Any advice on a double din Android Auto and Car Play unit? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 wrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enough

Default Any advice on a double din Android Auto and Car Play unit?

I'm considering the following units:

- Sony XAV-AX5000

- JVC KW-M730BT

- JVC KW-M650BT

- Alpine iLX-W650

All can be found under $300 for a little work.

FM reception is important to me, and I've read reviews saying the Sony XAV-AX5000 does well there.

And Android Auto is especially important, though it'd be nice to have Car Play as well.

Other than that, a nice interface (valuing simple elegance over dolphins and goofy transitions), and of course great sound. I'll probably add an external amp, and looking for advice there too, but might not be adding one right away.

Any other units I should consider?

And any feedback on the above?

Thanks for any tips.
wrybread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 55 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Any advice on a double din Android Auto and Car Play unit?

I have always liked the Alpine HU's. I am actually planning on putting that alpine HU in my wife's car when her OEM finally dies and she lets me....it keeps having issues but it doesn't bother her as much as it does me....

But I have also owned some of the nicer JVC stuff.
I had a JVC Arsenal KD-A925BT in my 2002 pontiac and had a JVC KD-SH99 in my first car. Both were near flawless. The KD-SH99 just had the motorized faceplate motor starting to wear out so it was really slow and needed a little encouragement from time to time.

2014 F150 Limited
Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs, Alpine PDX-V9, Active Tweeters: SI M25, Mids: SI TM65 mk3, Sub: JL TW3, Rears: SB17's, Helix DSP.2, Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV
jdunk54nl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 0 wrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enoughwrybread will become famous soon enough

I've been using Alpine stuff for probably 20 years and love it, but I think this touchscreen era is a new one. No one has any first hand experience with any of these head units?
wrybread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Rep Power: 30 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

I run an Alpine ILX-207. I love everything about it. 4v pre-out, Apple Car Play and Android Auto, the software is easy to use, and doesn't look like its from the 80s, looking at you Pioneer, and the SQ is the highest of all double dins.

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Rep Power: 7 Adrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enough

For $100 more I picked up a Kenwood Excelon 8905s. 5v unclipped preouts. Everything you want and more. Worth every penny. Spend a little bit more. It's very worth it.
Adrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Rep Power: 0 Nakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enoughNakamichifan will become famous soon enough

I say go with the Alpine ilx-650. Not because that is what will be installed in my car in 2 weeks. Chose it for its simple user friendly interface. Capacitive touch screen, Apple car play, Android auto and 2 camera inputs. Did I mention the crossover, 9band parametric EQ and Time alignment. All for $300 and change. 😁
Nakamichifan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Noloft will become famous soon enoughNoloft will become famous soon enoughNoloft will become famous soon enoughNoloft will become famous soon enoughNoloft will become famous soon enoughNoloft will become famous soon enough

Take a serious look at the JVC units. I have a JVC kw-v830bt and it does everything that I need it to, Voice commands, Nav and a few apps when hooked up with usb cable, it has the ability to run active (2 way plus sub) time alignment, 13 band e.q., some light but helpful d.s.p., it's not a Helix but not bad for built in, Bluetooth, Sirius/xm, 24bit dac, plays wav files on a thumb drive, plays dvds , will integrate with factory controls with an adaptor. Will do a rear camera. The bluetooth works perfect but can get a little buggy when hooked up with a usb cable (It may be my older phone).
Hope that helps,
Todd

F250,JVC KW-V830BT,Hertz Mlk165,Audison Lrx4.1k,Stereo Integrity BM MKIII,lots o' wire,great install.
Noloft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Rep Power: 14 cutienoua will become famous soon enoughcutienoua will become famous soon enoughcutienoua will become famous soon enoughcutienoua will become famous soon enoughcutienoua will become famous soon enoughcutienoua will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakamichifan View Post
I say go with the Alpine ilx-650. Not because that is what will be installed in my car in 2 weeks. Chose it for its simple user friendly interface. Capacitive touch screen, Apple car play, Android auto and 2 camera inputs. Did I mention the crossover, 9band parametric EQ and Time alignment. All for $300 and change. 😁
I have the ilx-w650.
when I connect the xs max via usb no issues.
when I connect the iphone 7 EVERY once in a while the screen goes blank/dark for a few seconds.
the music still plays but it is weird. maybe the 7 cannot keep the refresh rate, I don't know.
I was using ilx-107 for 2 years when it developed an "auto muting" .
very annoying and cannot repair because is an random issue.
so yeah, alpine interface is nice but I think their quality is not what I am used to.
cutienoua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 154 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Pioneer for me all the way, just like the simple user interface over all those listed, and there are three models you get over there with wireless car play that I’d love but they don’t have rds and dab 😒
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement