Amp/DSP settings for subwoofer RCA output - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 24 Twobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enoughTwobeers will become famous soon enough

Default Amp/DSP settings for subwoofer RCA output

My equipment has perhaps too many options for me and I could use some expert advice. Situation is that I have replaced the stock amp in my car with an Audiotec Fischer Match Up 7BMW amp/DSP unit. This has an RCA output that is connected to a Kicker DXA500.1 mono amp, which is in turn feeding an 8" Alpine Type R in a sealed box. The Kicker amp has all the usual knobs, but what is throwing me off is that the Match amplifier/DSP has tons of adjustments available for this RCA output through a Windows software application. This includes:

- a "Channel Gain and Output Level" setting that is adjustable between -30db and 5db in 0.25db increments. What is advisable here? I figure I need to first set this correctly (whatever that may mean), and then adjust the gain on the Kicker amp...?

- there are high and low pass filters, as well as a 30 band equalizer. Each band of the equalizer is further adjustable through a "Fine EQ" section that lets me adjust "db" from -15 to 6, "Hz" from 23 to 28 and "Q" from 0.5 to 15. Given that this is going to a subwoofer, my thinking is to bypass both filters and the EQ, and just use the low pass filter on the Kicker amp (which cannot be shut off). Does this make sense?

- finally, there are setting for polarity (normal or inverted) and time (0 to 425 cm). I take it that the time setting should be set to the distance between the driver's seat and the subwoofer - is that right? My understanding is that polarity should be left at 0 since my sub is installed in the enclosure in normal fashion - right?

All thoughts from the experts here would be appreciated.
Twobeers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Rep Power: 47 Ifixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enoughIfixtheinternet will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Amp/DSP settings for subwoofer RCA output

Honestly it sounds like you still have quite a bit to learn, and this is a complex amplifier. You may need to get local tuning assistance. But let me see if I can clear some basics up .

The gain should be set to 0db or lower on the first amp, you don't want to add any gain. You will need to set the gain properly on the Fischer amp, then the 2nd amp so there is no clipping in the signal chain.

You want the sub crossover active only on one of the amps. Preferably the Fischer since it has more options. Then you would set the other amp to pass through.

The polarity of the sub will be at 0 because you have time alignment. The distance will be set according to the sub and midbass blending well at the crossover point, at the listening position. This may or may not be anywhere close to the actual measured distance from the sub to the listening position.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Subaru Legacy SQ build
Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Alpine MRD-M500 - 2 JL Audio 12W3v3 | Rockford Fosgate Prime 300 @ 412 Watts RMS | SB Acoustics SB17MFC35 | Alpine Hiend 28mm tweeters
Ifixtheinternet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement