Questions about Hatchback Ported Sub for SQ and Low End (ish) - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019   #1

Rep Power: 16 Fish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enough

Default Questions about Hatchback Ported Sub for SQ and Low End (ish)

• ID10 D2 V4, currently in a .7 sealed box.
  • 350W available
  • In a Subaru Crosstrek

This summer I will be getting access to a woodshop @ my college and I would like a project. The sub sounds great, but really rolls off at 38 ish. Cabin gain takes effect from 42-50ish (taken care of w/ EQ). I would like to try to maintain as much SQ as possible while getting extension at or bellow 30hz. Loudness does not matter as much, although I would not like to loose any. The Image dynamics spec sheet recommends 1.37 cuft box tuned to 30 14" long 3" port or a 1.14cuft tuned to 32 15" long 3" port.

My questions are:
1) Do those dimensions sound reasonable?
2) What can I do to maintain SQ?
3) Currently, cone toward hatch sounds best. What orientation for the port would likely sound the best?

Obviously I don't know a ton, so I much appreciate your contribution to my learning.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (33.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Fish-N-Chips; 05-18-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Fish-N-Chips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Questions about Hatchback Ported Sub for SQ and Low End (ish)

ID subs sound GREAT ported. You are on the right track. You will not lose a bit of SQ going ported.

I did a pair of ID8's ported and faced them up in a hyundai elantra hatchback and that sounded great.

But i also did a ported GB10 in my 2018 crosstrek and faced it back toward the hatch for best sound.

Box sizes sounds great...maybe start with the larger box and see what you think.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019   #3

Rep Power: 16 Fish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enoughFish-N-Chips will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
ID subs sound GREAT ported. You are on the right track. You will not lose a bit of SQ going ported.

I did a pair of ID8's ported and faced them up in a hyundai elantra hatchback and that sounded great.

But i also did a ported GB10 in my 2018 crosstrek and faced it back toward the hatch for best sound.

Box sizes sounds great...maybe start with the larger box and see what you think.
Thanks for the reply Mini.

That's really good to hear that ID's sounds good ported.

When you say "faced back" or "up" do you mean the cone and port were in the same orientation or different?
Fish-N-Chips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-N-Chips View Post
Thanks for the reply Mini.

That's really good to hear that ID's sounds good ported.

When you say "faced back" or "up" do you mean the cone and port were in the same orientation or different?
i always put my port on the same baffle as my subs when possible.

I meant in the hyundai with the ID8 everything was facing up and it sounded really nice. Gave that upfront bass feel.

With my crosstrek and the 10" GB10 i had everything facing back toward the hatch door. Great sound, but maybe not quite as much upfront bass feeel.

But that was a different car, sub and amp so its hard to say that the up facing would give you a better sound. It just did for me.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 113 kanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enoughkanadian-kaos will become famous soon enough

If you want low, go with a larger ported enclosure (1.75ft3) tuned to around 28hz. Compare it in WinISD. Port on same baffle as speaker.

If the box is going to be a loose rectangle (not built to conform to the car), then just experiment with up or back. I went with up in my last hatchback because I used the spare tire well, but I recall getting more bass facing them backwards.

2016 Ford F150 Supercrew Sport: Soundstream Ref 5.1000 (Front High +sub) - Soundstream RN4.1400D(Rear and MB) - DSP 408 - Audio Control DQXS - JL 12TW3 - Image dynamics XS28 + X69, Scanspeak 10f, CTX65 (rear).
kanadian-kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement