Quick Disconnects for car Audio - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2019   #1

Rep Power: 24 Hohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enough

Default Quick Disconnects for car Audio

Gentlemen, it been a long road in this car audio game. Seems like every time I amass my components, the vehicle it’s intended for goes to hell mechanically. And I’m a recent immigrant to Alabama (from Virginia) and come to discover you BETTER be good at working on your own engine here, cuz the people are morons. Don’t EVER take it to a mechanic here... you’ll be lucky if they don’t just loose your keys. Or worse... they blow your system while in their care, misinstall and ruin a new engine and he existing transmission...AND loose the keys. Then want $100 tow fee begore giving it back. Can’t even script this sh-....

So..///I’ve once again got my metaphorical ducks in a row, and about ready to jack this 1996 Toyota Camry (what I’ve downgraded to from a new Ranger Wildtrack at this point, thanks to mechanics) up in stands and start stringin’. Given recent experiences../:what I’d like to do, is have the subwoofer enclosure REMOVEABLE. Same goes for the amplifiers, powered crossover, and aux fuse panel. If it goes to hell or MUST ago to a shop, I can just unhook them and jerk em out in 10 minutes. Money is so tight that I’m concerned where my next meal is comming from thanks to these idiots.... but I know I need to have somthing other than work to do with myself or go crazy. So it’s this. Finishing what I started 2 years ago.

I know they make quick disconnects specifically for car audio, and I haven’t the money, obviously. What I DO have in my shop are several 220v 20A sockets and plugs. It would be awesome to just have a socket I could plug into in the trunk, and have it cleanly installed with a faceplate beside where I’ve done the same thing with the RCA’s from the headunit. A nice flush surface mounted outlet with spring loaded cover.

I just don’t know how save it is. I mean, from what I can tell, [email protected] can provide a rated max of 4400w. That’s probably double what I’ll be drawing. At car voltage (we’ll say 14v), a system fused at 200A will only be making 2800watts.

Is it feasible? Or will I blow my beater all to hell? FYI, do have second battery if I need it, and big 3 already done
Hohn.Ian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 195 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Quick Disconnects for car Audio

I'm not sure i would go down the road of household receptacles.

Just disconnect everything at the amps, or use these:

https://www.amazon.com/LingSY-Female...5DBTZNPJJH393Z

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #3

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

This is from the pro audio side where they have to hookup big power and remove it quickly and often.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/audio/powercon

And on the speaker side is the Speakon connector, which can also handle 1,000s of watts.

But for regular speakers, Iíd suggest looking at Dean XT60 connectors.
dgage is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

All it is, is a connector and it isn't fused. So I don't see why not. You'll only use the pos and neg on the plug and not the ground. If the connection isn't very tight you may need to see about securing it so it doesn't vibrate loose.

One issue you may find is how to connect the wire to the plug. It is a much larger gauge than the plug is designed for.

Kenwood DDX9905s, Helix DSP.3
Zapco Z-150.6 AP, Memphis PRX1500.1
Hertz 280.3, 700.3, 1650.3, SI RM-15
jrwalte is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #5

Rep Power: 24 Hohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enoughHohn.Ian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniSQ View Post
I'm not sure i would go down the road of household receptacles.

Just disconnect everything at the amps, or use these:

https://www.amazon.com/LingSY-Female...5DBTZNPJJH393Z
So what you’re saying is....spend money I don’t have, on something I’m already aware of.....yet can’t afford.

I may as well have not even typed that whole paragraph *sigh*.

If you’re reasoning is just that it doesn’t say car audio on the package....you’ll have to come with better than that. If it’s that some genius might try and plug a washing machine into my trunk..... you’ve got a point. If there’s anyone alive who’s made it to adulthood without natural selection having already weeded them out, it’s here in Alabama. But if I glue a shiny quarter to the trunk floor, I think they’ll be distracted and forget the washing machine idea.

Anybody else? With some mathematical reasonings? The outlets are rated for 20A @ 220v.
Old 05-21-2019   #6

Rep Power: 62 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Edit* Saw your previous response. This is probably out but you typed while I was typing
Why not just install a hidden automotive circuit breaker?

https://www.amazon.com/ANJOSHI-20A-3...s%2C275&sr=8-5

Also, if you can't afford a $8 item then click the link below:

https://www.daveramsey.com/dave-ramsey-7-baby-steps

2014 F150 Limited -> Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, SI TM65 mk3, & JL TW3. Rears: SB17's. Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV, Soon: PDX-F6 and SI M3 in Valicar Stuttgart pods
jdunk54nl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdunk54nl For This Useful Post:
dcfis (05-22-2019), LumbermanSVO (05-23-2019)
Old 05-21-2019   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
All it is, is a connector and it isn't fused. So I don't see why not. You'll only use the pos and neg on the plug and not the ground. If the connection isn't very tight you may need to see about securing it so it doesn't vibrate loose.
What I was thinking. Mathematically it looks sound. Wasn’t just looking for a yes man, but someone to peer-check,you might say. I’ll see what anyone else has to say.

Well.... those that read my whole post, and aren’t just working for some supplier. Amazing how you’ll post you don’t know where your next meal is comming from....but they want you to pay for some product specifically advertised for the job. Pay with what? Food stamps? Maybe they live in alabama, too.....

Would probably faint if they saw my stack of fan-cooled XBox PSU’s, powering two Memphis 15’s on a couple Sony 1200s in my living room. Enough to walk a glass of Water across the coffee table watching Thin Red Line.

Probably have the geek squad go inside their laptops for them, at whatever the cost.

<shakes his head at men today>
Old 05-21-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 jrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enoughjrwalte will become famous soon enough

Another issue you could have is arcing, but I can't say for sure. But the close proximity of the pos and neg on a 220v/20a connector and the larger size of your wires (4ga + compared to 10-12ga the connector is designed for) may not be properly shielded to prevent arcing.

Old 05-21-2019   #9

Rep Power: 14 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

^^^ This. 220V and 20A are two sperate maximums. It is NOT just 4400 watts. If you need less than 20 amps, the household receptacles should work. If you need more than 20 amps, go with the XT60s. It is $8 well spent.
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbie View Post
go with the XT60s. It is $8 well spent.
I would think you are talking for speaker wires. An XT60 connector could not handle a 4ga power wire.

Old 05-21-2019   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbie View Post
^^^ This. 220V and 20A are two sperate maximums. It is NOT just 4400 watts. If you need less than 20 amps, the household receptacles should work. If you need more than 20 amps, go with the XT60s. It is $8 well spent.

<prays for patience>

220v outlet rated for 20A.... equals a max of, What? 4400watts! The point being that I’m not using anywhere near hat much.

You’ll have to excuse me. I leave out all the simple 1+2’s when I’m brainstorming in calculus, too. I Take it for granted that everyone in the room can keep up.

Why I rarely ever post here. I spend hours replying to people about stuff that’s not even relevant to the question/verification I had. Look how many people have posted product links when half my original post described how the LOCAL idiots have left me F****** Broke! Ever specifically mentioned the SAME disconnects you all keep linking. What am I supposed to do, call up the ebay seller and promise him a BJ on credit?

Jesus Christ. Someone posted the address for this forum in a remedial middle school somewhere.

Thread closed.
Old 05-21-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 377 gijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond reputegijoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohn.Ian View Post
<prays for patience>

220v outlet rated for 20A.... equals a max of, What? 4400watts! The point being that Iím not using anywhere near hat much.

Youíll have to excuse me. I leave out all the simple 1+2ís when Iím brainstorming in calculus, too. I Take it for granted that everyone in the room can keep up.

Why I rarely ever post here. I spend hours replying to people about stuff thatís not even relevant to the question/verification I had. Look how many people have posted product links when half my original post described how the LOCAL idiots have left me F****** Broke! Ever specifically mentioned the SAME disconnects you all keep linking. What am I supposed to do, call up the ebay seller and promise him a BJ on credit?

Jesus Christ. Someone posted the address for this forum in a remedial middle school somewhere.

Thread closed.
At 14 volts (a reasonable automotive voltage) you will hit 20 amps with only 280 watts.

P=IV so if I (current) is 20 amps, and V (voltage) is 14 volts, then you'll only get 280 watts safely. Just 420 watts will pull 30 amps. Make sure that whatever solution you come up with can handle the current you're asking for.
gijoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to gijoe For This Useful Post:
jdunk54nl (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019   #13

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohn.Ian View Post
<prays for patience>

220v outlet rated for 20A.... equals a max of, What? 4400watts! The point being that Iím not using anywhere near hat much.

Youíll have to excuse me. I leave out all the simple 1+2ís when Iím brainstorming in calculus, too. I Take it for granted that everyone in the room can keep up.

Why I rarely ever post here. I spend hours replying to people about stuff thatís not even relevant to the question/verification I had. Look how many people have posted product links when half my original post described how the LOCAL idiots have left me F****** Broke! Ever specifically mentioned the SAME disconnects you all keep linking. What am I supposed to do, call up the ebay seller and promise him a BJ on credit?

Thread closed.
I think you need some weed...

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidRam For This Useful Post:
-Kyle- (05-22-2019), grtpumpkin (06-03-2019), jdunk54nl (05-21-2019), OldNewbie (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 195 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

i love it when people come here and want to install household receptacles and plugs in their cars and when we tell them thats ridiculous then "we" are the idiots.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 GB10d4x2 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miniSQ For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (05-22-2019), dcfis (05-22-2019), LumbermanSVO (05-23-2019), OldNewbie (05-21-2019), SHAGGS (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019   #15

Rep Power: 14 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
I would think you are talking for speaker wires. An XT60 connector could not handle a 4ga power wire.
I was thinking that 10 pairs come in the pack and 3 pairs would equal 180 amps which should be sufficient. But more importantly, DavidRam has the real answer!
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #16

Rep Power: 37 OCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enough

I just browsed through the thread, so I may have missed some details, but this is what I would get. Good to 2500 watts.

https://www.wccaraudio.com/1-channel-neo-terminal.html
OCD66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #17

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

And OP, unless your 220V plugs are the locking type, which arenít that common, no way would I risk a fire in a car. A regular plug could easily come loose and cause a fire.

Sorry that the recommendations we gave cost money but thatís the reality. We didnít throw out crazy solutions that cost much money, and least most of the recommendations were entirely reasonable, so I hate to say this but if you arenít able to do it right with at least a little bit of money, you may not be able to do it, YET. Or, just forego having a quick disconnect and wire into a distribution block, assuming that is part of the equipment youíve been collecting. I sure hope a main fuse holder for the wire run from the battery and a fuse block for the amps has already been collected. If you donít plan to run fuses, you have the potential for a fire to take out your entire car.

And sorry youíre frustrated but we are just trying to help.
Old 05-21-2019   #18

Rep Power: 47 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

What Guage wire you running. Maybe if you clamp on ring terminals and screw em down tight and fuse before the terminal just on case anything comes loose. It's your car. I really don't recommend it but I know how it is being broke and still wanting to tinker. Just make it safe so you don't start a fire and cost you more money.

Save up for this. Looks pretty beefy. Or look up forklift battery disconnect.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123380254086
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #19

Rep Power: 62 jdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enoughjdunk54nl will become famous soon enough

Is this for power or speaker wires?

Speaker wire you should be fine as the amp won't be putting out much over 150 watts for speakers (unless sub).

Power wire and you are in trouble. As gijoe said. The 220v and/or 20amps are both maximums. As in, you only get 20amps of current through that plug before you have heat issues.

If we assume 14v, that means 280 watts total for power.

You also have to worry about the constant shaking and rattling of the plugs....I wouldn't want those plugs to fall out going down the road and hit anything metal and fry your amp.

2014 F150 Limited -> Factory HU programmed for 4v outputs -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, SI TM65 mk3, & JL TW3. Rears: SB17's. Resonix 35% CLD and 100% CCF, 100% MLV, Soon: PDX-F6 and SI M3 in Valicar Stuttgart pods
Old 05-22-2019   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 960 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, I was going to give good answers (look at winch power connectors) but the OP is being a douche so, use kindling wood instead.

edit:

Let's just help someone who comes across this thread in the future, with the same issue:

Winch power connectors are pos/neg connectors that usually can take up to 2 gauge cable, and are designed for this type of work. So I would A: Install a main circuit breaker within 12" of the battery, which will be the main power cutoff. And then B: install whatever removable equipment needed with one or multiple (as needed) winch connectors. For any circuits remaining, use XT60's which work well up to about 10 gauge.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum

Last edited by Lanson; 05-22-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanson For This Useful Post:
Jahaziel22 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-22-2019   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 jolathe will become famous soon enoughjolathe will become famous soon enoughjolathe will become famous soon enoughjolathe will become famous soon enoughjolathe will become famous soon enoughjolathe will become famous soon enough

I put Neutrik Speakon connectors on my subwoofer boxes in my truck. I unplug the boxes and take them out when my dog is riding along or I need the space for cargo. They work great.
jolathe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jolathe For This Useful Post:
jasonflair50 (05-28-2019)
Old 05-22-2019   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

Make a removable amp rack, then use this:

https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/ma...=6&webCatKey=0

You'll need the other end too.

Seems like a smart guy like yourself could put together that kind of money, (I hope). You just need to use the internet to your advantage. It makes me money a few days out of the week.

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019   #23

Rep Power: 36 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBPXltonarc

CAF used these

2014 Honda Accord LX - JL Audio C2-650, Kicker CSC674, Helix DSP Pro MK1, Pioneer GM-D8604, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019   #24

OP, if you do not know where your next meal is coming from, maybe it is time to sell your audio equipment so that you have money for meals, rent, electricity, etc. AKA, the essentials.

There are always people selling car audio that you can get back in the hobby when you are financially stable. But instead of working on this hobby, get a second job, a third job, and work your butt off so you don't ever have to feel this way again!

I know I would sell everything in site that wasn't tied down if I was in your situation and work 110+ hours a week!

Old 05-22-2019   #25

And dude, realize youíre not alone man. Here is a post from a few years ago when a member, who was a doctor, was dealing with a lot with the job and financially. Yes he may not have been wondering where the next meal was but the pressure and feeling is no less crushing. And he persevered and made it through and is doing better now.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-new-post.html

And Iíve struggled the past few years as Iíve tried to start a new business. Incredibly stressful and times when I wondered how the hell Iíd pay certain bills, including groceries, but I kept plugging away and itís better now; still a struggle but better.

Hope you can find something youíd like to do and start doing it but the reality is you just need to move forward as best you can and try to gain momentum so that youíre moving forward without a constant struggle or push. It wonít be easy but Iím confident anyone can do it, whatever it is, if they put their mind to it and just keep pushing every...single...day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement