2-way Front stage, active, 2 amps questions - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Day Ago   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 thisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enough

Default 2-way Front stage, active, 2 amps questions

I have 2 JL Audio RD400/4 that is going into my truck. The plan is to bridge each amp. What is the appropriate way to connect the front stage? Driver's side to one amp and passenger side to the other? Or tweeters to one amp and mids to the other? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

'07 FJ Cruiser, Pioneer AVH-5800BHS, Seas Lotus Reference RT27F, 8" Seas Excel w22ex001 midwoofer, 1 JL Audio 13w7, knuconceptz cables
thisgsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 kanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2-way Front stage, active, 2 amps questions

Tweeters to one and mids to the other... but that is a lot of power for a set of tweeters. You could get away with bridging one to the mids, and using the other as a 4 channel with two channels for the tweeter, leaving you with two extra channels for whatever.

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Sport: Soundstream Ref 5.1000 (Front High +sub) - Soundstream RN4.1400D(Rear and MB) - DSP 408 - Audio Control DQXS - JL 12TW3 - Image dynamics XS28 + X69, Scanspeak 10f, CTX65 (rear).
kanadian-kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Day Ago   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,089 Posts
Rep Power: 440 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

doesnt matter, but i would do drivers side on one, and passanger side on the other. reason being is to 1) not put most of the draw to one amp (midbass will pull much more current) causing one to heat up a lot more than the other, and 2) better left/right separation in theory.

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Day Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

Honestly, that's a lot of power for even mids even though many do it including me. Mainly I didn't want the extra channels of a 4 & 5 channel amps going to waste on a 3-way + sub. Basically, that's enough power to run a 3-way+sub if chosen right. Above sub frequencies we don't use as much power as you think for common listening levels.

That's enough rambling...

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Day Ago   #5

Rep Power: 27 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgsx View Post
I have 2 JL Audio RD400/4 that is going into my truck. The plan is to bridge each amp. What is the appropriate way to connect the front stage? Driver's side to one amp and passenger side to the other? Or tweeters to one amp and mids to the other? Thanks in advance!

It doesn't really matter, whatever you want. I have one bridged on mids and one running two channels only on tweets, leaving two channels free. One of these bridged on tweets seems like overkill, and maybe too much.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Day Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 thisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enoughthisgsx will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys!

'07 FJ Cruiser, Pioneer AVH-5800BHS, Seas Lotus Reference RT27F, 8" Seas Excel w22ex001 midwoofer, 1 JL Audio 13w7, knuconceptz cables
thisgsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Day Ago   #7

Rep Power: 36 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

I would do 1 amp for mids and 1 amp for tweets unbridged on the tweet side. My reasoning is you'll be able to keep the gain allot lower on the tweets and you'll have less noise. For me my tweeters have a tiny hiss when my volume is at 0. I only hear it if I get close to the tweeters but if my gain was where my midbass gain is it would probably be worse.
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18 Hours Ago   #8

Rep Power: 39 JH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enough

With all of that power and 8 channels I'd find a way to make it a 3-way front.Bridge the midbass channels and run the mid-range and tweets off the other 4.

"Rumors of Bob but never Bob.........So what is it you tell people you do these days Bob?"
JH1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13 Hours Ago   #9

Rep Power: 27 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1973 View Post
With all of that power and 8 channels I'd find a way to make it a 3-way front.Bridge the midbass channels and run the mid-range and tweets off the other 4.
In my case, that is the final goal. One amp bridged on midbass, the other amp for tweets and mids. Some of us just take one step at a time, as opposed to putting the whole system together at once.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement