Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/)
-   General Car Audio Discussion (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/)
-   -   Any advice on a double din Android Auto and Car Play unit? (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/417705-any-advice-double-din-android-auto-car-play-unit.html)

wrybread 05-16-2019 06:11 PM

Any advice on a double din Android Auto and Car Play unit?

I'm considering the following units:

- Sony XAV-AX5000

- JVC KW-M730BT

- JVC KW-M650BT

- Alpine iLX-W650

All can be found under $300 for a little work.

FM reception is important to me, and I've read reviews saying the Sony XAV-AX5000 does well there.

And Android Auto is especially important, though it'd be nice to have Car Play as well.

Other than that, a nice interface (valuing simple elegance over dolphins and goofy transitions), and of course great sound. I'll probably add an external amp, and looking for advice there too, but might not be adding one right away.

Any other units I should consider?

And any feedback on the above?

Thanks for any tips.

jdunk54nl 05-16-2019 07:27 PM

Re: Any advice on a double din Android Auto and Car Play unit?

I have always liked the Alpine HU's. I am actually planning on putting that alpine HU in my wife's car when her OEM finally dies and she lets me....it keeps having issues but it doesn't bother her as much as it does me....

But I have also owned some of the nicer JVC stuff.
I had a JVC Arsenal KD-A925BT in my 2002 pontiac and had a JVC KD-SH99 in my first car. Both were near flawless. The KD-SH99 just had the motorized faceplate motor starting to wear out so it was really slow and needed a little encouragement from time to time.

wrybread 05-18-2019 09:16 AM

I've been using Alpine stuff for probably 20 years and love it, but I think this touchscreen era is a new one. No one has any first hand experience with any of these head units?

disconnected 05-21-2019 12:44 PM

I run an Alpine ILX-207. I love everything about it. 4v pre-out, Apple Car Play and Android Auto, the software is easy to use, and doesn't look like its from the 80s, looking at you Pioneer, and the SQ is the highest of all double dins.

Adrock 05-21-2019 07:24 PM

For $100 more I picked up a Kenwood Excelon 8905s. 5v unclipped preouts. Everything you want and more. Worth every penny. Spend a little bit more. It's very worth it.

Nakamichifan 05-21-2019 10:53 PM

I say go with the Alpine ilx-650. Not because that is what will be installed in my car in 2 weeks. Chose it for its simple user friendly interface. Capacitive touch screen, Apple car play, Android auto and 2 camera inputs. Did I mention the crossover, 9band parametric EQ and Time alignment. All for $300 and change. 😁

Noloft 05-22-2019 09:25 PM

Take a serious look at the JVC units. I have a JVC kw-v830bt and it does everything that I need it to, Voice commands, Nav and a few apps when hooked up with usb cable, it has the ability to run active (2 way plus sub) time alignment, 13 band e.q., some light but helpful d.s.p., it's not a Helix but not bad for built in, Bluetooth, Sirius/xm, 24bit dac, plays wav files on a thumb drive, plays dvds , will integrate with factory controls with an adaptor. Will do a rear camera. The bluetooth works perfect but can get a little buggy when hooked up with a usb cable (It may be my older phone).
Hope that helps,
Todd

cutienoua 05-25-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nakamichifan (Post 5704185)
I say go with the Alpine ilx-650. Not because that is what will be installed in my car in 2 weeks. Chose it for its simple user friendly interface. Capacitive touch screen, Apple car play, Android auto and 2 camera inputs. Did I mention the crossover, 9band parametric EQ and Time alignment. All for $300 and change. 😁

I have the ilx-w650.
when I connect the xs max via usb no issues.
when I connect the iphone 7 EVERY once in a while the screen goes blank/dark for a few seconds.
the music still plays but it is weird. maybe the 7 cannot keep the refresh rate, I don't know.
I was using ilx-107 for 2 years when it developed an "auto muting" .
very annoying and cannot repair because is an random issue.
so yeah, alpine interface is nice but I think their quality is not what I am used to.

dumdum 05-26-2019 01:53 AM

Pioneer for me all the way, just like the simple user interface over all those listed, and there are three models you get over there with wireless car play that Iíd love but they donít have rds and dab 😒