Which amp to buy? (Specific, Hertz) New member. First post. . First post. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough

Default Which amp to buy? (Specific, Hertz) New member. First post. . First post.

Hi,

I am hoping to get some feedback about my plans for my current install. I'm hoping the forums here will expand my knowledge about the best way to create the car audio system I am working on putting together. I sent the following to Hertz to ask them about 2 specific amps I am looking at, but my question to them turned into a much longer question / statement about my current situation, so figured I'd join a car audio forum for once and learn from the best!

Here goes, sorry for the long first post. I felt it was necessary to say everything I am about to say,

I have a set of Hertz dsk165.3 components I plan to install into kick panels to cover mid and high frequencies using a high pass filter on the amp.

I also have 2 x Hertz ev165L.4 I plan to install into the bottom of the front doors to provide mid-bass / bass using the low-pass filter on the amp.

I am looking at the Hertz Dpower4 (which seems perfect with the "active 2-way" setup) as shown in the configuration examples on the hertz site. I am assuming that is putting a 2 ohm load on the amp, as it will be in "2 channel mode"

I am also looking at the Hertz HCP4 (which I am not sure will work with my set-up the way I would like). When looking in the configuration examples on the site it doesn't appear to be able to run the components and woofers the same way the Dpower4 can, while still retaining the usage of the highpass AND lowpass filters at the same time.

My questions....

1. Can the HCP4 be configured the same way the Dpower4 can in terms of the 2 ohm load "active 2-way" setup? (retaining the usage of the highpass AND lowpass filters at the same time)?

2. When the Dpower4 is set up as a "active 2-way setup", does that mean it's running at 2 ohms?

3. How, if possible could I do the same as above with the HCP4?

4. What crossover settings would you suggest for my setup? I was thinking the ev165L.4 woofers in the front doors could be set to run about 250hz and below with the amp's low pass filter, and the DSK165.3 in the kick panels running 250hz and above with the amp's high pass filter. But that seems as though it's not possible on the HCP4 amp, but very possible on the Dpower4 amp.

---- I don't plan to run more speakers than I have, no subwoofer.----

5. I am trying to go for a good sound quality front stage, and don't need fader controls, so I suppose I am saying since all the speakers are in the front, I can live without a fader but perhaps the HCP4 can allow this if I run it at 4 ohms? I like the idea of a Class A/B amp anyway for better sound quality than the Dpower4 amp, plus my thoughts are that the HCP4 wouldn't have to work as hard as the Dpower4 would in this type of arrangement.

----I plan to run the signal from a kenwood kmr m322bt marine head unit (hidden behind the dash) using usb via an extention cable to play flac files, and for bluetooth aptx playing and head unit control via my Samsung a5 2017 and Kenwood's "remote app".----

----I also plan to run the head unit's signal through a Precision Power "PPI E.7" to use the master volume control on the unit to do just that (as the head unit will be hidden) and for fine tuning / pre-amp signal.---- I still haven't bought the head unit or the EQ so open to any other suggestions but at this time the features and price works well for me on both those units. I really want to play flac music and have Aptx codec possibility for bluetooth.

----This is going in an old '74 Toyota 1000 (kp30) and I plan to deaden the doors the best I can using the "home depot material method" instead of the more expensive Dynamat material, mounting the 2 x Hertz ev165L.4 on a 1" solid plastic spacer at the bottom of the doors, and install the Hertz dsk165.3 2-way components in the kick panels in a sealed pod, unless cutting into the metal to use the space behind is a better idea----

6. Any suggestions or better ideas for what I am working with already and plan to work with? I hope one of the 2 mentioned amps should work perfectly with my setup, especially since they are both available at a good price new at the moment. $150 for the Dpower4 and $200 for the HCP4 in Canadian dollars.

Thanks so much for your time and I apologize for the long read. It's been a long time since I was so focused on setting up a system and hope to make a decent quality sounding system this time around, unlike my 4x12" SPL system I crammed into my 1985 Rx-7 in the '90's. I know the car I'm using is old and there's lots of road noise, hence almost impossible to make a high quality SQ setup, but I am to do it right, the best way I can on a budget.

Nick. (Ecuador, South America).
1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 58 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Which amp to buy? (Specific, Hertz) New member. First post. . First post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 View Post
Hi,
Here goes, sorry for the long first post...
...This is going in an old '74 Toyota 1000 (kp30)...
Hola,

Long posts are good.

Noice... 74 Toyota !
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019   #3

Rep Power: 21 K-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enoughK-pop sucks will become famous soon enough

Why limit yourself to just Hertz...?
K-pop sucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019   #4

Rep Power: 0 1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough1974_Toyota_1000_kp30 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Which amp to buy? (Specific, Hertz) New member. First post. . First post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-pop sucks View Post
Why limit yourself to just Hertz...?
I'm open to other suggestions. The pricing at the moment is the main factor, plus the reputation of Hertz vs whatever else is available in the same price range.

I think I'm over-thinking this too much. Now I understand what the "2 way active setup" is....and I don't plan to go active with the components, rather use the passive crossovers that come with them.

I guess to make it more simple, now knowing what that means after doing some more research is this;

If I am essentially going to be running 4 x 4 ohm speakers off a 4 channel amp, and the amp has a 2 channel mode (in the case of the Dpower4 Hertz amp), does that automatically turn it into a 2 channel amp, meaning that I would be running it at 2 ohms?

In the case of the HCP4 Hertz amp, it doesn't have a switch to toggle from 4 to 2 channels, rather a "rear channel on-off" button. Will this do the same?

Or are those switches / buttons only blocking the 3rd and 4th channels, turning the amp into a 2 channel amp, running normally as it would as a 2 channel, meaning half the available channels (and power).

If a 4 channel amp is rated at 50w x 4 at 4 ohms, 75 watts x 2 at 2 ohms, or the option of running the 3rd and 4th channel bridged to run a subwoofer, could I use the 1st and 2nd channel to run the components in the front and then rather than bridging the 3rd and 4th channels to run one sub, run the 2 front door woofers, spreading the "bridged power" over 2 x 4 ohm speakers instead by running in series or parallel?

I essentially want to run 4 x 4 ohm speakers off a 4 channel amp and possibly run it at a 2 ohm load, OR run 2 channels at a 4 ohm load and the other 2 channels at 2 ohms.

Hopefully that makes things more clear. Thanks for any input!!!
Old 06-07-2019   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Hola,

Long posts are good.

Noice... 74 Toyota !
Thanks! Still love older cars, but now the cars I drive are getting even older and the car stereo stuff is getting newer. Luckily not much has seemed to have changed.

After reading so many posts where people tend to give very little info in their posts I made sure I covered all the bases I could think of. Haha
Old 06-10-2019   #6

I ended up finding a good price on a really clean example of a JL Slash 300/4, first version. That should power my Hertz 165.3 components and pair of Hertz ev165L.4 midbass drivers well.

I'll be back with more questions about head units. I'm pretty sold on the Kenwood KMRM325bt model with it's Aptx bluetooth and flac support on the USB input. I want to hide it behind the dash and use bluetooth to control and tune it.

Anyone have any recent experience with the Kenwood remote app? It seems to have some bad reviews and I don't even know if they are still updating it or if it's just not worth it. I really want to have flac, aptx and hide the unit. But open to other suggestions if the app is garbage.

Then I'll decide if I want to throw an Eq in the mix, it would give me a volume control, unless there is a easier way to do it. Would an app based head unit controller with time alignment and all those great features be enough for tuning-wise or should I get the eq. Precision power (I know, they aren't what they once were) because you can fine tune the frequency to further tuning capabilities..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement