Sound deadener outside door skin - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 38 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Default Sound deadener outside door skin

My 2011 ford fusion has pretty sealed up doors. I'm wondering what options I have to kill backwave reverberations. I tapped on my speaker just now with the door cards off and it sounds like a racket ball Court. Really tinny, kind of an echo. Heres a pic. I was to stupid to take my own so I screen shotted this of a youtube video. My problem is I can't get my arm in there even enough to Clean let alone trying to use cld inside there. The whole aluminum panel is riveted to the door so the only way is is to drill it and add new rivots or nuts and bolts. I'm worried if I open it I'll screw something up with my window motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190605-123841__01_1559763796451.jpg (395.0 KB, 26 views)
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,120 Posts
Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Sound deadener outside door skin

open it up and have at it

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 38 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
I kinda knew that would be the answer. I'm worried I'll get it apart and need something to put it back together.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Quote:
Your right. I just watched a video on replacing the window regator. I'm good with electronics and Mechanical, I guess I'm just being a sissy.

Once it's open I can clean it and put cld over the whole thing. Do you recommend me putting anything else in there while I have it apart?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon View Post
Your right. I just watched a video on replacing the window regator. I'm good with electronics and Mechanical, I guess I'm just being a sissy.

Once it's open I can clean it and put cld over the whole thing. Do you recommend me putting anything else in there while I have it apart?
depends on budget and goals and what your installing in the door.

Bare minimum that i recommend is CLD out the outer skin, spot treat CLD on the inner skin, CCF on the inner skin, and spot treat the door panel with CLD.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

I had to paint that aluminum with primer cause cld would not stick at all on the inner door skin. I spot treated it cause it's pretty bumpy and not a lot of area to get in good size pieces. My door cards have cld and ccf. I wanna do it once so I wanna do it right.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
I had to paint that aluminum with primer cause cld would not stick at all on the inner door skin. I spot treated it cause it's pretty bumpy and not a lot of area to get in good size pieces. My door cards have cld and ccf. I wanna do it once so I wanna do it right.
Read through this then. Also check out our vehicle database. We havent done that car yet, but may have done something similar

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/re...e-information/

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
naiku (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Read through this then. Also check out our vehicle database. We havent done that car yet, but may have done something similar

https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/re...e-information/
Sweet. I'll check it out. I've been on your site before but didn't retain any information.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

All done. I guess all I needed was a little motivation. I was able to cover 90% with cld. I wasn't able to get mlv but I had some closed cell foam eggcrate style foam and I covered most the inside. Hopefully it doesn't hold water. I'm in San Diego and don't see rain as much as the rest.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
All done. I guess all I needed was a little motivation. I was able to cover 90% with cld. I wasn't able to get mlv but I had some closed cell foam eggcrate style foam and I covered most the inside. Hopefully it doesn't hold water. I'm in San Diego and don't see rain as much as the rest.
egg crate foam is usually open cell. I hope you didnt put that inside of the door cavity

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

I did. I'm pretty sure it's closed cell. I grabbed it from my work awhile back and don't know where it came from. It feels like it's made out of have rubber. My boss said it was closed cell. Maybe I'll find out what it is and pull it if it's no bueno
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

well, putting closed cell inside of the door cavity (between the outer and inner skin and no in between the inner door skin and door panel) is useless. It should go between the inner skin and door panel to prevent the two from rattling against each other.

Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Quote:
well, putting closed cell inside of the door cavity (between the outer and inner skin and no in between the inner door skin and door panel) is useless. It should go between the inner skin and door panel to prevent the two from rattling against each other.
I do have thinner closed cell foam between the door card and door. It was easier to attach to the card so I went that route. I got it from parts express. It's not really thick but my door is already pretty tight to get on with that in there. Here it is.

https://www.parts-express.com/sonic-...4-pcs--268-048
Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Rep Power: 17 K-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enough

CCF only stops vibration between surfaces. It doesn't absorb sound frequency's! So putting it inside the inner skin was a waste. The only product I'd use that's foam based is hydrophobic melamine foam inside a door cavity for sound frequency absorption.
K-pop sucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-pop sucks View Post
CCF only stops vibration between surfaces. It doesn't absorb sound frequency's! So putting it inside the inner skin was a waste. The only product I'd use that's foam based is hydrophobic melamine foam inside a door cavity for sound frequency absorption.
I read that yesterday somewhere. I'm gonna pull it out and get some mlv.
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 164 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

This is the "rap test" of my old '06 Milan with dampener on the outer skin. Rear door is untreated, front door is treated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXkdtBGUNcQ

NCSQ
Notloudenuf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-pop sucks View Post
The hydrophobic layer on melamine falls off very quickly. I wouldn't put that in there as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement