Strapping Zapco ST-X Mono amps - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019   #1

Rep Power: 10 Zardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enough

Default Strapping Zapco ST-X Mono amps

My plan is to run two of the Zapco, ST-1000XM II amps strapped on a single subwoofer. I currently have one of the ST-1000XM II amps now and am looking to pick up the second amp. In doing so, I found the ST-1350XM II amps for the same price. Is it possible to strap two dissimilar Mono amps? I remember back in the day it had to be identical amps, but now is it the same? Or could I use one ST-1000 and one ST-1350 together strapped at a single 4 ohm load?
Zardnok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 metanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Strapping Zapco ST-X Mono amps

I don't believe this is a capability of the Zapco's you mentioned. I know it's been a feature of some specific amps (like the old school Rockford Power 50M's) and several of the newer SPL-oriented amps, but in each case I believe using matching amps was a prerequisite.

Amps that do have this capability, usually have a "Master" / "Slave" switch

í14 Tundra: Pioneer AVH2300NEX - Helix Mini - RF 2-Punch 200x2 & 1-Punch 240x4 Trans.ana - AudioFrog GB15, GB60 & GB12D2
metanium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanium View Post
I don't believe this is a capability of the Zapco's you mentioned. I know it's been a feature of some specific amps (like the old school Rockford Power 50M's) and several of the newer SPL-oriented amps, but in each case I believe using matching amps was a prerequisite.

Amps that do have this capability, usually have a "Master" / "Slave" switch
This is definitely a capability of these amps (see pages 26 & 27 here), however, my understanding is it requires identical amps. If you look at how you wire it the amps are wired in series requiring both of them to be able to handle the higher strapped voltage. I would be concerned about putting a larger amp strapped along with a smaller one.

Josh
fischman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 metanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enoughmetanium will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischman View Post
This is definitely a capability of these amps (see pages 26 & 27 here), however, my understanding is it requires identical amps. If you look at how you wire it the amps are wired in series requiring both of them to be able to handle the higher strapped voltage. I would be concerned about putting a larger amp strapped along with a smaller one.

Josh
Cool! Honestly didn't think the Zapcos had this feature, but have only used the multi-channels ones personally.

í14 Tundra: Pioneer AVH2300NEX - Helix Mini - RF 2-Punch 200x2 & 1-Punch 240x4 Trans.ana - AudioFrog GB15, GB60 & GB12D2
metanium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019   #5

Rep Power: 10 Zardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enoughZardnok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischman View Post

Josh
Pretty much what I figured. I did not know if somehow rail voltages would be the same allowing it to work, so figured I would at least ask. Maybe I can return the 1000 I have for a 1350.
Old 05-20-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 159 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Yes you can strap them, But theyíd have to in theory be matched

Iíd also add I wouldnít run them strapped for daily, as nice as it is that you get extra power the strapping mechanism on every one Iíve ever strapped has been inefficient and you tended to lose approx 20% of the power from one amp, so 10% effectively over the pair (basing this on master slave setups in the days of my atomic 5000.1 for spl, and also various split dynamics efforts, mainly Korean in origin... so zapco maybe better, although the cheaper ranges may be made in the Far East also 👍&#127996

If given the choice and your sub supports it (if itís dual 4 itís not gonna happen, but if itís dual one or a pair of dual 2ís your golden for one amp per sub or a coil to each amp if a dual 1 ohm)
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Yes you can strap them, But theyíd have to in theory be matched

Iíd also add I wouldnít run them strapped for daily, as nice as it is that you get extra power the strapping mechanism on every one Iíve ever strapped has been inefficient and you tended to lose approx 20% of the power from one amp, so 10% effectively over the pair (basing this on master slave setups in the days of my atomic 5000.1 for spl, and also various split dynamics efforts, mainly Korean in origin... so zapco maybe better, although the cheaper ranges may be made in the Far East also 👍&#127996

If given the choice and your sub supports it (if itís dual 4 itís not gonna happen, but if itís dual one or a pair of dual 2ís your golden for one amp per sub or a coil to each amp if a dual 1 ohm)
My sub is a single 4 ohm coil and the Zapco ST mono amps put out max power at 1 ohm. Please follow my chain of thought and correct me if I am wrong.

My plan is to Strap two ST1000XM II amps on a single 4 ohm woofer. Strapping effectively means they max out at 2 ohms instead of 1 ohm. Right? According to the Zapco site, the amp I have currently, ST-1000XM II, does 500 watts at 4 ohm, 750 at 2 ohm, and 1000 at 1 ohm. By strapping them, I would be adding the 2 ohm performance together into the 4 ohm load. This means I would go from 1 amp putting out 500 watts into 4 ohms, to 2 amps putting out 1500 watts combined into 4 ohms. Right?? $200 for triple the power seems like a good deal. Right???

With efficiency > 85% and considering I am not running them at full load, I am not too worried about loss. I just want to have a little bit more dynamic headroom. I would honestly probably be perfectly happy with a single amp, but aesthetically speaking, two sub amps would match the two amps on the top end better. Not that I am "worried" about it looking good and being balanced, but I want it to look good and it would annoy me that I had two amps on one side and only one on the other!

Thanks to all that have chimed in so far.
Old 05-22-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 159 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Yes your logic on power and how it loads both amps is correct... however Iíd be strapping them somewhat differently...

Basically set both amps to master... then take a ground loop isolator, switch the output polarity on one phase... that way you get 0 degrees and a 180 perfectly out of phase output also, feed one output via splitters into one amp and the other into the other amp, then match the gains with no load connected, now introduce the strapping cable and check you have double the matched voltage across the two amps terminals, itís very simple but gets you some extra pep for free as the master slave is often less than perfect in its application

The other reason I say I wouldnít use master slave (canít be helped in your case) is if one amp goes sideways it takes the other one with it a lot of the time, in fact I recall Scottie Johnsonís extreme pioneer truck sounding like a popcorn machine as 30+ amps went pop one after the other in a big daisy chain in 2005 while judging at the dB drag finals in Cleveland... slightly different how it did that as I think it put a live down the RCAís but was a cruel reminder of what amps can do if linked
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement