Look about right for first install? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2019   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 0 jhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enough

Default Look about right for first install?

Well, first install since the late 90's. Just want to see if this equipment "works" with nothing bad I'm missing. Not really looking for either pure SQ or SPL, just a mix.

2019 4Runner with non-premium audio. I already have a Kenwood DDX9904s still new in box (was going to go into Tahoe but I sold it before it could be installed), and 2 JL 12w6v2 in a box with a JL JX1000 amp bought off Craigslist for a deal.

Of course I need the dash kit/double-din mount/various harnesses for the Kenwood. Thinking of Focal IS 690TOY for fronts, Focal IC 165TOY for rears and hatch, JL 300/4v3. Plus some kind of harness to send the amp speakers outs to behind the radio so I can use the factory speaker wires (not quite ready to run new speaker wire). I'd run maybe 4ga to distro block, then same to the amps.

Speakers run about $900 total, amp about $700. Wiring and dash kit maybe $300.

Any glaring issues with this plan? Thanks.
jhall1jax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 949 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Look about right for first install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1jax View Post
Well, first install since the late 90's. Just want to see if this equipment "works" with nothing bad I'm missing. Not really looking for either pure SQ or SPL, just a mix.

2019 4Runner with non-premium audio. I already have a Kenwood DDX9904s still new in box (was going to go into Tahoe but I sold it before it could be installed), and 2 JL 12w6v2 in a box with a JL JX1000 amp bought off Craigslist for a deal.

Of course I need the dash kit/double-din mount/various harnesses for the Kenwood. Thinking of Focal IS 690TOY for fronts, Focal IC 165TOY for rears and hatch, JL 300/4v3. Plus some kind of harness to send the amp speakers outs to behind the radio so I can use the factory speaker wires (not quite ready to run new speaker wire). I'd run maybe 4ga to distro block, then same to the amps.

Speakers run about $900 total, amp about $700. Wiring and dash kit maybe $300.

Any glaring issues with this plan? Thanks.

Probably need to budget for a module to handle integration, like a Maestro RR or something, so your steering wheel stuff works. Check on that.

Even though you're new to this, I'd consider a DSP (or an amp with DSP built-in, which would be the way I'd go in your shoes). The pros outweigh any con except cost, but this is a pay to play hobby. I've been a fan of the Helix V-Eight since it came out, and it would work well here. That takes care of 8 channels of main power, + your sub stage which sounds like is already well-thought out.

Just wanted to point out some products that I've had success with lately... IF they fit (big if, not sure on your specific vehicle), the Audiofrog GS690 woofer with a nice tweeter (like GS10 or similar) would likely sound amazing. I think also you can consider a 3-way setup, if this 2019 model has dash speaker openings. A set of Scan or Vifa mids would do well, or maybe Dayton, etc.

For wiring, 1/0 gauge from a welding supply store is usually a good choice, and saves money. Radaflex or Royal Excelene are my brands of choice, in that order. You can then buy some techflex in whatever color you want, heatshrink, etc. and turn out some good cables. Order up some ferrules in 1/0 and probably 4 gauge, Amazon. Consider a small wire ferrule kit, I recently got one from Amazon that I just love, comes with all manner of small wire ferrules and what so far has been a quality crimp tool for them. No more bare wires in my builds, and I wish I would have adopted that approach sooner. Also for main power control, I always use a circuit breaker right next to the battery, I'd recommend that, maybe the Stinger type. For the main distribution block, Amazon has these combo blocks that are like a clone of the Audison Connect series, and they are really quite good. I bought one half-expecting it to strip out or break apart, but it is way more solid than I was betting on, and I'll be using those again. They are like 30 bucks, power and ground, and come w/ smallish rated fuses for your usual stuff.

Last for now, you had ZERO deadening in your budget. I'd definitely put a few hundred into CLD mat (Knu Kolossus or maybe Nick's Resonix line, just coming out), plus some good foam to decouple the door panels. That will be important.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 0 jhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enoughjhall1jax will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply. I have to admit my knowledge is "frozen" in the mid-late 90's, last time I was into car audio. At the time DSP systems were coming out solely to integrate a stock HU with aftermarket amps. I kind of ignored it since I was going to use aftermarket HU. After doing some checking out due to your reply, I see DSP has more of a role these days, even going beyond active EQ. I did run across the Audio Control amps with DSP while researching amps and wondered what was up with that.

Yep, there are a couple harnesses I have identified to tie in the steering wheel controls/antenna/etc into the Kenwood. Getting that stuff from Crutchfield since they have everything I need in one package from one place.

I've heard good things about AudioFrog on the forums. I'll research them more. Good call on the sound damping. I didn't mention it, but I do have a 36 sq ft box of Dynamat I was planning on using (I know that goes quickly). Haven't heard of decoupling foam. Another thing to look into.
jhall1jax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 949 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1jax View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have to admit my knowledge is "frozen" in the mid-late 90's, last time I was into car audio. At the time DSP systems were coming out solely to integrate a stock HU with aftermarket amps. I kind of ignored it since I was going to use aftermarket HU. After doing some checking out due to your reply, I see DSP has more of a role these days, even going beyond active EQ. I did run across the Audio Control amps with DSP while researching amps and wondered what was up with that.

Yep, there are a couple harnesses I have identified to tie in the steering wheel controls/antenna/etc into the Kenwood. Getting that stuff from Crutchfield since they have everything I need in one package from one place.

I've heard good things about AudioFrog on the forums. I'll research them more. Good call on the sound damping. I didn't mention it, but I do have a 36 sq ft box of Dynamat I was planning on using (I know that goes quickly). Haven't heard of decoupling foam. Another thing to look into.

You're well on your way! I would 100% go with Helix over Audiocontrol, but that's just me and my comfort factor with the software, as well as my confidence in the Helix product. Besides, if you're going to spend big money on a processor/amp, might as well be one with plenty of channels. Your system could potentially end up being world-class here, if you play your cards right. GS690 woofer, a quality mid in the dash, (I like Audible Physics a lot, but also there's Stereo Integrity and Stevens Audio churning out mids on top of the Vifa/Scan stuff in my prior post), small tweets in the pillar or sail panels. The V-Eight is 10 channels of DSP, so running a 3-way front + rear + sub is cake.

If the Dynamat you have is the Xtreme line, then consider it good to use. You want a visco-elastic type not an asphalt type. Pair what you have with a bit more, plus the foam, and that part is handled.

Back to the subject of DSP... really these days, with tech being what it is, I just wouldn't go without one. You can always tip-toe through the settings, learning as you go, setting up TA and active crossovers first and then slowly set to dialing in the perfect house curve. That's the best part as you basically get total control, and the sound quality you can get from that control is what makes the investment in speakers and all your other gear (plus your time) WORTH IT.

Enjoy, its a good time to be an audio fan.

edit: Confirm maybe what depth you have available for those front speakers, as some Toyotas can't take deep speakers. The AF units are not deep, but you just don't want to buy them and not fit them.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement