"), so this truly is one large screen.

I really like the Kenwood's too, but the lack of larger dash kits really makes them unpractical for me.

#5 ·
I would probably buy the Kenwood DMX-905S. I really want the DDX9907S but the coin is a bit too high on that one.

Only other thing I would consider would be the NEW-4400 (or its AVIC upgrade)

Alpine has been screwing the pooch on their designs as of late.

I hate it how the manufacturers are still like what feels like 2 years behind in tech.

Here's hoping someone can make a HU with
7"+ capacitive screen
HD screen 720/1080P
Digital out (optical,coax, usb, hdmi anything is fine)
Dual camera input
idatalink capability
auto TA

#11 ·
Alpine iLX-207 - until they upgrade to a 720p screen. Halo 9 screen looks even worse, same resolution, but even bigger screen, so more pixelation. I couldn't live with the RSX-GS9 due to the single din. DDX9905S is decent, but it's a Kenwood, I don't like the interface. One to also consider is the FiiO M7 and a bluetooth module.

#14 ·
DDX9905S. I might just pick one up in the next week or so. The current rebate (ends 12/31) might pressure me into making the purchase sooner than later.

If you can wait a few weeks and aren't worried about the rebate, I would hold off to see what shows up at CES.

#33 ·
OK, I actually was shopping today and placed my order for a DDX9905S. :D

I wanted to get in on the rebate and didn't really want to wait for CES.

#17 ·
I was tempted to try the Sony XAV-AX5000 for the price. But, I'll pony up the extra for the Kenwood.

#19 ·
I was surprised at the amount of ddx 9905/ dnx995s that was at finals last season, and they held their own, also if you drive a car with a dnx995s installed you’ll definitely buy it over the ddx9905,I never use the nav but street info and other cool stuff is always displayed at the bottom of the screen.

#28 ·
I've been waiting for someone to post a CES 2019 rumors thread but I'll leave this one here..

I don't know the facts but I would think that the Alpine ILX-F309 (Halo) sales numbers this year were very good - likely better than any other of the Alpine HUs. I would like to think that the numbers were so good that it would get the attention of Kenwood and maybe others to come out with their own versions.

So heres my hope for CES 2019 - More larger screen "halo" type headunits with better features, spec's and screens.

#36 ·
I use the DDX 9705S works and sounds great. I was going to get the DDX 9905S when I swapped out of DDX9703S but they were on backorder at the time. So decided to go the DDX 9705S route. Only difference was the HD screen, 5V preout and 2 year warranty. When they came off backorder, I figured I would wait til 2019 to see if they make any major if any changes. Since the DDX 9705S provided everything I needed ( 2 Camera for backup and dvr for accident/ lane departure, k40 radar warning control The user Interface alone on Kenwood beats out every one else. I’ve used most these units listed by other here. Kenwood has better sound quality as well. Didn’t like the sound or interface of the pioneer, screen ( no Capacitive Touch). Sony double Din units are good unit just to get your foot in the door at a good price for CarPlay or Android Auto. Same with the pioneer units, but has more features. Lack sound quality and interface. Kenwood is the way to go.

#39 ·
I’m strongly considering buying the new Kenwood Excelon DDX9906XR when it’s released, which is expected to happen next month.

Looks like it’ll have a $900 price tag, which is certainly a lot of money, but I’d be okay with it.

For me, the wireless Apple CarPlay is one of the most important features of this HU. I’m really hoping it’s not a let down as I know there were some bugs discussed in this thread: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/foru.../382090-new-2018-kenwood-excelon-dnx995s.html

Can anyone give feedback on the performance of the Apple CarPlay (wired) on their current KENWOOD HU? I know ErinH is a fan of it.

#41 · (Edited)
I’m strongly considering buying the new Kenwood Excelon DDX9906XR when it’s released, which is expected to happen next month.

Looks like it’ll have a $900 price tag, which is certainly a lot of money, but I’d be okay with it.

For me, the wireless Apple CarPlay is one of the most important features of this HU. I’m really hoping it’s not a let down as I know there were some bugs discussed in this thread: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/foru.../382090-new-2018-kenwood-excelon-dnx995s.html

Can anyone give feedback on the performance of the Apple CarPlay (wired) on their current KENWOOD HU? I know ErinH is a fan of it.
Wired Apple Carplay using the DDX9905s is pretty great IMO (I tested it using my sister's iPhone X during some road trips while she was visiting from Australia over the holidays).

Wired Android Auto is "okay"...it works well, but it's not quite as polished or seamless as Carplay now that the new iOS 12 update includes WAZE & Google Maps. With either, you are quite a bit more limited to what you can do compared to using the phone directly, but while driving, the basic needed functionality is there.

The only thing I might warn you about with the newer DDX9906XR compared to the previous model DDX9905s, is that the new model has added a required VSS wire (Vehicle Speed Sensor) in the main harness that you MUST connect to the ODBII port in order to use Wireless Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

With the DDX9905s/DNX995s, you could simply connect the Parking Brake wire to (-) Ground to achieve the video-in-motion Parking Brake Bypass, which also allows the use of some setup/adjustment functions that are otherwise only allowed when "the vehicle is stopped with the parking brake on", such as BT setup or Audio DSP/Network adjustments.

I realize that it's really convenient to be able to keep your phone in your pocket or purse and still have Apple Carplay or Android Auto functionality Wirelessly, but in general I usually want to keep my phone charging while I'm in the car, so the wired connection is not a big deal for me on the "older" 9905s/995s. You'd have to remove the phone from your pocket or purse to do any type of wireless charging while in the car anyway, so? (Some newer vehicles have wireless charging pads or docks built-in).

The new "996/9906" units also have 3 Inputs for Cameras, so you can do a Front, Rear, & Dash cam now. Previous units had 2 inputs. You can add a composite or HDMI video input and/or Mirror your Android smartphone screen using an aftermarket adaptor or two plugged into either unit's 3.5mm "AV-IN" jack, but it will not be active (I think) on the newer units if the VSS senses that the car is in motion. :(

I ran the Sony RSX-GS9 double stacked with a Denon DCT-1 for the past year or so, and recently swapped it for the Kenwood DDX9905s. I really just wanted a better interface, user experience, everything else about the Sony was great. I do love the Kenwood, but there were a couple of things about it that make me scratch my head.

First it doesn't make much sense to me to have a hi-res screen and have no way to use it. No blu-ray, no HDMI.

Second the A/V input is proprietary so you can't just run any 3.5 A/V cable without some customizing

Third is the weblink, oh man I don't want to even talk about it, but let's just say it's trash. So a Kenwood from 2013 I think the model no is DNX990HD has HDMI, and a full web browser, but in 2018 no dice. Would much rather have the web browser than weblink...

There are a couple smaller things that get to me like how Spotify works differently from android auto to BT(AA shows how far along in the song you are, BT does not), but overall it's a beautiful display and having navigation with traffic has paid for itself.

I completely agree regarding the 995s/9905s having a Hi-Res Display but no Blu-Ray disc player or HDMI input! :/ However, as mentioned above, you can input an HDMI signal or do Screen Mirroring with a separate adapter or two. Check out this video from Quality Mobile Video and check the links in the video description for the adapters...

And the "AV-IN" on the back of the unit isn't really proprietary. I have a standard 3.5mm stereo miniplug cable plugged into this jack and it works perfectly as a standard Analog "AUX input" jack using the 3.5mm Headphone Output jack on an iPod Classic, smartphone, etc . I routed this cable from this jack to my GF's OEM "AUX Input" jack in the center console of her vehicle. NOTE: You have to Enable that input within the audio settings on the Kenwood. ;)

And I agree that WebLink SUX! The only use for it WAS (past tense) being able to use WAZE when connected to an iPhone. Otherwise its features and functionality are worthless and janky.

These Kenwood units aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but IMO they come the closest to having nearly every usable feature that I want and being somewhat easy to operate compared to others, + really great SQ.

I do wish that a "Scrobber Bar" & music track time & position indicator were UNIVERSAL across ALL of the different playback apps...BT, Spotify, Pandora, Android Auto, Carplay, USB input, etc! It's a real PITA when playing really long tracks such as classical or full "mixtapes", etc.

#40 ·
I ran the Sony RSX-GS9 double stacked with a Denon DCT-1 for the past year or so, and recently swapped it for the Kenwood DDX9905s. I really just wanted a better interface, user experience, everything else about the Sony was great. I do love the Kenwood, but there were a couple of things about it that make me scratch my head. First it doesn't make much sense to me to have a hi-res screen and have no way to use it. No blu-ray, no HDMI. Second the A/V input is proprietary so you can't just run any 3.5 A/V cable without some customizing. Third is the weblink, oh man I don't want to even talk about it, but let's just say it's trash. So a Kenwood from 2013 I think the model no is DNX990HD has HDMI, and a full web browser, but in 2018 no dice. Would much rather have the web browser than weblink...

There are a couple smaller things that get to me like how Spotify works differently from android auto to BT(AA shows how far along in the song you are, BT does not), but overall it's a beautiful display and having navigation with traffic has paid for itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.