JBL MS-8 Camaro6 Installation - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Loudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enough

Default JBL MS-8 Camaro6 Installation

I am looking to install a JBL MS-8 into my 2017 Camaro. My model does not have any amplifier in the trunk like many do, so I'm having trouble determining the best location to tap into the speaker wires. I'm thinking of trying to access each speaker individually and extending the speaker wire to reach the MS-8 and then running the output wire from the MS-8 back to each speaker.

The only other option I can think of is to intercept the speaker wires at the back of the stock headunit, but I'd prefer not to cut wires if I can help it.

I will be upgrading the stock speakers in the near future and will need to access them regardless.

Does anyone have any installation experience with the MS-8/6th gen Camaro and feel that this sounds like a reasonable way to do it?
Loudsounds1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 rockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to rockinridgeline

Default Re: JBL MS-8 Camaro6 Installation

I just finished an install on a 2016 2SS with the Bose system this weekend. I purchased some door speaker adapters from Crutchfield and got the installation instructions as part of the purchase. If you want to shoot me a PM with your email I would be happy to send those to you. To my knowledge the Camaros either have the Bose amp or a non-Bose amp. The Bose amp is on the left side in the well at the rear of the trunk. Check there first. If you have an amp there, you just need this harness and you can use all of your factory wiring: https://pac-audio.com/catalog/audio-...acing/aph-gm02

The factory radio is not located behind the display. The display and touch screen are just that. The factory tuner module is located in the upper right of the dash. You access it by dropping the panel under the passenger side dash. You shouldn't have to access it unless you are trying to tap into the factory MOST signal. That is the way to get a clean signal before the factory amplifier. That device is expensive but worth it if you want the best possible quality. You can find it here: https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro...faces/ap4-gm61

Let me know if I can help. Having just finished the install, besides tuning, I am very intimate with the Camaro.

2018 911 GTS - OEMHU, ZEN, Helix DSPPro, Zapco AP150.4's, Morel Piccolos/Hybrid4's/SW9's, 10"JL TW1
2019 Grand Cherokee - OEMHU; Helix DSP Pro; Zapco AP150.6, 150.2, 400.2; Dyn Esotar2 3way; JL 12W6V3 x 2; AF GB25 rr fill
rockinridgeline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Loudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enoughLoudsounds1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the the helpful info. As far as the amplifier, I checked my spare tire well and I don't have one at all. I have read online other people reporting that their Camaro did not come with an amplifier, Bose or non-Bose.

That speaker wire harness looks helpful, but I don't know if i can use it since I have no amp. Also, with the MS-8 I think I have to interrupt the signal from the headunit to the speakers. It seems like that harness would just tap into the speaker wires. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've also come across this in my research. It looks similar to the 2nd product you linked.
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT838/m650-gm.html

Do you have any idea if there'd be an advantage to using one of those products in addition to the MS-8?
Loudsounds1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 130 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

See if you can find a T-harness for your radio - basically a male and female end that connects inline to your radio, then just cut those wires into a million pieces and feel no shame!

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 rockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enoughrockinridgeline will become famous soon enough

I poked around on the Camaro forums and it looks like the 1SS and 1LE don't have amps. Seems like some guys have tapped into the rear speaker leads to get signal. You wouldn't want to tap into the front leads because the factory chimes play through the front and you would be amplifying those to great displeasure. If I remember correctly, the MS-8 has a built in Line Out Converter that would allow you to do that. There are also aftermarket LOC's that would do that for you.

The NAVTV device has the same function as the PAC part I linked to. I have the NAVTV Zen in my 911 and it does a great job.

If you don't have a factory amplifier then there may not be a MOST signal from the tuner module to intercept with either the NAVTV or the PAC module so they wouldn't help you. I am assuming there is no MOST signal from the factory radio since the amplifier is internal to the radio, but I can't be sure.

Without an amp, all of the factory speaker wiring should terminate to the factory tuner module which is buried in the passenger side dash. This thread helped me figure out where it was and how to get it out. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10453087 Be prepared to stand on your head. It was a pain!

2018 911 GTS - OEMHU, ZEN, Helix DSPPro, Zapco AP150.4's, Morel Piccolos/Hybrid4's/SW9's, 10"JL TW1
2019 Grand Cherokee - OEMHU; Helix DSP Pro; Zapco AP150.6, 150.2, 400.2; Dyn Esotar2 3way; JL 12W6V3 x 2; AF GB25 rr fill
Old 03-18-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

With regards to using the factory speaker wiring, I would say that you can easily run wires from your amplifiers to the dash speakers, to tweeters in the A-pillars if you choose to put some there, to rear deck speakers and /or to rear side speakers. It is a little more difficult to get wires into the doors. If you don't want to run wires to the doors, I would tap into the factory wiring to the door speakers and run new wires everywhere else as it isn't that difficult. The factory kick panels, sill panels and rear side panels are pretty easy to remove and replace if you have worked on car audio before. Again, I have the Crutchfiled instructions that show you where all of the screws and fasteners are that you need to access. It will save you from guessing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement