How would you make your system worse? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019   #1

12V Company:
Car Toys
Position:
MECP Advanced Certified Noob

Rep Power: 26 mattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enough

Default How would you make your system worse?

Given that you have complete control of power, eq, TA, polarity, how would you go about purposefully creating the worse audio system possible? I'm curious if it's possible to make a high end aftermarket system sound 'worse' than crappy factory speakers. I want to see the look on people's faces when I give them an "exclusive demo" of my SQ system. This will be my prank preset.

Guidelines:
- I want all the speakers playing something, so no muting allowed
- Nothing that will cause damage to the speakers (ex: clipping them on purpose)

Ideas that I have:
- Flip polarity of a few speakers
- Create artifical comb filtering by cutting closeby frequencies with high Q
- Deleting all low pass filters so that subs and midbass are receiving treble frequencies
- Setting time alignment completely different than the physical distance
- Mixing the L/R inputs into mono on the DSP configuration

What else will increase the cringe factor? Share your ideas!

iPad Pro dash integration and 7.1 Surround Audiofrog system with fully custom installation and fabrication. CLICK HERE to see the complete build log with pics
mattkim1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019   #2

Rep Power: 50 Ifixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How would you make your system worse?

I think you've about covered it.
Set ta so it echoes from one tweeter to a mid then to the other tweeter then other mid.

Boost the crap out of 1khz.
Massively cut 300hz-600hz.

Reverse polarity of only one mid and one tweeter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Alpine MRD-M500 - 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 | Rockford Fosgate Prime 300 @ 412 Watts RMS | SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 | Alpine Hiend 28mm tweeters
Ifixtheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 34 VincMartel will become famous soon enoughVincMartel will become famous soon enoughVincMartel will become famous soon enoughVincMartel will become famous soon enoughVincMartel will become famous soon enoughVincMartel will become famous soon enough

Let me tune your system!
VincMartel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to VincMartel For This Useful Post:
01LSi (05-25-2019)

Old 05-24-2019   #4

Rep Power: 25 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincMartel View Post
Let me tune your system!
That's the funniest thing I've seen on here yet. LMAO.

Chevy Sonic: Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX, JL VX 800/8i, VX 1000/1i,Morel CCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2019   #5

Rep Power: 44 JH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincMartel View Post
Let me tune your system!
Hilarious....love it!!

"Rumors of Bob but never Bob.........So what is it you tell people you do these days Bob?"
JH1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 305 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Boost the crap out of 250. Dump truck full of mud right there.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 957 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, this is a very interesting thread!

I would probably F-up the timing to the point where it sounds like its weird in your head, you know.. tweak the crossover points so there's massive gaping holes in the response, tons of sibilance and spitty sounds, and basically like an MB Quart tweeter from the Discus line... and yeah bloat the midrange so it sounds like a Victrola with a dented horn.

And then I'd have people wash out their ears before coming back to the car to listen to it tuned properly.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019   #8

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 83 Weigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enoughWeigel21 will become famous soon enough

Many things have been said that should do well at degrading the enjoyment of the system's sound. I'll see if I can add anything further.

I'd also boost 3.5-4.5kHz so there's a very pronounced hissing S (this would drive me nuts personally).

I know you said something about removing LPFs so the mids and subs would play highs, but perhaps crank up the SSF on the subs too, so the low end is hollow and lifeless.

Really dial back the gain on the highs(tweeters) too, so it only adds to how lifeless the system sounds. With the mids being allowed to play well up into beaming and the boosts right around beaming, it's should really help to suck the enjoyment from the system.

Not sure what the preference is for those you plan to audition the system to, but instead of a nearly nonexistent low end, a really exaggerated low end response from the sub stage to where one can't even clearly hear the vocals, that too should further reduce enjoyment. Playback song you know they like, but they can't even recognize it as 90% of what they hear is bass. I had a buddy back in high school that had enough sub stage that I didn't even recognize songs I knew, even after knowing that's what was playing.

Last edited by Weigel21; 05-27-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Weigel21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement