Zapco Z8IV GEW vs PEQ - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019   #1

Rep Power: 41 JH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enough

Recently I discovered that you can use both the PEQ and GEQ on this software.I was under the assumption that it was one or the other.The way it works is screwy though.You have to use GEQ on the channel first and then you can go fine tune with PEQ .....BUT you can't go back to GEQ because it will reset.Kind of stupid if you ask me.

Anyway,I tuned the system last summer just using the PEQ so I am wondering out loud what the benefits would be of going back and Re-EQing the whole system using the GEQ as well? Any experience or thoughts?

"Rumors of Bob but never Bob.........So what is it you tell people you do these days Bob?"
JH1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Zapco Z8IV GEW vs PEQ

I just installed one of these in my setup and read that you could use both and played around with it in the software. If you want to do it, what I would do is start with a new clean setting, and go in and complete the GEQ for all of the channels to get it as close to your preferred curve. Then save this to your computer as "Base Setting With EQ" Once you do this, remember you can not go back into the GEQ or you'll reset it, but you'll always have a file with with your base GEQ settings. From there, you can fine tune with the PEQ.

That all being said, unless you have serious issues with your setup, 31 bands of PEQ per channel (11 bands for channels 7 & 8) should be more than enough to get a very good tune without worrying about the GEQ at all. The PEQ is far more powerful than having set frequency bands.

Josh
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019   #3

Rep Power: 41 JH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback Josh,I pretty much figured the same thing with 31 bands per channel which is why I only used the PEQ.I was just wondering out loud if there would be any advantages to utilizing the GEQ ahead of the PEQ.That being said why would Zapco have all of that EQ possibility per channel? I mean seriously,between both EQ modes you've got 62 filters!!

"Rumors of Bob but never Bob.........So what is it you tell people you do these days Bob?"

Old 05-29-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 fischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enoughfischman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1973 View Post
Thanks for the feedback Josh,I pretty much figured the same thing with 31 bands per channel which is why I only used the PEQ.I was just wondering out loud if there would be any advantages to utilizing the GEQ ahead of the PEQ.That being said why would Zapco have all of that EQ possibility per channel? I mean seriously,between both EQ modes you've got 62 filters!!
True. I think it's one of those situations where they could do it so they did it, lol. But it does get overwhelming and as of now, I don't believe I'll be using the GEQ. Especially since I'm running active, those 31 PEQ bands seems like a whole lot to use in a narrow pass band.

However, if you have the time to sit down and tune, I'm sure you could get it dialed in quite well using both.

Josh
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Something is bad wrong if you can't get dialed in with 31 peq bands per channel and 11 on the sub, lol. It would make way more sense to use the geq for tonal shaping AFTER doing the dirty work with the peq. They have it backwards.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Something is bad wrong if you can't get dialed in with 31 peq bands per channel and 11 on the sub, lol. It would make way more sense to use the geq for tonal shaping AFTER doing the dirty work with the peq. They have it backwards.
I know,it's retarded.....🤔

But even at 31 bands it can still be a nightmare EQing the mid on a 2-way.I've got this 400hz dip that won't go away and it's definitely audible.There's something missing in the sound that doesn't complete it.Being around this stuff long enough I can just tell when listening.I've tried every combo of phase,tweaking TA, levels...blah blah you name it.It's just that one detail that keeps the system from being good to sounding spectacular.

Last edited by JH1973; 05-29-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Old 05-29-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But even at 31 bands it can still be a nightmare EQing the mid on a 2-way.I've got this 400hz dip that won't go away and it's definitely audible.There's something missing in the sound that doesn't complete it.Being around this stuff long enough I can just tell when listening.I've tried every combo of phase,tweaking TA, levels...blah blah you name it.It's just that one detail that keeps the system from being good to sounding spectacular.
So that 400hz dip isn't responding to eq at all?

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Old 05-29-2019   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Quote:

So that 400hz dip isn't responding to eq at all?
Nope,it won't budge and it's a wide dip say from 320-500ish.

Old 06-03-2019   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischman View Post
True. I think it's one of those situations where they could do it so they did it, lol. But it does get overwhelming and as of now, I don't believe I'll be using the GEQ. Especially since I'm running active, those 31 PEQ bands seems like a whole lot to use in a narrow pass band.

However, if you have the time to sit down and tune, I'm sure you could get it dialed in quite well using both.

Josh
Actually,I was just messing with it some and figured out that it's not 60+ filters per channel.When you use the GEQ it uses one of the PEQ filter numbers.So, in other words there are 31 filters per channel total and it's the users choice how many of those they want GEQ and how many PEQ.

Old 06-03-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nope,it won't budge and it's a wide dip say from 320-500ish.
Is there a phase issue or just the car's dimensions?
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistrate View Post
Is there a phase issue or just the car's dimensions?
I don't think it's either,not sure.I'm kind of wondering if SB17's aren't the greatest for 2-ways.Maybe they're better suited for 3-way? I'm seriously considering modding the pillars to fit some descent 3" and tweets and just letting the SB's play 80-250hz.I bet that would brighten things and add width-depth to the stage.

Old 06-04-2019   #12

Rep Power: 22 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't think it's either,not sure.I'm kind of wondering if SB17's aren't the greatest for 2-ways.Maybe they're better suited for 3-way? I'm seriously considering modding the pillars to fit some descent 3" and tweets and just letting the SB's play 80-250hz.I bet that would brighten things and add width-depth to the stage.
I ran into this same problem. The SB 17's were low in the door and caused a large dip in 500 Hz. on the left side only. I added a midrange in the dash and started them off at 350 HZ. The large dip finally went away.

Chevy Sonic: JL Fix 82, AC DM-608, Arc Audio XDI 1100.5/450.4,MorelCCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stycker View Post
Quote:
I ran into this same problem. The SB 17's were low in the door and caused a large dip in 500 Hz. on the left side only. I added a midrange in the dash and started them off at 350 HZ. The large dip finally went away.
Thanks for sharing that.Did you notice a big difference audibly as well?

Old 06-04-2019   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,149 Posts
Rep Power: 449 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its 100% not the sb drivers. They can play up to 5k before break up

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Quote:
Its 100% not the sb drivers. They can play up to 5k before break up

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Well the dip is at 400hz so it is the SB's alone playing there.Eliminating that frequency range from the SB's and bringing it up to a mid-range on the pillars would have to be an improvement I would think?

Old 06-04-2019   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Yeah if your door locations are causing that dip a midrange up top is probably your best bet. Might be worth trying everything you can before doing that if for no other reason than to know what's causing that dip.

Old 06-04-2019   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

dip in the 3-500 region is very common with low door or kick panel speaker mounting, especially if the seating position is higher significantly higher than usual, like a truck as opposed to a car

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

I bet JH1973's midbass response doesn't look this badThis is in my 2016 Ram doors with midbass low and forward and back when I still had them at 800hz or thereabouts. I try to take BEFORE EQ screenshots just to have a good laugh later.

Old 06-04-2019   #19

Rep Power: 22 Stycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enoughStycker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that.Did you notice a big difference audibly as well?
audibly I did notice a big difference but that probably has more to do with going from 2-way to 3-way and a new tune. Now the speakers are all playing in their comfort zone. Some people won't even notice a dip in frequency caused by the car environment. If you started with a clean flat signal then dropped the EQ from 400-500 about 6-9 db then I think you would hear a degraded signal more so than the car environment messing with the response.

Chevy Sonic: JL Fix 82, AC DM-608, Arc Audio XDI 1100.5/450.4,MorelCCWR254 AF GB60, SS D3004, SS 12" 30w/4558T. Chevy Silverado: Factory HU, NAV-TV GM-650, JL TWK, NVX JAD 800.4, NVX JAD 1200.1, Audiofrog GS690, Morel 2.5, SS R2004, DA HO 12"(2)
Stycker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019   #20

I can't post pictures from imgur now.Anybody know how to fix that?

Old 06-08-2019   #21

Reviewing some of the responses here about a 6.5 being low and forward in the door causing dips......well the interesting thing is that my Sentra has 6.5's low and forward in a 2-way and there are zero dips.In fact,the width,depth and imaging overall is very impressive.

I'm thinking my 2 options are either keeping it 2-way and going with completely different drivers or modding the pillars to play 250hz and up leaving the SB's to MB duties only.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement