Disable mids and highs in 3-way 6x9 speakers - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Rep Power: 0 stolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enough

Default Disable mids and highs in 3-way 6x9 speakers

I have a basic system in my 2019 Corolla and I am keeping the factory head unit. I replaced the front speakers with a component set (transplanted from my previous car) that sounds very good to me. I am going to replace the rear factory speakers with a pair of 6x9 's (that happen to be 3-way) so that I can get a little more/better bass. I mostly listen with the fader favoring the front speakers. My questions are if I don't want to hear mids and highs from the rear, can I simply disconnect the exposed 2 conductor wire that goes to the coaxial mounted mid-and tweeter? If I do this would it change the overall impedance of the speaker to the point where it could damage the head unit?

Or, is there a better way to do this such as by putting a coil in line with the 6x9 speaker to act as a low pass filter. If so, what value coil should I use (mH) and where might I be able to get one. Thanks in advance for any help.
stolz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Rep Power: 29 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Disable mids and highs in 3-way 6x9 speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolz View Post
I have a basic system in my 2019 Corolla and I am keeping the factory head unit. I replaced the front speakers with a component set (transplanted from my previous car) that sounds very good to me. I am going to replace the rear factory speakers with a pair of 6x9 's (that happen to be 3-way) so that I can get a little more/better bass. I mostly listen with the fader favoring the front speakers. My questions are if I don't want to hear mids and highs from the rear, can I simply disconnect the exposed 2 conductor wire that goes to the coaxial mounted mid-and tweeter? If I do this would it change the overall impedance of the speaker to the point where it could damage the head unit?

Or, is there a better way to do this such as by putting a coil in line with the 6x9 speaker to act as a low pass filter. If so, what value coil should I use (mH) and where might I be able to get one. Thanks in advance for any help.
I don't see any problem with cutting that wire, just cut it in a place where it can be reconnected later, if the need arises.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ckirocz28 For This Useful Post:
stolz (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Nottinghamshire Police
Position:
Auto electrician/Fabricator

Rep Power: 154 dumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enoughdumdum will become famous soon enough

Cut away, done it before, the impedance won’t get lower 👍🏼
dumdum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dumdum For This Useful Post:
stolz (1 Week Ago)

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 49 Vx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enoughVx220 will become famous soon enough

Cut tinsel leads no probs, but unless you have some kind of LPF (Low Pass Filter) the 6x9 cone will still do a surprisingly good job of high and mid frequency reproduction.

An inductor in the speaker wire would be easiest, not sure if an OEM head unit would power the speakers with this in place? Passive components soak up some power and OEM head units don't have much to begin with
Vx220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Vx220 For This Useful Post:
stolz (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Rep Power: 0 stolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enoughstolz will become famous soon enough

Many thanks. Did cutting the wires help to reduce some of the high end brightness?
Also, I am assuming that I would only have to cut or desolder one wire of the pair, say for example the positive wire, or is there some reason for why I should cut both wires of the pair?
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Rep Power: 29 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Many thanks. Did cutting the wires help to reduce some of the high end brightness?

Also, I am assuming that I would only have to cut or desolder one wire of the pair, say for example the positive wire, or is there some reason for why I should cut both wires of the pair?
No need to do both, one will do the job.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ckirocz28 For This Useful Post:
stolz (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Rep Power: 0 mpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enoughmpm17 will become famous soon enough

www.parts-express.com

will have everything you need.

www.diyaudioandvideo.com

has a good crossover calculator to help pick the value you need.

Or if your up for it a basic 4 channel amplifier will have a high pass and low pass adjustable crossover built in.

An inexpensive option would be the Dual XPR84D. Available at Walmarts around the nation at less than $100. Don't let the low price fool you, as its a pretty good little amp. Check out the test on youtube.
mpm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mpm17 For This Useful Post:
stolz (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Cut away, done it before, the impedance won’t get lower 👍🏼
Did it help to reduce the the highs and mids (brihgtness) of the speaker?
Was it worth doing this? Thanks.
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Rep Power: 7 XSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enoughXSVTOYZ will become famous soon enough

did the same to my 6x8 got rid of the aluminum tweeter use it as my mid bass and went with silk tweeter in a different location
I then amp them separate works great

10 psi boosted Tacoma// skar 6x8// tweeter unhooked skar tweeters //silk dome skar//live nex 5000 //Blaupunkt 1500.4 //skar vd-10 x2 // jbl gtx 500 x2 // 200 amp alt// 2 gauge big 3 //agm 24f // sound deadened
XSVTOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Rep Power: 38 Jeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enoughJeffdachefz will become famous soon enough

Quote:

dont get those 6x9s and get these 6x9s instead. You can get a low pass inline crossover on parts express too.
https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...oofer--264-837

SPL oriented 09 Sienna......80 prs+amp crossovers 3 way active front stage 10 inch pwx midbass on a ct 500.2, 6.5 prv 6mr500 ndy on a bridged ppi 900.4, massive ct2 tweeters on a ppi 600.2 B pillar 6th order wall with 4 Team Ascendant 18s on 30,000 watts.
Jeffdachefz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement