Which Specific spray Adhesive to attach Carpet to Plywood? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019   #1

Rep Power: 16 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

** I tried purchasing 3m Super 90 on Amazon and they can’t ship it to California due to some hippie bullshit. So, I’d like to buy from one of the big box stores (HD, Lowe’s, ACE).

I’m attaching this trunk liner carpet to plywood for my IB wall:
https://www.miamicorp.com/Default.as...04&parent=2768

I’ve been watching Custom Audio Fabrication (CAF) on YouTube, and the host Mark uses 3M Super 90 specifically when attaching carpet to MDF.

I know that others on here use DAP Weldwood spray adhesive but I’ve noticed that there are different types.

My local ACE hardware has two available:

$9.99 - Multi Purpose DAP Weldwood High Strength Rubber Contact Cement Spray Adhesive 16 oz.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-epoxy/1790054

Or

$17.99 - Original DAP Weldwood High Strength Rubber Contact Cement Spray Adhesive 16 oz.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-epoxy/1790062

Home Depot has:

$11.97 - 3m super 90
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-...0-24/100151277

What do you guys recommend? Also, does it really matter, or will any spray adhesive work?

DDX9905s HU| MiniDSP| JL XD Amps | GS10/GS40/GS690| AE SBP15
JL ZR800ís on the way!

Last edited by Chris12; 05-17-2019 at 11:45 AM..
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,646 Times in 1,146 Posts
Rep Power: 449 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Which Specific spray Adhesive to attach Carpet to Plywood?

you want DAP landau top adhesive. they also wont ship that to cali

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure landau is necessary for carpet. I wouldn't use anything but DAP landau if you're stretching vinyl, but for light weight carpet I'm sure the 3M will do just fine.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (05-17-2019)

Old 05-17-2019   #4

Rep Power: 40 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Super 77 or 90 both work fine for carpet the few times I've used them. Let it dry for a few before sticking them together. Gotta love Cali man.
Mahapederdon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mahapederdon For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019   #5

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 87 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

I have used 3M's and Loctite's sprays with no issues at all... I don't have the patience for the non-spray versions.

LOL @ "some hippie bullshit"!!! Seriously though, Cali is fucking retarded.

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
"Just slap some drywall screws in it, and you'll be fine"
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidRam For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 449 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
I have used 3M's and Loctite's sprays with no issues at all... I don't have the patience for the non-spray versions.

LOL @ "some hippie bullshit"!!! Seriously though, Cali is fucking retarded.
i have used both 3m and the loctite stuff when i first started. I highly recommend NOT using the loctite. It gets nasty after a while in the heat

DavidRam (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 955 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, try to befriend a local upholstery supply shop in your area. They should have aerosol contact adhesive that works.

edit:

This is the product I use for any carpet; this is what is at the local upholstery shop for about $10 a can
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...BkU4FBDzAgiqBA

It is extremely strong on neoprene foam as well, to the point where it will tear the foam before letting go of a panel. Carpet has to be yanked forcefully to remove, after using this stuff.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2

Last edited by Lanson; 05-17-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanson For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 94 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
you want DAP landau top adhesive. they also wont ship that to cali
i thought you could get it here again?

nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to nadams5755 For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
Idk, I dont pay attention to what's allowed or not in cali lol

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Chris12 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 148 AVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enoughAVIDEDTR will become famous soon enough

Bull semen works!

2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition - OEM Radio - Arc Audio PS8-50 & X2 1100.1 - Arc Audio RS 1.0 3.0 6.0 - AudioFrog GB10D2x2
2013 Dodge Avenger - Clarion NX706 - Arc Audio PS8PRO - TruTechnology Tungsten - Audio Frog GB10 GB40 GB60 GB10D2
AVIDEDTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019   #11

Rep Power: 16 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the responses.

So, in summary, it looks like I can take my pick from: DAP Landau Top Adhesive, 3m super 77 (or 90) and Sprayaway Sw092.

Iím surprised no one recommended Weldwood spray adhesive. I mustíve gotten it confused with the superior DAP Landau Top Adhesive.

By the way, I can buy just about any of these products at my local stores, but for some reason thereís sometimes a problem with shipping them to California. Iím not sure exactly why.

Thanks again!

DDX9905s HU| MiniDSP| JL XD Amps | GS10/GS40/GS690| AE SBP15
JL ZR800ís on the way!
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 369 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

The landau is not a spray adhesive. It's great stuff for vinyl and projects that need to hold strong even in extreme temps, but it's overkill for a little carpet. Any of those spray adhesives should work, I've used Super 90, and the loctite stuff mentioned earlier, and both were comparable.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019   #13

Rep Power: 40 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
Idk, I dont pay attention to what's allowed or not in cali lol

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
I usually assume if it worked really good 10yrs ago its regulated in CA. Freaking card board straws and expensive plasic bags. Haha. I'm waiting for the oxygen tax.
Old 05-17-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 955 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

trust me, the Sprayway stuff is amazing for carpet. You will use HHR Landau roof Weldwood for vinyl, but carpet (and CCF foams) will work great w/ the spiderweb glue that the Sprayway can gives you.

edit:

The last few cans I bought, they had rotating nozzles to direct a vertical or horizontal pattern, which is handy. I spray the carpet and the panel, wait ~5-7 min or so (in Vegas desert conditions, so YMMV), and then stretch as I affix the carpet. There is no do-over time, when it sticks, it is stuck.

As good as this product is, it certainly is no HHR Weldwood. So keep it for carpet, foam, etc only.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's

Last edited by Lanson; 05-17-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Old 05-17-2019   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon View Post
I usually assume if it worked really good 10yrs ago its regulated in CA. Freaking card board straws and expensive plasic bags. Haha. I'm waiting for the oxygen tax.

I'm waiting for all of Cali to break off in the Ocean like Tool's song said it would.

Old 05-17-2019   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon View Post

I'm waiting for all of Cali to break off in the Ocean like Tool's song said it would.
Arizona bay. I hope not. Besides the politics and taxes I kinda like it here.
Old 05-17-2019   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

I just looked and the amazon website mentioned it can ship the 3m Super 77 and 90 to me. Some will arrive the next day (Monday) since the warehouse is probably nearby. For warehouse/items further away... they did indicate it will take an extended time (probably means by ground and not air shipment). But I would just go to any nearby homedepot, autozone or ace and can have it in half an hour lol.

diy.phil
diy.phil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019   #18

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 80 High Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enoughHigh Resolution Audio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
I just looked and the amazon website mentioned it can ship the 3m Super 77 and 90 to me. Some will arrive the next day (Monday) since the warehouse is probably nearby. For warehouse/items further away... they did indicate it will take an extended time (probably means by ground and not air shipment). But I would just go to any nearby homedepot, autozone or ace and can have it in half an hour lol.
In my experience 77 holds better than 90.

High Resolution Audio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 66 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
$17.99 - Original DAP Weldwood High Strength Rubber Contact Cement Spray Adhesive 16 oz.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-epoxy/1790062
^^^ This is the product I used for that exact application. It is available at HomeDepot where I live. Been a year since and so far so good.

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Truthunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Truthunter For This Useful Post:
Chris12 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-23-2019   #20

Rep Power: 47 nutt7 will become famous soon enoughnutt7 will become famous soon enoughnutt7 will become famous soon enoughnutt7 will become famous soon enoughnutt7 will become famous soon enoughnutt7 will become famous soon enough

I use the standard weldwood paint-on type. Works really well when you go by the directions. No staples needed in my center console box. Super toxic while curing though.
nutt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019   #21

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 53 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIDEDTR View Post
Bull semen works!
At 200k a gallon it better
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement