New Android headunit coming - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 238 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Default New Android headunit coming

So I've gotten tired of the whine from my Pioneer 8100NEX, probably a pico fuse, I think.

I decided to go with the Joying unit. I got a 10.1" touchscreen/double-DIN. Here's a link:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with this one mainly due to it being one of the only units out there with a digital coax output I could find - again, noise issues have been plaguing me. And yes, I've tried grounding the RCAs, but it's not good enough.

I bought an Arc PS8 (from mic10is) hoping the higher output voltage would help, but it really didn't. And while the Arc does have both TOSLINK and digital coax inputs, you have to buy a separate controller in order to use them - so I decided to sell it off, and I'm going back to my $275 C-DSP 6x8. So I'll be using the coax SPDIF for signal transfer - I was overall pretty happy with the C-DSP unit, just thought it could have been a source of noise.

Anyways, this Joying unit has 4 GB RAM and 64GB storage. No CD mechanism, but honestly, I couldn't care less. Prolly couldn't care less about radio, either, as 99.9% of everything I play is from an SD card, and the .1% left over is probably streaming Pandora from my phone. And I can put a 4G card in this unit, pay an extra monthly fee to StraightTalk and have maps, streaming, internet, whatever, independent of my phone, if I want.

I'm kind of excited. I found a nice video on YT of a guy who did a 1.5hr review with an O-scope, etc. The pre-out voltage wasn't impressive, but he did do a thorough review of when it clips at what frequencies, etc., and of the digital output. The RCAs need more output voltage for people who are going to use them without a line driver, but overall, I think it's a promising unit.

We'll see how it fares.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 164 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

I was reading your thread over on junkies about the head unit, you had me looking at the Joying double din units. Make sure to post up your thoughts once you get it

My Nexus is on its way out, best I can tell the mini USB after years of being in the car is getting worn out, it's loose and rarely charges in the car anymore, so I'm starting to look for replacements. Ideally I want a double din with optical out, not that I can't run RCA's if needed, I'd just rather use the optical that's already running through the car.

I may still go with another tablet, but head units, and especially Android head units are to the point where it's not such a clear choice to go with another tablet.

Some old luggage

naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 98 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New Android headunit coming

my buddy has one of the joying units, analog-out is garbage.

the 8-core cpu is inadequately cooled, so the system thermal throttles and the UI gets super chunky/laggy.

he found a module that's i2s-to-spdif and soldered it onto the board to get digital-out for his dsp. it's usb-powered.

he also fixed the overheating issue by replacing the heatsink and adding low-speed fans.

otherwise, it's been largely a mess.

nadams5755 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 docah will become famous soon enoughdocah will become famous soon enoughdocah will become famous soon enoughdocah will become famous soon enoughdocah will become famous soon enoughdocah will become famous soon enough

So, I have the Dasaita model (basically the same as joying, probably 1-2 revs back) and it's been not great all around. Not an all out fail, but I've achieved not one of my goals. Wait, I guess that's an all out fail.

Software... Android is garbage at usb audio out to a dac. I tried a rom and had "some" luck when using the onkyo app. I rooted and tried to modify the files for usb output but the unit refused to boot forcing a reload. So, I gave up on that.

Forum reading lead me to a thread on xda developers where someone found the i2s (not i2c) pins on the main cpu board and used those with an i2s -> spdif board then ran things through a separate DSP board to get the on-board audio off and back out via spdif. This process was daunting (tons of tiny pad soldering) so I took a shortcut of only getting the i2s audio (leaving FM radio and bluetooth audio dead) to spdif. This actually worked. Perfect audio with no noise from Google/Apple/Youtube music apps. Android wasn't able to control the volume, but i think with some mixer tweaks it could be done.

CPU Overheating. The main board with the cpu has an aluminum heatspreader that on it's own might be "ok" but the thermal interface material is basically a rubber pad insulating the cpu. It overheated running anything and the thing ran slowly and crashed constantly. I replaced the pad with a tiny copper shim and thermal paste sourced from amazon. I also used thermal adhesive to affix an aluminum heatsink to the spreader. This works for most purposes, but sustained load by a map program and audio can still get things toasty. (fans help)

I purchased the carplay adapter and it worked for maybe a week. Support didn't want to replace it and kept sending me "revised" apk's. Gmail scanning stopped them all as containing malware/virus. Screen brightness pulls from canbus "somewhere" and it can't read my car properly (ford focus) so the screen just changed brightness all of the time. Software can control this by time of day, but the hardware buttons blink on and off... whenever. The 4g connectivity that was supposed to be available isn't actually on my unit either.

So I have a 9 inch screen that shows me open street maps and I use my iPhone through a DSP because the 4g was a lie, carplay doesn't work and it's easier than wifi sharing all the time. /rant
docah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 238 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's some interesting feedback. I guess we'll see how it works out, I had considered opening the unit up and putting in a small low-speed PC fan, as I've heard there were some temp issues. I will have to wait and see if this is an issue or not for me with this newer unit.

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 175 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

All I can add is this. I am a little nervous about all the android units. My car (volvo) doesnt have a any head units that work. It was fiber optic from a screen down to an amp. A android based screen came out that finally replaced my factory. It has had decent reviews although it is a very limited market for this as my model didnt have great aftermarket.

While doing my research, I stopped by a few of the decent install shops in my area. 2 of the shops told me they are getting killed with android head unit issues. Clients will bring them in, they will do the install and simply they dont work as advertised. Software issues, glitches, DOA, every issue under the sun. These units are feature rich, but in many cases dont work and the support can be not existent. Before getting one, they told me to find as many users as I can for my model and make sure it actually works. I just pass this advise on to anyone that says they are looking at one.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jroo For This Useful Post:
Notloudenuf (06-03-2019), nyquistrate (06-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement