GPS antenna install question? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2019   #1

Rep Power: 146 jlansaw will become famous soon enoughjlansaw will become famous soon enoughjlansaw will become famous soon enoughjlansaw will become famous soon enoughjlansaw will become famous soon enoughjlansaw will become famous soon enough

Default GPS antenna install question?

Can I install my gps antenna (Alpine INE-w957hd) inside the dash or does it need to on the top of dash or roof. Of course I want to hide it but I want it to work. What can I get away with?
jlansaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019   #2

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Technician

Rep Power: 49 Mullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enoughMullings will become famous soon enough

You can put it inside of the dash as long as their’s no metal surface above it
Mullings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 157 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Default Re: GPS antenna install question?

I have fitted gps aerials inside roof linings, the whole it needs to see the sky thing is a thing... until you actually fit a gps aerial in a roof lining and it still works, takes longer to pick up a signal in some cases but once it has a lock it definitely works just as well as one that sees the sky from a dash top or wherever...

And yes I do it for a job (all police cars have a fleet tracker installed), and yes I have seen data on a laptop that says it performs the exact same way as a skyward one, and yes I was insistent it wouldn’t work for weeks before I went on the course and saw the actual data... and yes I thought the guy doing the course was gonna get show up...

So yes under the top of a dashboard is fine 👍🏼 And works just as well as on top despite what common gps guidance says and states
dumdum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dumdum For This Useful Post:
OldNewbie (05-22-2019)

Old 05-22-2019   #4

Rep Power: 10 Adrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enoughAdrock will become famous soon enough

Inside the dash as parallel to the ground as possible and preferably on top of metal brace/support. Works just fine.
Adrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 99 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Default Re: GPS antenna install question?

The magnetic plates they come with make a difference. Use it. I've been putting them on dash's for 20 years with great results.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement