Care to discuss my options? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019   #1

Rep Power: 5 Quartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enough

Default Care to discuss my options?

Hi DIYMA,

I am building my first system for my 2018 Toyota Corolla. I am not looking to compete, simply to enjoy. I am looking for SQ over SPL. What got me started was how loud this relatively new car is on the highway so I have deadened and will be adding foam and MLV soon. I just put in a new HU: Kenwood DDX9705S.

Next is the sub. I am looking at the Dayton UM10-22 Ultimax. This is a DVC 10" sub with 500w RMS. I have been told this would be a decent wattage range for my application. Plus if I want to add another I can change the wiring and be good to go. Correct? Please tell me if I am dumb or if you have another quality recommendation!

I am looking at the Taramps MD1800.1 for the amp.
Quartersawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019   #2

Rep Power: 34 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Care to discuss my options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartersawn View Post
Hi DIYMA,

I am building my first system for my 2018 Toyota Corolla. I am not looking to compete, simply to enjoy. I am looking for SQ over SPL. What got me started was how loud this relatively new car is on the highway so I have deadened and will be adding foam and MLV soon. I just put in a new HU: Kenwood DDX9705S.

Next is the sub. I am looking at the Dayton UM10-22 Ultimax. This is a DVC 10" sub with 500w RMS. I have been told this would be a decent wattage range for my application. Plus if I want to add another I can change the wiring and be good to go. Correct? Please tell me if I am dumb or if you have another quality recommendation!

I am looking at the Taramps MD1800.1 for the amp.
You should check out Wolfram Audio amps, too. https://www.wolframaudio.com/
CSS Audio SDX's, Adire Audio Brahma's are some of the high Xmax small sealed box subs, there are others I can't think of right now.
Looking at your current selection, it looks like you're looking for good bang for the buck at around $500. Maybe we can get you hooked up for around that price.
ckirocz28 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019   #3

Rep Power: 5 Quartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enough

If I can get a sub and amp large and reliable enough to add another sub in the future (if needed) for 500 I will be a happy man. Am I right to go for a 10" in the 500w range for SQ?

Old 06-08-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If I can get a sub and amp large and reliable enough to add another sub in the future (if needed) for 500 I will be a happy man. Am I right to go for a 10" in the 500w range for SQ?
Yes if you buy the dayton 10 D2 sub you can wire it at 4 ohms and be good to go with most amps. And then if you buy a second one and wire it to 4 ohms as well and then wire them both in parralel you will be at 2ohms and also be good to go with "most" amps. Just pick an amp that can run 2 ohms mono at the total RMS the two subs can handle. i think thats around 1000 watts.

2018 Crosstrek
P SIX DSP MK2 GB10 GB25 Gs690 RM12 Z-2KD II
miniSQ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019   #5

Rep Power: 34 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'd go for a 12", but that's just my inner basshead talking Any good sub in any size can do sq really well, it's just gotta be a GOOD sub. Dayton has a pretty good reputation, so..... The real question is will YOU be happy with one 10", then another later?
Old 06-08-2019   #6

My biggest problem is I have no idea! I have never even heard a decent car audio system so I am kinda shooting blind lol. I just knew I didn't want to let the local shops sell me whatever.
Old 06-08-2019   #7

Quote:
My biggest problem is I have no idea! I have never even heard a decent car audio system so I am kinda shooting blind lol. I just knew I didn't want to let the local shops sell me whatever.
Give us a minimum-maximum budget to shoot for so we can get more specific for you. Also, let us know if we should include rca's, power wire, connectors, etc. in our suggestions.
Old 06-08-2019   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 192 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

A single 10" can be plenty if you're after SQ over SPL like you say. You only need to fill in the lows and such a sub with good excursion capabilities as well as lending itself to various box sizes and relative general response will be on par for a small sedan such as the Corolla.

As a comparison, my daughter has a 2000 Camry with a single sealed Peerless XXLS 10" that plays very well for a daily driver. I built the box with a baffle big enough to separate the trunk from the cabin albeit the actual enclosure is only .5 cubic foot. Implementation matters. My truck only has a single 10" and I'm happy with as well.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirocz28 View Post
Quote:
Give us a minimum-maximum budget to shoot for so we can get more specific for you. Also, let us know if we should include rca's, power wire, connectors, etc. in our suggestions.
I have nothing other than my sound proofing materials and my HU as of now. Let's try to get the job done for 700-800 Sub, amp, enclosure, wires. Is that a doable figure?
Old 06-08-2019   #10

Quote:
I have nothing other than my sound proofing materials and my HU as of now. Let's try to get the job done for 700-800 Sub, amp, enclosure, wires. Is that a doable figure?
Most likely. Can you build a box, or would you rather buy one? Building a box can save some coin that could be better applied to a sub or amp.
Old 06-08-2019   #11

Just an example, I realize you asked for a 10". And that amp won't ship til August.
https://www.css-audio.com/online-sto...fer-p110031759
https://www.wolframaudio.com/collect...ducts/w-1500-1
https://www.amazon.com/Q-Power-Seale...&s=car&sr=1-13
That combo leaves about $80 for wires/cables.
An Adire Audio Brahma 10" for $389, plus your Taramps md1800.1, plus about $60 for a prefab box leaves about $150 on the table (out of $800). I'm not counting shipping costs, either. I would definitely spend more on a great sub, then upgrade the amp and box when you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to ckirocz28 For This Useful Post:
Quartersawn (06-09-2019)
Old 06-08-2019   #12

Also, either one of those subs would really like a SOLID custom box, which you could build pretty cheaply.
Old 06-08-2019   #13

A custom box could probably be built for $60 in materials, thus saving shipping costs, with help from a friend with tools.
Old 06-08-2019   #14

You should also check out Stereo Integrity subs, no 10's there but they make some really good products.
Old 06-09-2019   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 55 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A custom box could probably be built for $60 in materials, thus saving shipping costs, with help from a friend with tools.
A user name of "quartersawn" seems to indicate to me that the OP may be capable on their own...
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019   #16
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 32 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
A user name of "quartersawn" seems to indicate to me that the OP may be capable on their own...

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, Scanspeak 12mu mids, Scanspeak 18wu midbasses, Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, Scanspeak 10F / Eminence SD28's (rear doors), Scanspeak 10F (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatLaBroski For This Useful Post:
Holmz (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Very observant! I used to build guitars and low level hobbyist stuff. I currently have very few tools unfortunately but building a box is not out of the question. Worst case, I have a cabinet maker buddy that can probably cut all my pieces and I can glue them up.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 304 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I would get a 12" instead of a 10" if you're only going for one sub for now. It's better to have to cut the output than it is to have to push something beyond its limits. When it comes to having plenty of clean bass down low cone area and/or linear travel is your friend. And check out the Stereo Integrity RM12. That sub is a straight up badass that digs DEEP.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...I'd rather be hated for my honesty than loved for being fake
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019   #19

Rep Power: 79 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

I have experience with 10" and 12" subs. You can definitely get great SQ with a 10" subwoofer. The biggest difference between the two will come down to how large a box you can or want to fit. Obviously a 12 is going to need a larger box and it is better to have an ideal sized box for a 10" subwoofer than it would be to have a smallish box for a 12" subwoofer. I have an Alpine SWS 10 in my van and it is a very good budget sub in a ported 1 cube box tuned to 35 Hz and it gets plenty loud for the family. The Dayton Audio line of subwoofers are also a proven line you can trust will sound good if you build the box right.

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019   #20

Quote:
Just an example, I realize you asked for a 10". And that amp won't ship til August.
https://www.css-audio.com/online-sto...fer-p110031759
https://www.wolframaudio.com/collect...ducts/w-1500-1
https://www.amazon.com/Q-Power-Seale...&s=car&sr=1-13
That combo leaves about $80 for wires/cables.
An Adire Audio Brahma 10" for $389, plus your Taramps md1800.1, plus about $60 for a prefab box leaves about $150 on the table (out of $800). I'm not counting shipping costs, either. I would definitely spend more on a great sub, then upgrade the amp and box when you can.
I appreciate the examples. The subs you showed are about 2 to 3 times the price of the original one I was looking at. Not knocking your suggestion, but is a noob like me, at lower, commuter levels going to notice a difference worth double the price? Or would I be better off grabbing two of the Daytons for surface area?

The Following User Says Thank You to Quartersawn For This Useful Post:
Bayboy (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019   #21

Quote:
I appreciate the examples. The subs you showed are about 2 to 3 times the price of the original one I was looking at. Not knocking your suggestion, but is a noob like me, at lower, commuter levels going to notice a difference worth double the price? Or would I be better off grabbing two of the Daytons for surface area?

Spend your money any way you want, I have a friend that has a tendency to get big bass out of dirt cheap subs. For example, 4 Radio Shack 8" subs on sale for $10 each, thrown into a sealed box which was then slid face first into a slightly larger 5 sided box for a bandpass effect. It would pound you to death on 200 watts. I'm just not that lucky/skilled. I can tell you that I have 2 of the CSS SDX12's that are freaking spectacular, and they are almost a direct copy of the Adire Audio Brahma's design. The CSS is made in China, Brahma is made in the US, both XBL^2 technology licensed from Dan Wiggins. You do what you feel is best for you, just remember the box is the most important piece of the puzzle, closely followed by placement/orientation/install, then quality of sub, then quality and power of amp.
Old 06-10-2019   #22

There's also a new 12" from Stereo Integrity for $275. It's not shipping just yet.
Old 06-10-2019   #23

https://m.facebook.com/pg/stereointe...ernal&mt_nav=0
Old 06-13-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 nyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enoughnyquistrate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There's also a new 12" from Stereo Integrity for $275. It's not shipping just yet.
That looks promising. I only wonder about the sensitivity.
nyquistrate is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement