Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/)
-   General Car Audio Discussion (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/)
-   -   Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer) (https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/417777-looking-support-smaller-companies-need-subwoofer.html)

Barbecue 05-19-2019 03:48 PM

Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
I haven't been into car audio in many years and am looking to buy a new subwoofer. Back then I only bought household name brands like Zapco, JL, Phoenix Gold, Focal, etc. Can anyone suggest a smaller company that makes a decent product?

I prefer any single sub between 8-12 inch, sealed box smaller than 2 cubic feet. Pricing isn't much of a concern. Just want good SQ and overall quality.

Will be powered by a Pioneer GM-9701. 500w @ 4 ohm , 800w [email protected] 2, or 1200w @ 1 ohm.

I'm leaning toward an Audiofrog GB10 or GB12 but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

TomT 05-19-2019 04:28 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Audiofrog, Stevens Audio, and Audio Development are all small companies that make great subs.

Edit: I take it back, I canít find any subs on the Stevens Audio site. For some reason I thought there were some.

audiobaun 05-19-2019 05:07 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Dayton Audio has been around for a while and still are for a decent budgeted sub woofer and still carry a 5 year warranty of which is hard to find these days beyond a 1 year warranty.I have a pair of Dayton HO DVC4 ohm that I may unload soon that were played for approx. 2 months and placed back in original boxing.Went to an SPL set up only reason put back up. But they need a min of 1.0 sealed. Id check those out for the $

OCD66 05-19-2019 05:13 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Audiomobile

miniSQ 05-19-2019 06:33 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Stereo Integrity RM-12. Great sub, small box and small company.

miniSQ 05-19-2019 06:33 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobaun (Post 5703323)
Dayton Audio has been around for a while and still are for a decent budgeted sub woofer and still carry a 5 year warranty of which is hard to find these days beyond a 1 year warranty.I have a pair of Dayton HO DVC4 ohm that I may unload soon that were played for approx. 2 months and placed back in original boxing.Went to an SPL set up only reason put back up. But they need a min of 1.0 sealed. Id check those out for the $

and a HUGE company.;)

pw91686 05-19-2019 06:48 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Adire Audio brahma 12 dual 2

https://www.adireaudio.com/

JCsAudio 05-19-2019 07:20 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Sound Solutions Audio and they are on sale too. Double bonus is they are made in the USA.

Patriot83 05-19-2019 08:12 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
How do the SSA subs perform?

dcfis 05-19-2019 08:44 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
acoustic elegance

DavidRam 05-19-2019 08:57 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Adire Audio

Also handmade in the USA.

Barbecue 05-20-2019 12:07 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even know some of these companies existed.

I think I'm gonna pick up a B stock Brahma 12.

pw91686 05-20-2019 12:10 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbecue (Post 5703407)
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even know some of these companies existed.

I think I'm gonna pick up a B stock Brahma 12.

Nice choice! I bought 3 of them.

miniSQ 05-20-2019 04:44 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbecue (Post 5703407)
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even know some of these companies existed.

I think I'm gonna pick up a B stock Brahma 12.

Based on the amp you have and your desire for SQ, i think the Audiofrog GB10 ( or 12 ) would be a much better choice.

pw91686 05-20-2019 05:58 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miniSQ (Post 5703421)
Based on the amp you have and your desire for SQ, i think the Audiofrog GB10 ( or 12 ) would be a much better choice.

Haha! As if an xbl^2 driver wasn't built for sound quality.

I've owned the adire koda 10 and the audiofrog gb10. In my personal opinion, I thought the koda was a better sounding driver as far as pure sound quality is concerned.

And he has 1200 watts at 1 ohm. I have 5-600 watts on my gb10 sealed and it pushes it to its limit.

miniSQ 05-20-2019 06:28 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pw91686 (Post 5703433)
Haha! As if an xbl^2 driver wasn't built for sound quality.

I've owned the adire koda 10 and the audiofrog gb10. In my personal opinion, I thought the koda was a better sounding driver as far as pure sound quality is concerned.

And he has 1200 watts at 1 ohm. I have 5-600 watts on my gb10 sealed and it pushes it to its limit.

I've had XBL subs and trust me the GB12 sounds way better. Plus its probably not ideal to run entry level class D amps at 1ohm if SQ is what you are going for. I suggested the GB10 based it running at 2 or 4 ohms on the Pioneer amp and it would have more than enough output for a SQ set up.

Hillbilly SQ 05-20-2019 06:53 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
If I were to buy a sub right now price no object it would either be a GB12 or Audiomobile evo12.

Lanson 05-20-2019 07:14 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
AF GB12 or Stereo Integrity RM12. Acoustic Elegance do make amazing subs, but they don't have an updated version of the AV series which did so well in a car. For the box size you've specified, the GB12 or RM12 would be just wonderful.

Barbecue 05-30-2019 12:03 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Last week Crutchfield finally had a single GB12D4 in stock and my impatience (free next day delivery) got the best of me so I bought it.

I put it in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box and I was giggling like a little kid upon first listen. Thought I'd have to add a small wood block to decrease the airspace a little, but I'm 110% happy with the way it sounds.

I love the sub so much I might buy another or an RM-12 for my beater car.

Thanks very much!

JCsAudio 05-30-2019 04:15 AM

Wait till you try it in a low tuned ported box. It’s an awesome subwoofer and I love mine too.

Hillbilly SQ 06-02-2019 08:47 AM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
I like the GB12 and RM12 for different reasons. For all out fun the RM12 digs DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. Baby got back;)

SR500 06-02-2019 01:04 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
I always wanted an Audiomobile EVO back in the day, but the owner was a real piece of work on forums and he swayed me to not buy from them. If i recall, he got a job with Eclipse and Audiomobile closed their doors and everyone who needed repairs/replacements for their products were left SOL, I think I recall people who had sent subs in for repair were left with no product or communication from the company. Not exactly a company with practices I would want to support, considering it looks like the same guy is still involved.

miniSQ 06-02-2019 02:45 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR500 (Post 5708027)
I always wanted an Audiomobile EVO back in the day, but the owner was a real piece of work on forums and he swayed me to not buy from them. If i recall, he got a job with Eclipse and Audiomobile closed their doors and everyone who needed repairs/replacements for their products were left SOL, I think I recall people who had sent subs in for repair were left with no product or communication from the company. Not exactly a company with practices I would want to support, considering it looks like the same guy is still involved.

care to share an actual example or are you just here to crap on a decent company? What "guy" are you referring too?

SR500 06-02-2019 04:09 PM

Re: Looking to support smaller companies (need a subwoofer)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miniSQ (Post 5708033)
care to share an actual example or are you just here to crap on a decent company? What "guy" are you referring too?


Matt Overpeck, he used to go by "Mover" on a few forums back about 15 years ago. For an actual example, it's a fact that they closed their doors a long time ago. I remember people on Elitecaraudio and Caraudioforum that were left with no communication from them when they closed and i remember he went to Eclipse. I took a long break from car audio and was surprised to see their name again, considering that they were pretty much universally hated among all the forums back about 15 years ago.

A quick google search pulls up a thread from this forum, which confirms what i said:

"For those that don't know, the Audiomobile of ~10 years ago suddenly and unexpectedly turned off the lights without notice while Matt Overpeck (who was the CEO of the company at the time) jumped ship for a job at Eclipse and abandoned Audiomobile. While this happened, many people who had paid for new woofers or had sent their woofers in for warranty were left in the dust with no product and no explanation."

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...diomobile.html

so there is your "decent company"


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Ad Management by RedTyger