Protect mode after install - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019   #1

Rep Power: 26 Twobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enough

Default Protect mode after install

I just installed a Kicker DXA500.1 amp in my car, and all it does is go into protect mode when I turn on the ignition. It does this even with the subwoofer and RCA input disconnected. I have double-checked all connections, and everything looks good. I am not in the car audio business or anything, but I have installed a handful of amps before and never had an issue - pretty confident I haven't done anything wrong here. I have used 4 gauge cable per Kicker recommendation, the positive and ground connections are tight, the amp is not touching the chassis, etc. The ground connection I am using is the same connection that the car battery uses. I am at this point assuming I have a defective amp. What could I be missing here?
Twobeers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Protect mode after install

how did you disconnect the sub speaker wire? At the sub or at the amp? If at the sub, you might have a speaker wire touching ground someplace?

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019   #3

Rep Power: 26 Twobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
how did you disconnect the sub speaker wire? At the sub or at the amp? If at the sub, you might have a speaker wire touching ground someplace?
I disconnected it at the sub. The speaker wires are not touching anything.

Old 05-12-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 158 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobeers View Post
I disconnected it at the sub. The speaker wires are not touching anything.
That you see, could be something as daft as a single strand, disconnect them from the amp end, if that doesn’t fix it, it’s the amp that’s screwed 😒
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 130 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

Pull it out, inspect the internals and bench test it out of the vehicle.

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019   #6

Rep Power: 0 Susyl will become famous soon enoughSusyl will become famous soon enoughSusyl will become famous soon enoughSusyl will become famous soon enoughSusyl will become famous soon enoughSusyl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Swept View Post
Pull it out, inspect the internals and bench test it out of the vehicle.
+1
Susyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susyl View Post
+1
So, I ended up removing the power and ground cables from the amp and battery, swapping out the fuse (why not?), re-installing everything, and...it works!!! No idea what the issue was, as the fuse I removed looked just fine and everything else is the same.

Now my problem is figuring out how to keep the trunk lid from sounding like it is going to fly off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement