Trunk sound deadener - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019   #1

Rep Power: 45 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Default Trunk sound deadener

So.. I have a bunch of dynamat style sound deadener and I've done my trunk lid and license plate so it doesn't rattle as much outside of the car. My question is if I pull the side carpets had floor mat out and deaden those areas am I going to notice better bass response?

My doors are also done. Few plastic panels. I'm doing my a pillars right now cause I have them off to run wires for tweeters.
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Trunk sound deadener

No need to over due things, if you are using a good sound deadener, you only need 30% coverage.

Deadener also does not increase bass, it just decreases resonance. In fact if you leave your OEM speakers, deaden and seal the door, you will decrease bass by a huge portion cause the factory bass is based on resonance that tends to be boomy with hard to notice or hear distortion.

If anything bass is reduced and mid bass is more noticeable.

No need to go wild with it. I would put some in the ceiling if the doors and trunk are treated, it should increase spl as the sound is kept in due to more resonance control.
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019   #3

Rep Power: 45 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
No need to over due things, if you are using a good sound deadener, you only need 30% coverage.

Deadener also does not increase bass, it just decreases resonance. In fact if you leave your OEM speakers, deaden and seal the door, you will decrease bass by a huge portion cause the factory bass is based on resonance that tends to be boomy with hard to notice or hear distortion.

If anything bass is reduced and mid bass is more noticeable.

No need to go wild with it. I would put some in the ceiling if the doors and trunk are treated, it should increase spl as the sound is kept in due to more resonance control.
Thanks for the info. Makes sense. My car had a good amount of bass with the stock speakers and no deadening. I I wish I could get in my door more. It's totally sealed besides 5he hole.for the speaker. Not complaining though. I don't have to worry about trying to seal it up.

Old 05-23-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 132 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Trunk sound deadener

The best you can do to get more bass from your doors is with tuning, active crossovers bi amplified components crossing them where they play better, blend ( not the term I like to use) tune your Midbass to play well with your sub, basically tune both, cross them EQ etc.
You can clean up a lot of undesirable midbass, by significantly cutting from 140-160hz maybe up to the 180-200 Hz if your EQ lacks the other 2 bands. Sometimes if the sub is the furthest from the rest of the components, time align it and try to low pass it from 120 down to 70-80 Hz.
Every car interior is different, but eventually trying different things in steps you will get the most bass in the front assuming that is your goal, for the best sq stage.
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
The best you can do to get more bass from your doors is with tuning, active crossovers bi amplified components crossing them where they play better, blend ( not the term I like to use) tune your Midbass to play well with your sub, basically tune both, cross them EQ etc.
You can clean up a lot of undesirable midbass, by significantly cutting from 140-160hz maybe up to the 180-200 Hz if your EQ lacks the other 2 bands. Sometimes if the sub is the furthest from the rest of the components, time align it and try to low pass it from 120 down to 70-80 Hz.
Every car interior is different, but eventually trying different things in steps you will get the most bass in the front assuming that is your goal, for the best sq stage.
Got ya. I'm actually struggling with that now. I just posted in the technical forum asking for help with rew and tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement