Helix dsp.2 hec-usb question - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2019   #1

Rep Power: 90 WhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enough

Default Helix dsp.2 hec-usb question

Hey guys.

My iPhone isn’t wanting to cooperate with my helix. I have a dsp.2 with the usb module. And I got the camera usb 3 Apple part too.

But when I plugged in my phone I got this error..

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? My phone is updated to the latest update and even the camera kit updated when I first plugged it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Civic Hatch
Dayton dsp, AV 5.1k, SI RM12, Stevens SA-6s
WhereAmEye? is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019   #2

12V Company:
Car Toys
Position:
MECP Advanced Certified Noob

Rep Power: 27 mattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Helix dsp.2 hec-usb question

That error is from your phone not having enough power to support whatever you plugged in.

Get a powered USB hub like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TPMEOYM..._eFi8Cb6CSQ8MS

And a 12v to 5v transformer:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M03288J..._SGi8Cb8RFWN2N

This will provide enough power for your USB module, and also expand more slots for additional devices. You will need to hardwire the 5v +/- into the hub power cord. Take 12v from accessory/cig lighter.

I ran this exact setup to run my iPad with the Helix USB Hec. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

iPad Pro dash integration and 7.1 Surround Audiofrog system with fully custom installation and fabrication. CLICK HERE to see the complete build log with pics
mattkim1337 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 98 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

you'll get a message saying "insufficient power" if the power is not in fact sufficient.

this bug started in ios 12.1. i've filed a bug with apple and been in discussion w/ people about it. doug from msc is aware of it.

i can't go into details.

nadams5755 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019   #4

Rep Power: 90 WhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enoughWhereAmEye? will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
you'll get a message saying "insufficient power" if the power is not in fact sufficient.

this bug started in ios 12.1. i've filed a bug with apple and been in discussion w/ people about it. doug from msc is aware of it.

i can't go into details.

So it’s not user/hardware error? I’m just sol for now. What terrible timing haha.

2017 Civic Hatch
Old 05-30-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 98 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

it's still a usable output, you just can't charge your device from the usb3 camera adapter at the same time.

Old 05-30-2019   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

my workaround for the time being? use a topping d10 or nuforce udac5, coax/digital output from it to the helix input.

could use a udac3, it's limited to 96k/24bit (if that matters to you) but it's a bit cheaper than the udac5.

d10 is cheaper than both. same usb bridge and dac chip family as the udac5

both the udac3 and udac5 are considerably smaller than the d10, but the d10 also has optical-out.

Old 05-30-2019   #7

Quote:
it's still a usable output, you just can't charge your device from the usb3 camera adapter at the same time.

So if it’s still a useable output then my problem isn’t related to the iOS issue, right? Shouldn’t I still be able to send signal to the helix without charging the phone?

My phone won’t even try to connect to the helix anymore. I plug it in and it continues to play the music through its own speakers.

2017 Civic Hatch
Old 05-30-2019   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

That’s not been my experience. Got power to the usb3 camera adapter? Try bypassing the long usb cable?

Old 05-31-2019   #9

Rep Power: 11 SiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enoughSiW80 will become famous soon enough

Do you have the camera connection kit with the usb output and lightening power input?

If so it should work if you plug in the lightening cable to a usb power source.

Does this effect all usb inputs HEC cards eg also for the DSP Mini?

SiW80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #10

I plugged it in again this morning just to see what happens and, although the “accessory not supported” error came up, the phone speakers quit playing so I turned the volume way up on the director and i heard the subs playing (the only speakers I have connected atm with gains way low).

Using the exact same cables and USB ports as last night. I don’t know what I did wrong last night but it seems to work now (even with the “accessory not supported” error).

2017 Civic Hatch
Old 05-31-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAmEye? View Post
I plugged it in again this morning just to see what happens and, although the “accessory not supported” error came up, the phone speakers quit playing so I turned the volume way up on the director and i heard the subs playing (the only speakers I have connected atm with gains way low).

Using the exact same cables and USB ports as last night. I don’t know what I did wrong last night but it seems to work now (even with the “accessory not supported” error).

According to Doug (dobslob) the "not supported" error is on Apple's end and they are working on getting it sorted out so that the message stops. It's actually stopped coming up on my iPad. But, it is just a message and has no effect.

2014 CAMRY XLE - iPad Pro -- Helix DSP Pro -- Zed Audio Leviathan -- SI BM65 mkii -- Scanspeak 10f/8424G -- d3004/6020 // Zed Audio Leviathan -- (2) Sundown SD-3 10d2 // Zed Audio Minotaur
bmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 bmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond reputebmiller1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
my workaround for the time being? use a topping d10 or nuforce udac5, coax/digital output from it to the helix input.

could use a udac3, it's limited to 96k/24bit (if that matters to you) but it's a bit cheaper than the udac5.

both the udac3 and udac5 are considerably smaller than the d10, but the d10 also has optical-out.
This workaround is essentially what I did. I got tired of trying to figure out what was causing me problems with the HEC-USB so I used the DAC in this link to optical. Everything's fine, iPad charges while powering the DAC, as long as the car is on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 CAMRY XLE - iPad Pro -- Helix DSP Pro -- Zed Audio Leviathan -- SI BM65 mkii -- Scanspeak 10f/8424G -- d3004/6020 // Zed Audio Leviathan -- (2) Sundown SD-3 10d2 // Zed Audio Minotaur
bmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 47 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Aftermarket camera adapter is a current workaround. Error may still pop up but the iOS device will still charge. Confirmed for iOS 12.1+, Helix USB HEC, and iPhone 6/ iPad mini 4.

https://www.amazon.com/HENKUR-Adapte...x=henku&sr=8-3
Bnlcmbcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 47 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:

My phone won’t even try to connect to the helix anymore. I plug it in and it continues to play the music through its own speakers.
When this sometimes happens to me with Apple’s Camera adapter, it is remedied by toggling the USB DAC settings on Director (Full Speed/High Speed) then replugging adapter into iOS device
Old 05-31-2019   #15

Rep Power: 50 jsolo53 will become famous soon enoughjsolo53 will become famous soon enoughjsolo53 will become famous soon enoughjsolo53 will become famous soon enoughjsolo53 will become famous soon enoughjsolo53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I doubt you did anything wrong.

I've been having the same experience for several months. Most of the time after clearing the error on the phone I get music to the DSP, and no charging to the phone. But once in a while the phone can't seem to find the DSP. So far this has been clearing by turning off the car for a while.

This hardware arrangement worked great before iOS 12.1. Hope Apple fixes this soon.

'16 Subaru Legacy - rebuilt Soundstream amps, Audiofrog GB25, Morel Elate 6.5, Dyn MW190,
Helix DSP.2 with HEC USB, iphone as DAP

Last edited by jsolo53; 05-31-2019 at 10:46 AM..
jsolo53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019   #16

Honestly I was hoping it was all my fault so I could fix it and move on. Should have known Apple would be at fault too.

2017 Civic Hatch
Old 06-06-2019   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 aholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Sorry for the silly question but I have to ask. How do you power the udac5?

aholland1198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019   #18
Upgrade Your Membership!

the usb3 camera adapter has a lightning port for power to the device and iThing. i have my usual 2.4a lightning cable plugged into that.

Old 06-06-2019   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 aholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
the usb3 camera adapter has a lightning port for power to the device and iThing. i have my usual 2.4a lightning cable plugged into that.

I see. So the power going into the camera adapter should not only charge the phone, but power the DAC through the usb cable as well.

Old 06-06-2019   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

You can see the LED flashes blue until I plug in power. Then it turns white and advertises itself as a playback device to the iPhone.

https://youtu.be/hGExb41KqVo

Old 06-06-2019   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Awesome!

Old 06-06-2019   #22

Quote:
You can see the LED flashes blue until I plug in power. Then it turns white and advertises itself as a playback device to the iPhone.

https://youtu.be/hGExb41KqVo

Does this method provide charging to the phone? That’s my biggest complaint at the moment.

2017 Civic Hatch
Old 06-06-2019   #23
Upgrade Your Membership!

yeah, you can see the charge icon pop on the status bar.

Old 06-06-2019   #24

Quote:
yeah, you can see the charge icon pop on the status bar.

Yeah I looked at it right after asking.

2017 Civic Hatch
Old 06-06-2019   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Here is a pic of the aftermarket USB camera adapter from Amazon. It’s cheap, and works like a charm until Audiotech and Apple get on the same page.

An error message still pops up but music still plays while iOS device is still able to charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8B1C0083-BF07-477D-9C2C-FA5B0759E2B2.jpg (1.42 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 65F7FD9E-5FE0-4545-9D54-DCE9FA91061A.jpg (1.46 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg D9BCC970-5D1D-4025-AEF9-11E5DAD32BD3.jpg (1.56 MB, 16 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
nadams5755 (06-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement