If you were shopping today, which Head Unit would you buy? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2018   #1

Rep Power: 17 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Default If you were shopping today, which Head Unit would you buy?

Iíve been considering upgrading my OEM HU lately, so Iím curious:

If you were in the market to replace your HU today, what would you get?

I know CES 2019 is right around the corner, so if youíd wait for an anticipated release, Iíd be interested to know any information you have regarding it.

As for myself, Iím really intrigued with the Alpine Halo9. That floating screen is just sexy and I like the fact that it has apple CarPlay (I know itís wired/ not BT). But the screen resolution isnít all that great, and though itís much better than some - Iím concerned with lag time. Overall Iím sure my purchase would either be Alpine or Kenwood.

DDX9905s HU| MiniDSP| JL XD Amps | GS10/GS40/GS690| AE SBP15
JL ZR800ís on the way!

Last edited by Chris12; 12-21-2018 at 07:18 AM..
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 66 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Default Re: If you were shopping today, which Head Unit would you buy?

Nooooo... after all the work you did integrating that JBL/PAC AmPRO combo! Lol.

I've been looking at the Halo9 too and the X208U.. pretty much the same thing but different screen size... But will likely wait until they improve the screen resolution & wireless phone integration. Really wish they would bring back the digital output too but with volume control this time. Looking forward to CES news too...

If our gen 7.5 Camry's didn't have such a large area to fill; I would consider some of the other brand DDins. I've read some of the Kenwoods have high quality preamp - likely better than the Alpines but I feel the standard 7" screen DDins just don't fill out the dash enough to look right for me.

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Truthunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Truthunter For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #3

Rep Power: 30 karmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enoughkarmajack will become famous soon enough

DDX9905S

Outdated Nex head unit. Frog GS60 mids. Seas tweets. 10w3 sub. 450 JL watts up front, 600 JL watts to the sub. Dayton DSP. Nothing too fancy.
karmajack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karmajack For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018), rton20s (12-21-2018)

Old 12-21-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 160 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmajack View Post
DDX9905S
Probably this.

Some old luggage

naiku is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to naiku For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #5

Rep Power: 73 Silvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enoughSilvercoat will become famous soon enough

I would probably buy the Kenwood DMX-905S. I really want the DDX9907S but the coin is a bit too high on that one.

Only other thing I would consider would be the NEW-4400 (or its AVIC upgrade)

Alpine has been screwing the pooch on their designs as of late.

I hate it how the manufacturers are still like what feels like 2 years behind in tech.

Here's hoping someone can make a HU with
7"+ capacitive screen
HD screen 720/1080P
Digital out (optical,coax, usb, hdmi anything is fine)
Dual camera input
idatalink capability
auto TA
Silvercoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Silvercoat For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Sony RSX-GS9

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to subterFUSE For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 15 Omicron will become famous soon enoughOmicron will become famous soon enoughOmicron will become famous soon enoughOmicron will become famous soon enoughOmicron will become famous soon enoughOmicron will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmajack View Post
DDX9905S
This would be my choice as well. I liked the UI smoothness and the screen quite a bit. I just couldnít make it work in the space/connectivity I had to work with, but I wish I could.
Omicron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Omicron For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,652 Times in 1,150 Posts
Rep Power: 449 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Halo 9 or DDX9905S

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #9

Rep Power: 17 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
Nooooo... after all the work you did integrating that JBL/PAC AmPRO combo! Lol.

I've been looking at the Halo9 too and the X208U.. pretty much the same thing but different screen size... But will likely wait until they improve the screen resolution & wireless phone integration. Really wish they would bring back the digital output too but with volume control this time. Looking forward to CES news too...

If our gen 7.5 Camry's didn't have such a large area to fill; I would consider some of the other brand DDins. I've read some of the Kenwoods have high quality preamp - likely better than the Alpines but I feel the standard 7" screen DDins just don't fill out the dash enough to look right for me.

I sure did invest a lot of time into swapping from my Entune Premium to the factory JBL HU (+factory amp), plus the PAC AmpPro integration, but in the end it sounded like shi..., it sounded bad. I ended up with the infamous "hiss" as encountered by so many other Camry/Toyota owners and discussed extensively in this thread: Speakers make a hissing sound after amplifier install on 2015 Camry Non-JBL (Solved) and all these other threads.

I thought I would get a clean signal from the PAC AmpPro, but no dice. I haven't done much troubleshooting, but with so many people having the same issue with the Camry Entune unit, it wouldn't take that big a stretch of the imagination to believe that it extends to the JBL unit (with or without the PAC). Anyhow, I'm glad I tried the OEM route, but I think I'll cut my losses with it now. I've put too much time/effort into this project to sit back and accept subpar performance just to keep all my OEM functionality.

Totally agree on the screen resolution issue with the Halo9. I'm really hoping they reveal a revised unit at the 2019 CES, but I may buy it either way. As we both know there aren't many (any?) larger than double-Din (8" etc.) dash kits that will fit our generation 7.5 Camry's without modification. So, I like the ilx-f309 uses the readily available standard double-din for the meat of the unit, then covers it up with that huge 9" protruding screen. I've never seen one of these in person, but I know a standard iPad is 9.7" ( the mini is 7.9"), so this truly is one large screen.

I really like the Kenwood's too, but the lack of larger dash kits really makes them unpractical for me.

JL ZR800ís on the way!
Old 12-21-2018   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Sony RSX-GS9
I really like the look of the RSX-GS9 and I've heard great things about it. For single din, this is a great option.

JL ZR800ís on the way!
Old 12-21-2018   #11

Rep Power: 31 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

Alpine iLX-207 - until they upgrade to a 720p screen. Halo 9 screen looks even worse, same resolution, but even bigger screen, so more pixelation. I couldn't live with the RSX-GS9 due to the single din. DDX9905S is decent, but it's a Kenwood, I don't like the interface. One to also consider is the FiiO M7 and a bluetooth module.

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to disconnected For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 66 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
I sure did invest a lot of time into swapping from my Entune Premium to the factory JBL HU (+factory amp), plus the PAC AmpPro integration, but in the end it sounded like shi..., it sounded bad. I ended up with the infamous "hiss" as encountered by so many other Camry/Toyota owners and discussed extensively in this thread: Speakers make a hissing sound after amplifier install on 2015 Camry Non-JBL (Solved) and all these other threads.

I thought I would get a clean signal from the PAC AmpPro, but no dice. I haven't done much troubleshooting, but with so many people having the same issue with the Camry Entune unit, it wouldn't take that big a stretch of the imagination to believe that it extends to the JBL unit (with or without the PAC). Anyhow, I'm glad I tried the OEM route, but I think I'll cut my losses with it now. I've put too much time/effort into this project to sit back and accept subpar performance just to keep all my OEM functionality.
Oh man, really sorry to hear that... I'd like to discuss further... I'll PM you.

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Truthunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Truthunter For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #13

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,076 Times in 509 Posts
Rep Power: 26017 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

DDX9905s would be the only option I'd consider. It's what I use now. It's the closest thing to perfect for my specific needs.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ErinH For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 357 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

DDX9905S. I might just pick one up in the next week or so. The current rebate (ends 12/31) might pressure me into making the purchase sooner than later.

If you can wait a few weeks and aren't worried about the rebate, I would hold off to see what shows up at CES.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

In this order:

DDX9905S
X208U
DNX995S
ILX207
DMX905S

I wouldn't consider anything from Pioneer, Sony, JVC.
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Angrywhopper For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #16

Rep Power: 12 DanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enoughDanKind75 will become famous soon enough

Had my DDX9905S installed by SkizeR a couple of weeks ago. It's a little tricky to get used to. But, definitely, worth the price. Nice job by Nick on the install with the Helix PRO MK2 DSP!!!

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Kenwood DDX9905s | Hertz ML700.3 & ML280.3 | Audiofrog GB60 & GB10D4 | Helix Pro MK2 DSP | Hertz HDP5 & HDP4
DanKind75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanKind75 For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018), SkizeR (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 357 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrywhopper View Post
In this order:

DDX9905S
X208U
DNX995S
ILX207
DMX905S

I wouldn't consider anything from Pioneer, Sony, JVC.
I was tempted to try the Sony XAV-AX5000 for the price. But, I'll pony up the extra for the Kenwood.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 135 Angrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enoughAngrywhopper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
I was tempted to try the Sony XAV-AX5000 for the price. But, I'll pony up the extra for the Kenwood.
The extra bucks for the Kenwood is worth it. PM me I can give you details for whats coming up next year.
Angrywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Angrywhopper For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #19

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Technician

Rep Power: 48 Mullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enough

I was surprised at the amount of ddx 9905/ dnx995s that was at finals last season, and they held their own, also if you drive a car with a dnx995s installed you’ll definitely buy it over the ddx9905,I never use the nav but street info and other cool stuff is always displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Mullings is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mullings For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #20

Rep Power: 18 K-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enough

My choices are:

2 din: DNX995S

1 din: Pioneer P99rs/ Carrozzeria Deh-p01

sony rsx-gs9 build quality is lacking for it's price.
K-pop sucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to K-pop sucks For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-23-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #21

Rep Power: 0 Ballistic_G will become famous soon enoughBallistic_G will become famous soon enoughBallistic_G will become famous soon enoughBallistic_G will become famous soon enoughBallistic_G will become famous soon enoughBallistic_G will become famous soon enough

Sony RSX-GS9 can't go wrong with simplicity and hi-res...
Ballistic_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ballistic_G For This Useful Post:
GreatLaBroski (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 82 timps67 will become famous soon enoughtimps67 will become famous soon enoughtimps67 will become famous soon enoughtimps67 will become famous soon enoughtimps67 will become famous soon enoughtimps67 will become famous soon enough

BTW, Kenwood has $200 mail in on the 995s and $100 on the 9905s until Dec 31. Still time to buy yourself a Christmas present.
timps67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to timps67 For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018   #23

Rep Power: 33 OCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enough

I'm waiting for CES 2019.

Hopefully some new offerings in the high end single din.

If not,
Pioneer DEH-80PRS
OCD66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to OCD66 For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullings View Post
I was surprised at the amount of ddx 9905/ dnx995s that was at finals last season, and they held their own, also if you drive a car with a dnx995s installed youíll definitely buy it over the ddx9905,I never use the nav but street info and other cool stuff is always displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Thanks for the additional info on the dnx995s vs the ddx9905. The first thing that popped into my head was that it wasnít worth the extra price as I use my phones navigation, but Iíll give it a second look.

JL ZR800ís on the way!
Old 12-22-2018   #25

Rep Power: 20 cycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Alpine iLX-207 - until they upgrade to a 720p screen. Halo 9 screen looks even worse, same resolution, but even bigger screen, so more pixelation. I couldn't live with the RSX-GS9 due to the single din. DDX9905S is decent, but it's a Kenwood, I don't like the interface. One to also consider is the FiiO M7 and a bluetooth module.
disconnected could you explain how the Fiio M7 and bluetooth module would work ? as I'm thinking of using a Fiio in my active setup
cycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement