Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/)
-   General Car Audio Discussion (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/)
-   -   Questions about Hatchback Ported Sub for SQ and Low End (ish) (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/417741-questions-about-hatchback-ported-sub-sq-low-end-ish.html)

Fish-N-Chips 05-17-2019 09:10 PM

Questions about Hatchback Ported Sub for SQ and Low End (ish)

1 Attachment(s)
  • ID10 D2 V4, currently in a .7 sealed box.
  • 350W available
  • In a Subaru Crosstrek

This summer I will be getting access to a woodshop @ my college and I would like a project. The sub sounds great, but really rolls off at 38 ish. Cabin gain takes effect from 42-50ish (taken care of w/ EQ). I would like to try to maintain as much SQ as possible while getting extension at or bellow 30hz. Loudness does not matter as much, although I would not like to loose any. The Image dynamics spec sheet recommends 1.37 cuft box tuned to 30 14" long 3" port or a 1.14cuft tuned to 32 15" long 3" port.

My questions are:
1) Do those dimensions sound reasonable?
2) What can I do to maintain SQ?
3) Currently, cone toward hatch sounds best. What orientation for the port would likely sound the best?

Obviously I don't know a ton, so I much appreciate your contribution to my learning.

miniSQ 05-18-2019 03:22 AM

Re: Questions about Hatchback Ported Sub for SQ and Low End (ish)

ID subs sound GREAT ported. You are on the right track. You will not lose a bit of SQ going ported.

I did a pair of ID8's ported and faced them up in a hyundai elantra hatchback and that sounded great.

But i also did a ported GB10 in my 2018 crosstrek and faced it back toward the hatch for best sound.

Box sizes sounds great...maybe start with the larger box and see what you think.

Fish-N-Chips 05-18-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniSQ (Post 5702951)
ID subs sound GREAT ported. You are on the right track. You will not lose a bit of SQ going ported.

I did a pair of ID8's ported and faced them up in a hyundai elantra hatchback and that sounded great.

But i also did a ported GB10 in my 2018 crosstrek and faced it back toward the hatch for best sound.

Box sizes sounds great...maybe start with the larger box and see what you think.

Thanks for the reply Mini.

That's really good to hear that ID's sounds good ported.

When you say "faced back" or "up" do you mean the cone and port were in the same orientation or different?

miniSQ 05-18-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish-N-Chips (Post 5702989)
Thanks for the reply Mini.

That's really good to hear that ID's sounds good ported.

When you say "faced back" or "up" do you mean the cone and port were in the same orientation or different?

i always put my port on the same baffle as my subs when possible.

I meant in the hyundai with the ID8 everything was facing up and it sounded really nice. Gave that upfront bass feel.

With my crosstrek and the 10" GB10 i had everything facing back toward the hatch door. Great sound, but maybe not quite as much upfront bass feeel.

But that was a different car, sub and amp so its hard to say that the up facing would give you a better sound. It just did for me.

kanadian-kaos 05-18-2019 10:15 AM

If you want low, go with a larger ported enclosure (1.75ft3) tuned to around 28hz. Compare it in WinISD. Port on same baffle as speaker.

If the box is going to be a loose rectangle (not built to conform to the car), then just experiment with up or back. I went with up in my last hatchback because I used the spare tire well, but I recall getting more bass facing them backwards.