Car audio battery worth it? - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 309 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Car audio battery worth it?

So, I'm going to give a suggestion for an agm with data gathered from the bass boat forum. No clue how they would do for car audio but I promise you most of the guys using these batteries cycle them WAY harder than most car audio people would and they hold up. The Duracell agm is excellent for the money. Sam's carries them. I have a group 31 interstate agm in my boat that's there just in case I need to run lights and/or aerators all day or night and STILL crank the big motor on the back when I need to. And it damn near killed me getting it in there it's so heavy! Been in there about 3 years and I'm sure it still has at least that many years left in it. I also have a PROPER charger for it. And the two wet batteries for the 24v trolling motor also have a PROPER charging profile from my upgraded 3 bank smart charger. Trojan and Deka are good too. Whichever agm you choose MAKE SURE your charging system will charge it PROPERLY. If it won't then just get the best wet cranking battery you can find/afford and keep it maintained.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...www.caraudiojunkies.com
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
So, I'm going to give a suggestion for an agm with data gathered from the bass boat forum. No clue how they would do for car audio but I promise you most of the guys using these batteries cycle them WAY harder than most car audio people would and they hold up. The Duracell agm is excellent for the money. Sam's carries them. I have a group 31 interstate agm in my boat that's there just in case I need to run lights and/or aerators all day or night and STILL crank the big motor on the back when I need to. And it damn near killed me getting it in there it's so heavy! Been in there about 3 years and I'm sure it still has at least that many years left in it. I also have a PROPER charger for it. And the two wet batteries for the 24v trolling motor also have a PROPER charging profile from my upgraded 3 bank smart charger. Trojan and Deka are good too. Whichever agm you choose MAKE SURE your charging system will charge it PROPERLY. If it won't then just get the best wet cranking battery you can find/afford and keep it maintained.

I completely agree with this!!!

Most people are purely using their alternator to charge AGM after a long listening session with the engine off. This puts a lot of strain on the battery. The battery could be deep cycled but they have to be charged at a specific voltage and amperage. Anything below 10amps and 13-15v is good. But an alternator doesn't do this. It dumps way more amps on an empty battery. This fast charge will destroy AGM batteries.

I use a Noico Genius G7200 to keep my battery happy. It's smart enough to maintain the battery and desulfate during maintenance mode. I have a quick connect plug mounted to the front of my bumper.

There will be times when you're away from home and can't plug one in after a listening session somewhere but those times should be rare. You could also bring the charger with you.

Having this charger keeps my battery at 100% SOC which keeps them healthy in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One HD, Audison Voce 5.1k HD, Audison Voce Quattro HD, Focal Utopia M 3-way (TBM, 3.5WM, 6WM), Dynaudio Esotar 1200
tonynca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 309 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
I completely agree with this!!!

Most people are purely using their alternator to charge AGM after a long listening session with the engine off. This puts a lot of strain on the battery. The battery could be deep cycled but they have to be charged at a specific voltage and amperage. Anything below 10amps and 13-15v is good. But an alternator doesn't do this. It dumps way more amps on an empty battery. This fast charge will destroy AGM batteries.

I use a Noico Genius G7200 to keep my battery happy. It's smart enough to maintain the battery and desulfate during maintenance mode. I have a quick connect plug mounted to the front of my bumper.

There will be times when you're away from home and can't plug one in after a listening session somewhere but those times should be rare. You could also bring the charger with you.

Having this charger keeps my battery at 100% SOC which keeps them healthy in the long run.

I have a 3 bank MinnKota smart charger in the boat that does 6 amps per bank. I leave it plugged in 24/7 when at the house.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...www.caraudiojunkies.com

Old 06-09-2019   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-pop sucks View Post
Don't waste your money on a cash grab audio system battery.

What does this mean?
nyquistrate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019   #30

Rep Power: 36 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Oooh, that quick connect port is genius.

2014 Honda Accord LX - JL Audio C2-650, Kicker CSC674, Helix DSP Pro MK1, Pioneer GM-D8604, Rockford Fosgate R500X1D
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyquistrate View Post
What does this mean?
Looking past his d-baggery I think he means to make sure you're not paying extra for a pretty sticker. You can literally buy the same exact battery at vastly different price points. Only difference is the sticker on the top.

Old 06-10-2019   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Sigh that's such an ignorant comment. He doesn't even know what the technical difference between certain batteries are.

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One HD, Audison Voce 5.1k HD, Audison Voce Quattro HD, Focal Utopia M 3-way (TBM, 3.5WM, 6WM), Dynaudio Esotar 1200
Old 06-10-2019   #33

12V Company:
Car Audio Inc
Position:
Shop Bitch

Rep Power: 47 thornygravy will become famous soon enoughthornygravy will become famous soon enoughthornygravy will become famous soon enoughthornygravy will become famous soon enoughthornygravy will become famous soon enoughthornygravy will become famous soon enough

bought a red top back in mid 2016.. sitting at 12.5 looks like it's gonna last just long enough to go out of warranty.

Sounds like I got decent amount of life out of this thing than most people do these days. Don't buy one.

Car Audio Inc | Design, Fabrication & Installation
Kenwood KDC-X301 / Helix DSP.2 / RF Punch: P600x4 [Hertz HT28 + HV165] P1000X1bd [2 x JL 10w6v3s]
thornygravy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019   #34

Rep Power: 38 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornygravy View Post
bought a red top back in mid 2016.. sitting at 12.5 looks like it's gonna last just long enough to go out of warranty.

Sounds like I got decent amount of life out of this thing than most people do these days. Don't buy one.
Get that NOCO G7200 charger and run the recovery mode on it a few times. 12.5 v is barely off from the 12.6 v that a RedTop should rest at. It just needs a little love.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 239 tRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond reputetRidiot has a reputation beyond repute

What voltage does the G7200 charge at? Is it the 14.7V or above recommended for AGMs?

"You never know why you're alive until you know what you would die for." - Bart Millard

'04 Tahoe -- Pioneer/ID HLCDs/SI TM65 mkII x4/JBL W15GTi x3/Zapco Z-series & Z8
'09 370Z -- Pioneer/Morel/Dynaudio/SI Magv3 x2/Sundown and Zapco DC amps and DRC-SL
tRidiot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #36

Rep Power: 24 Pb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enough

I ran a Yellowtop in my Cobra forever. It lasted 9 years under heavy audio use (and racing as well). It never died or left me stranded. I loved it so much that I just put another one in my truck. Nothing but success with Optima here. I will always praise them until I find a battery that doesn't perform as it advertises.

Yes, I have cars. They have aftermarket audio.
My build: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-corvette.html
Pb82 Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What's the problem with the battery being at 80% SOC?

From Optima's website:
"For regular charging, we recommend a maximum of 10 amps, 13.8 to 15.0 volts. For float charging, we recommend one amp maximum, 13.2 to 13.8 volts."
From reading this guys post and doing some research after reading, this is basically what kills the AGM. He said optima got a bad name over the last few years and most of it coming from people that had them years back and then go a new one and it died. He says the old one probably did better and lasted longer because it was an older car and older charging system. He is saying that modern car charging systems are not giving enough amps to get the AGM battery to 100%. If the agm, specifically optima are only getting to 80% SOC, they die early. This is why we hear so many people say my new Optima lasted 2 to 3 years and took a dump versus my old one last 7 or 8 years. In a nutshell my take was unless you are going to do all the battery protocol and know your charging system is up to task, you will waste money on an AGM and will kill them every few years.

I was basically in this boat. My old red top lasted close to 8 years in a variety of cars. I would basically just swap it out to whatever I bought. The last red top I got lasted close to two years and one day was dead as a doornail. Again this was in my newer Volvo versus my old VWs and Nissans. He is saying it was the optimas fault, it was the fault of the Volvo charging system. Who knows.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroo View Post
From reading this guys post and doing some research after reading, this is basically what kills the AGM. He said optima got a bad name over the last few years and most of it coming from people that had them years back and then go a new one and it died. He says the old one probably did better and lasted longer because it was an older car and older charging system. He is saying that modern car charging systems are not giving enough amps to get the AGM battery to 100%. If the agm, specifically optima are only getting to 80% SOC, they die early. This is why we hear so many people say my new Optima lasted 2 to 3 years and took a dump versus my old one last 7 or 8 years. In a nutshell my take was unless you are going to do all the battery protocol and know your charging system is up to task, you will waste money on an AGM and will kill them every few years.

I was basically in this boat. My old red top lasted close to 8 years in a variety of cars. I would basically just swap it out to whatever I bought. The last red top I got lasted close to two years and one day was dead as a doornail. Again this was in my newer Volvo versus my old VWs and Nissans. He is saying it was the optimas fault, it was the fault of the Volvo charging system. Who knows.

My optima died bc I used my alt to charge it. So keep doing research.

Old 06-11-2019   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My optima died bc I used my alt to charge it. So keep doing research.

Im just the mailman, not the mail. I think the guy I copied has some valid points worth discussing.
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

I'll keep this short.

Ppl who play music in their charge while the engine is off for an hour then drive the car around to charge it will kill the battery due to the alt using too much amperage to charge the battery.

Also, ppl who don't drive their cars for weeks with a parasitic draw will also kill their battery. Bc, when they do start their car up they end up charging the battery with the alt at high amps.

My battery did not die from my alternator not putting out 14.8v. I just don't want people to guess what was my issue. Get yourself a charger to properly maintain your car if you want it to last.

Attached Images
File Type: png is300charge.png (217.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by tonynca; 06-11-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Old 06-11-2019   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 960 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

I've had excellent luck upgrading all my batteries in all my vehicles (and any vehicle I build on) with Bosch Platinum AGM batteries, the blue top ones with 4 year unconditional un-prorated full replacement warranties. They are usually the same price as a premium lead-acid battery at Pep Boys (in fact it might be the only thing I'd buy from them) but the batteries have held up so far.

Optima, on the other hand, has been a disappointment. Back about 10 years ago, I'd say they were the bomb-diggity. While I sympathize with the discussion on modern charging systems, I don't think that's entirely the problem. A quality charger does go a long way, though. Great points there.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
I've had excellent luck upgrading all my batteries in all my vehicles (and any vehicle I build on) with Bosch Platinum AGM batteries, the blue top ones with 4 year unconditional un-prorated full replacement warranties. They are usually the same price as a premium lead-acid battery at Pep Boys (in fact it might be the only thing I'd buy from them) but the batteries have held up so far.

Optima, on the other hand, has been a disappointment. Back about 10 years ago, I'd say they were the bomb-diggity. While I sympathize with the discussion on modern charging systems, I don't think that's entirely the problem. A quality charger does go a long way, though. Great points there.

I'm using the same battery as you.

Need more time on them to see if they're any good. But for half the price of an XSpower battery I'm not going to complain much even if it dies after 3 years. Because I'll be getting a new one from them

I got mine for $180 without returning a core. How long have you had it?

Btw I used a CCA tester on this thing and it puts out over 1000 CCA at full charge.

Old 06-11-2019   #43

Rep Power: 64 Rolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enoughRolow will become famous soon enough

My Bosh only lasted about 18 months in my 2013 Ford Escape. I didnít realize that the smart charging system could be the problem.

Who does Johnson controls make batteries for?
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 960 Lanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond reputeLanson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm using the same battery as you.

Need more time on them to see if they're any good. But for half the price of an XSpower battery I'm not going to complain much even if it dies after 3 years. Because I'll be getting a new one from them

I got mine for $180 without returning a core. How long have you had it?

Btw I used a CCA tester on this thing and it puts out over 1000 CCA at full charge.

Well my factory Durango battery (an AGM) lasted only 13 months or so before I replaced that one with my first Bosch Platinum AGM. And I had that car another 20ish months before trading it in. The other cars (a Mazda 6, a 2009 Flex, my WRX) all have been under a year so there's not enough data. But little things like, the starter in the WRX sounds much more eager to actually start the damn thing now, gives me hope. I also appreciate the clean aesthetic of this battery. If it does die in 4 years, the replacement service will be used and I'll get my ~$175 out of it for sure.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
Old 06-11-2019   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 Sine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enoughSine Swept will become famous soon enough

I'm still running a Yellow top installed in December 2005, that's what 13.5 years old.

I also live north of Toronto.

I also keep it all fed via added 1/0 power wire and grounds.

I also run 3 amps + DSP

I've also seen guys blow the tops of their yellow tops!

Glean what you can from this.

DNX 5120, MS-8, Scanspeak Illuminator R3004/6020, Focal 5w2, Morel CAW938, IDMAX12 V3, PPI Ax400's + JBL 1201.1 II
Sine Swept is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Swept View Post
I'm still running a Yellow top installed in December 2005, that's what 13.5 years old.

I also live north of Toronto.

I also keep it all fed via added 1/0 power wire and grounds.

I also run 3 amps + DSP

I've also seen guys blow the tops of their yellow tops!

Glean what you can from this.

Ooooh I did that once. It was 2006, I accidentally hard-charged a Yellowtop full steam overnight (like 13 amps) instead of trickle-charging it. It was in an Ultimate Electronics audio bay and I pretty much smoked the whole bay out with sulfur-smelling clouds. NOT good! That actually was my last good Yellowtop

Old 06-12-2019   #47

Rep Power: 30 Rzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enough

Hey guys, what benefit could I see by replacing the car battery with a high performance battery? I run 2000 watts in Dodge Dart and I can't fully turn up the sound or the dash lights shut off and all sorts of stuff like that happens. I want a high output alternator but I don't plan on keeping the car much longer. Should I just replace the battery, since that can go to the next car?
Rzzza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

What battery are you running right now? The batteries may be able to help the alternator a bit but it really depends on what you have now and how bad it is.

An AGM battery has lower internal resistance so it's more happy to give you power when you need it. But the problem is that if you're constantly taking more than what you could put back in, you'll end up straining both the battery and the alternator.

It's more of a bandaid than a true solution, which is getting a high output alt.

Old 06-12-2019   #49

Rep Power: 30 Rzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enoughRzzza will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What battery are you running right now? The batteries may be able to help the alternator a bit but it really depends on what you have now and how bad it is.

An AGM battery has lower internal resistance so it's more happy to give you power when you need it. But the problem is that if you're constantly taking more than what you could put back in, you'll end up straining both the battery and the alternator.

It's more of a bandaid than a true solution, which is getting a high output alt.

Thanks for that, I wouldn't know. It was probably the most affordable one at O'Reilly. Here's a picture, I obviously upgraded the alternator and ground wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery.jpg (812.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg battery2.jpg (1.07 MB, 15 views)
Rzzza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019   #50

Rep Power: 0 Polar will become famous soon enoughPolar will become famous soon enoughPolar will become famous soon enoughPolar will become famous soon enoughPolar will become famous soon enoughPolar will become famous soon enough

I have had 2 of the newer yellow tops for 2 years now with no issues. I have major current draw with all the crap in my car. Factory alt too but I do put them on a smart charger every week or so, especially after shows where Ill typically have a ton of led lighting on. Guess I'm lucky so far.....
Polar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement