4 ohm DVC sub...2 ohm vs. 8 ohm load - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019   #1

Rep Power: 39 ajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enough

Default 4 ohm DVC sub...2 ohm vs. 8 ohm load

Little back story...made a custom box for my 12" Focal K2 sub for my F150. Focal wants to see between 0.89 to 1.23 cu.ft. for a sealed box. I am right at 1.3 so am happy with that. Providing the power is a Hertz HCP 1DK (1240 W @ 2 ohms, 740 W @ 4 ohms). RMS on the woofer is 800, 1600 max.

I have always wired my subs for the lowest impedance that the amplifier is rated for. Of course, I first wired it in parallel. Even with the gain barely at 1/3rd the sub was just too much. Don't get me wrong...the low lows sounded amazing but I was getting just too much muddy/boomy bass around the 45hz range. Even messing around with my Audison AP Forza 8.9 Bit I couldn't get rid of it. OK...lets try something different. Swapped the wiring over to series and now it's damn near perfect! The lows still shake you to the bone and the drums in rock music you can feel in your chest.

Is this a common practice? Haven't really seen much at all on wiring a sub to a higher ohm load. One other thing I was considering is decreasing the internal volume of the box a little at a time and see how that affects the sound before I switched to an 8 ohm load.
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Stevens Audio
Position:
Founder

Rep Power: 163 Eric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the roughEric Stevens is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: 4 ohm DVC sub...2 ohm vs. 8 ohm load

From experience all limited bandwidth subwoofer class D mono amps will sound better at the higher impedance. Better damping factor because the series resistance of the output filter has a significantly reduced effect at 8 ohms versus 2 ohms. There are other factors at work but that would be my summation.

If you want less boominess and cleaner transients you most likely would want to stuff the enclosure with polyfill or preferably fiberglass insulation. about 1.5 lbs should be right.
Eric Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stevens For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019   #3

Rep Power: 39 ajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enoughajb1205 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 4 ohm DVC sub...2 ohm vs. 8 ohm load

Damn it...forgot about the polyfill. I just happen to have a bag of it at home even.
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement