Installed Amp and Sub removed for winter. Sub doesn't work - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 gieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enough

Default Installed Amp and Sub removed for winter. Sub doesn't work

Last fall before parking my car for winter I removed the Memphis PRX 5.550 5 channel Amp and sub. Disconnected battery, took pictures, and removed them.
Got the car with this setup already installed.
This spring went to just put them back the way they were and the sub didn't work. Looked at the head unit settings and turned sub to on. Still nothing.
Fuses are good. Tried the only spare speaker I have from the garage radio, an old boom box speaker. It barely made any noise.
The sub is a JL 10" , in a JL box, I think. Running at 4 ohms
gieperson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019   #2

Rep Power: 31 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Installed Amp and Sub removed for winter. Sub doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gieperson View Post
Last fall before parking my car for winter I removed the Memphis PRX 5.550 5 channel Amp and sub. Disconnected battery, took pictures, and removed them.

Got the car with this setup already installed.

This spring went to just put them back the way they were and the sub didn't work. Looked at the head unit settings and turned sub to on. Still nothing.

Fuses are good. Tried the only spare speaker I have from the garage radio, an old boom box speaker. It barely made any noise.

The sub is a JL 10" , in a JL box, I think. Running at 4 ohms
Same amp? I've had 2 Memphis amps with problems, 1 4 channel lost a channel (mc 4.75), 1 prx 1500.1 went into a never ending protect cycle. To their credit, they fixed the 4 channel and replaced the 1500.1. I'd hook the sub up to a home system to narrow down your problem a bit.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019   #3

Rep Power: 0 gieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enoughgieperson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
Same amp? I've had 2 Memphis amps with problems, 1 4 channel lost a channel (mc 4.75), 1 prx 1500.1 went into a never ending protect cycle. To their credit, they fixed the 4 channel and replaced the 1500.1. I'd hook the sub up to a home system to narrow down your problem a bit.
yes same amp. all I did was remove then install. how do I hook up the sub to a home system? Meaning, I don't have a home audio system. Just a 4k TV and soundbar with wireless sub. A nice PC and also a really old stereo.

Old 05-13-2019   #4

Rep Power: 31 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
yes same amp. all I did was remove then install. how do I hook up the sub to a home system? Meaning, I don't have a home audio system. Just a 4k TV and soundbar with wireless sub. A nice PC and also a really old stereo.
Got a friend with a car or home system?
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019   #5

Rep Power: 48 Ifixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enough

Try turning the gain knob min/max quickly many times. Maybe the pot developed a poor connection from sitting.

If that doesn't work, hook up a voltmeter to the amp and play a sine wav and make sure you're getting decent voltage from the amp channel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Alpine MRD-M500 - 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 | Rockford Fosgate Prime 300 @ 412 Watts RMS | SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 | Alpine Hiend 28mm tweeters
Ifixtheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifixtheinternet View Post
Try turning the gain knob min/max quickly many times. Maybe the pot developed a poor connection from sitting.

If that doesn't work, hook up a voltmeter to the amp and play a sine wav and make sure you're getting decent voltage from the amp channel.

So measure DC volts. black to negative, and red to the positive sub output terminals? I read that on JL's site.

Last edited by gieperson; 05-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: wrong test
Old 05-14-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So measure DC volts. black to negative, and red to the positive sub output terminals? I read that on JL's site.
You will measure AC volts at the speaker output terminals on the amp. In this case, channel 5 for the sub. You can also measure the impedance of the sub with it disconnected.
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #8

tested the sub, it works.
no voltage at sub out on amp.
are there any settings in the head unit that might be the problem?
they were reset after taking the battery out for winter.
I just don't understand, all I did was take them out, and put them back the way they were.
Old 05-14-2019   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 Mack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enough

Did you take the fuse out of the + 12VDC wire connected to the battery? If so, put it back in, if not you may have popped it.

Do you have a multimeter? Check for +12VDC to the amp power terminal, and make sure you have +12VDC to the remote turn on terminal when the HU is powered on.

If no 12V, check the red to a nice bare bolt/metal. Ground may be bunk/corroded.

RIP '99 Ranger....... RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE->Stock
'14 Focus - AudioControl LC6i, Planet Audio BB1200.4, JBL MS62 comps, Sundown E8V5 for da bass
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Did you take the fuse out of the + 12VDC wire connected to the battery? If so, put it back in, if not you may have popped it.

Do you have a multimeter? Check for +12VDC to the amp power terminal, and make sure you have +12VDC to the remote turn on terminal when the HU is powered on.

If no 12V, check the red to a nice bare bolt/metal. Ground may be bunk/corroded.
Amp is getting power, the other 4 speakers work.
there is a sub signal IIRC that looks like a phone jack. is there a way to see if thats sending a signal to the amp?
Old 05-14-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 129 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

I have never understood taking your sub out for the winter. I've always just ran them.

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Sine Swept For This Useful Post:
Ifixtheinternet (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019   #12

Rep Power: 76 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Sounds to me like your amp isn’t getting signal sent to the sub channel. Take a known working RCA from one of the other known good working channels such as a full range or midbass (preferably) channel nearby and plug that RCA into the sub channel. Play the music again and if the sub plays than you have no sub signal from your HU or possibly bad RCA. If the sub channel still doesn’t play, well than you may have a bad amplifier sub channel or blown amplifier fuse.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #13

Rep Power: 48 Ifixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Swept View Post
I have never understood taking your sub out for the winter. I've always just ran them.
Me neither.

"A season without bass is like a year without sunshine."

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Alpine MRD-M500 - 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 | Rockford Fosgate Prime 300 @ 412 Watts RMS | SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 | Alpine Hiend 28mm tweeters
Ifixtheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #14

Rep Power: 8 XSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Swept View Post
thats super helpful

since you know you have ground and power and rem //
take one set of rca that make sound and move them to the sub ins//
if you get sub then// you need to look at the hu// no sound is amp or sub issue// there should not be a 2nd fuse for the amp just one fuse// and you have power

10 psi boosted Tacoma// skar 6x8// tweeter unhooked skar tweeters //silk dome skar//live nex 5000 //Blaupunkt 1500.4 //skar vd-10 x2 // jbl gtx 500 x2 // 200 amp alt// 2 gauge big 3 //agm 24f // sound deadened
XSVTOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #15

Rep Power: 10 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
there is a sub signal IIRC that looks like a phone jack. is there a way to see if thats sending a signal to the amp?
An RJ13 is typically a remote control for bass boost. If there is something connected you will likely have a controller with a small knob installed somewhere to allow you to increase the bass. It is not a signal input. Do you have a photo you could post?
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbie View Post
An RJ13 is typically a remote control for bass boost. If there is something connected you will likely have a controller with a small knob installed somewhere to allow you to increase the bass. It is not a signal input. Do you have a photo you could post?
Check this. Also, how many sets of RCA cables were plugged into the amp? I'm wondering how the sub channel gets signal? If it's only two sets, you might have bumped the input selector switch that reads, "2Ch | 4Ch | 5Ch"
Old 05-14-2019   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistrate View Post
Check this. Also, how many sets of RCA cables were plugged into the amp? I'm wondering how the sub channel gets signal? If it's only two sets, you might have bumped the input selector switch that reads, "2Ch | 4Ch | 5Ch"
3 sets, front, rear, sub. I really don't think I bumped it last year before removing it. but it was set to 2ch. switching it around didnt help.

Yes, thank you, that plug is for the remote gain.

the amp has 3, 30 amp fuses. and theres a big inline one for the main power, at the battery.

I will try the RCA swap. Thank you everyone for the replies!

I removed them because my car was in danger of being broken into where I stored it.
Old 05-23-2019   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistrate View Post
You will measure AC volts at the speaker output terminals on the amp. In this case, channel 5 for the sub. You can also measure the impedance of the sub with it disconnected.
Why wouldn't any voltage show at any of the outputs? F/R speakers and sub out.

The RCA cables are all fine.
Old 05-23-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 Mack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enoughMack will become famous soon enough

Do you have any friends with a system or a car audio dealer around you? I think you need to try your amp in another car, another amp in yours, ask a car audio place to test it, or ask them to troubleshoot. If you have no output at all, but all voltages are present on the inputs, you likely have a bad amp.

If you have +12VDC, Ground, and Rem all working, but no output, I would say the amp is bad. Nothing else would account for the symptom of power lights, all power signals, but no output on any speaker. The only other thing is if you have a phone or other device you can get a RCA connection to plug into the amp's inputs to bypass the headunit.

RIP '99 Ranger....... RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE->Stock
'14 Focus - AudioControl LC6i, Planet Audio BB1200.4, JBL MS62 comps, Sundown E8V5 for da bass
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2019   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
... The only other thing is if you have a phone or other device you can get a RCA connection to plug into the amp's inputs to bypass the headunit.
This was what I was thinking for your next test. You'll need an RCA to aux (1/8" jack) adaptor to plug into your phone, tablet or laptop.

Someone mentioned turning a dial in case it had corroded over the winter. Do this with the bass knob and the RCA input selector switch. Looking at the amp, I don't see any gain adjustments. Does it have potentiometers (knobs) to assist the input gain?

If this is still not working, post a picture of your setup.

Edit, I found a picture with the gain adjustments under the top cover. Did you open the cover? There's also a subsonic filter that could have been bumped.

Last edited by nyquistrate; 05-25-2019 at 07:35 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement