LC8i or DSP? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019   #1

Rep Power: 15 kaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enough

Default LC8i or DSP?

Wanted to keep my factory stereo, and add AUX input.

LC8i looks ideal, but I was wondering if it's worth getting a DSP for a car stereo instead?
kaivorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019   #2

Rep Power: 56 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: LC8i or DSP?

Dayton audio DSP-408 is only $150 and offers A LOT more compared to the lc8i!

2014 F150 Limited
Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs, Alpine PDX-V9, Active Tweeters: SI M25, Mids: SI TM65 mk3, Sub: JL TW3, Rears: SB17's, Helix DSP.2, Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV
jdunk54nl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019   #3

Rep Power: 15 kaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enoughkaivorth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
Interesting, does this do bass restoration and whatnot?

And the auto turn on without a remote lead?

Old 05-12-2019   #4
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,151 Posts
Rep Power: 450 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The LC8i is an OEM integration piece. Unfortunately these cheaper DSP's lack a lot of necessary features for integration into certain cars. That being said, it may be an option depending on the car.

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 450 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivorth View Post
Interesting, does this do bass restoration and whatnot?

And the auto turn on without a remote lead?
90% sure it does not have input eq and doesnt have signal sense turn on

Old 05-12-2019   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Quote:
The LC8i is an OEM integration piece. Unfortunately these cheaper DSP's lack a lot of necessary features for integration into certain cars. That being said, it may be an option depending on the car.
Civic 18 Hatchback. I just realized the LC8i also doesn't have the bass restoration feature... Maybe I'll keep my LC7i already installed?

I just wanted an aux input in addition to the LC7i. idk why this is so difficult.
Old 05-12-2019   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Civic 18 Hatchback. I just realized the LC8i also doesn't have the bass restoration feature... Maybe I'll keep my LC7i already installed?

I just wanted an aux input in addition to the LC7i. idk why this is so difficult.
Do youself a favor and get a decent dsp with input eq. Itll make such a vast improvement over a fancy line out converter if used properly

Old 05-12-2019   #8

Quote:
Do youself a favor and get a decent dsp with input eq. Itll make such a vast improvement over a fancy line out converter if used properly
Recommendations?
Old 05-12-2019   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Recommendations?
Budget?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-12-2019   #10

Quote:
Quote:
Recommendations?
Budget?

Would like to be under $200

Smaller ones are preferable.

Currently will be in my glovebox. Have to run another Metra 9 conductor speaker cable to my trunk where the amp is if I want to place it there.

Last edited by kaivorth; 05-12-2019 at 07:04 PM..
Old 05-12-2019   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:

Currently will be in my glovebox. Have to run another Metra 9 conductor speaker cable to my trunk where the amp is if I want to place it there.
To be honest, that's not really possible for under 200

Old 05-12-2019   #12

Quote:
Quote:

To be honest, that's not really possible for under 200

Found a used helix 6-8 for $250. Will this also do bass restoration? That was a big selling point of the audio control.
Old 05-12-2019   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Found a used helix 6-8 for $250. Will this also do bass restoration? That was a big selling point of the audio control.
"Bass restoration" isnt a thing in anything besides audiocontrol products. If I remember correctly, Its not exactly an input equalizer, it just does some tricky (that I dont want to get into) to make it seem like it. Unless that's a different feature that I'm think of.. You want something with input eq. The first gen helix does not have input eq. The dsp.2 and dsp pro are the oldest ones by them with input eq.

Old 05-13-2019   #14

Quote:
Quote:
"Bass restoration" isnt a thing in anything besides audiocontrol products. If I remember correctly, Its not exactly an input equalizer, it just does some tricky (that I dont want to get into) to make it seem like it. Unless that's a different feature that I'm think of.. You want something with input eq. The first gen helix does not have input eq. The dsp.2 and dsp pro are the oldest ones by them with input eq.

Cheapest DSP you'd recommend for car audio?

Thinking about just keeping my LC7i and just dealing with the crappy Bluetooth.

Did find a fix-82 for $250 locally.. Bleh budget creeping up again.

Last edited by kaivorth; 05-13-2019 at 03:19 AM..
Old 05-13-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 171 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:

You are in a similar boat as me, but it sounds like you already have the lc7. My car runs fiber optic so I have use some type of LOC or speakers level at the factory amp. I was going to go audio control, simply because they work for what I need, but down the line I want dsp. I am debating should I just find a dsp that allow speaker level connection or do I get the LC7 and then run that to a dsp.

If you really want the accubass feature, both the DM 608 and the dm 810 dsp from AC have it built in. I was looking at both of them, my local shop just cant tell much about them because they havent installed one yet. The store does Audio Control and JL audio. Most of their installs have been using the JL audio.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroo View Post
Quote:

You are in a similar boat as me, but it sounds like you already have the lc7. My car runs fiber optic so I have use some type of LOC or speakers level at the factory amp. I was going to go audio control, simply because they work for what I need, but down the line I want dsp. I am debating should I just find a dsp that allow speaker level connection or do I get the LC7 and then run that to a dsp.

If you really want the accubass feature, both the DM 608 and the dm 810 dsp from AC have it built in. I was looking at both of them, my local shop just cant tell much about them because they havent installed one yet. The store does Audio Control and JL audio. Most of their installs have been using the JL audio.
Yeah similar boat.

DM 608 also has the AptX Bluetooth add-on that I would love to use too.

Debating on biting the bullet or just leaving my setup as is.

If I have my Amp and DSP or LOC in the trunk, that means I need to run 2 things of 9 conductor speaker wire from my trunk to the dash right?

I have my LC7i in my glovebox at the moment. Wanted to wire everything up with posi taps to make sure everything works first.

But now if I go for a larger LOC or DSP combo, it's going to be too big for glovebox. So I think that means running more cable to the trunk? Is that what everybody does?
Old 05-13-2019   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 955 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't a Civic have noise cancelling mic/speaker output? ANC?

Sorta ruins the fun for audio, no? Ruined it for the Acura ILX I own.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
Doesn't a Civic have noise cancelling mic/speaker output? ANC?

Sorta ruins the fun for audio, no? Ruined it for the Acura ILX I own.
Im pretty sure its only accords, but the new ones might have it. That said, all you do is unplug the ANC module. Done, problem fixed

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
Lanson (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019   #19

Quote:
Quote:

What would you recommend if the budget was $400ish?

Learning more about all this everyday.

Would the JL Fix 88 be more useful for my 18 Civic?

Last edited by kaivorth; 05-14-2019 at 03:47 AM..
Old 05-14-2019   #20

Rep Power: 77 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ml#post5701501

jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmydee For This Useful Post:
jdunk54nl (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydee View Post
Quote:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ml#post5701501
Would you recommend this over the Helix Mini?
Old 05-14-2019   #22

Rep Power: 77 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Depends what you need it to do...
They are both nice units, but 2 different animals.
I'd recommend it over the LC8i.

Here's another good option:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ml#post5701551

jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydee View Post
Quote:
Depends what you need it to do...
They are both nice units, but 2 different animals.
I'd recommend it over the LC8i.

Here's another good option:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...ml#post5701551
I want it to take my speaker level inputs, clean up my Input EQ, Tune the Output EQ, and have a separate input for aux.

I'm a newbie with all of this. Just want clean sound and an aux input.
Old 05-14-2019   #24
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 117 mumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enoughmumbles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I want it to take my speaker level inputs, clean up my Input EQ, Tune the Output EQ, and have a separate input for aux.

Do you already have amplifiers? If so, what brand/model?

All the world's a stage...
mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
Quote:

Do you already have amplifiers? If so, what brand/model?
Alpine PDX-V9
Morel Speakers
GB10D2 Subwoofer to be installed tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement