Front stage options - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Rep Power: 3 Quartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enough

Default Front stage options

Hey all. I have another sub thread going but wanted to seperate this one because I will have a long line of questioning I am sure. I tend to ramble so please be patient! Lol.

After my subs, I want to amplify and upgrade the speakers. Without getting into specific brands, I want to learn and have a solid idea of what I am doing. My intial thought was to run a 4 channel amp and just get a set of two way components. Easy peazy. Then I saw the idea of a 3 way. I see some 3 way sets with passive crossovers. If they have passive crossovers do I still need a channel for each of the 6 speakers? Whatever the answer is to this question will open a few more.

Quick info:
Car: 2018 Corolla
Goal: SQ (I listen to music just under 80db according to my decibel meter)
Quartersawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 335 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Front stage options

If you are using passive crossovers, you don't need a channel for each speaker. However, many 3-ways have the ability to bi-amp, so you have run more power to the midbass speakers.

If you eventually want to upgrade an add a processor, then a 6-channel would be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Rep Power: 33 OCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enough

Passive 3 way, 2 channel amp.
Active 2 way, 4 channel amp.
OCD66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Rep Power: 3 Quartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enoughQuartersawn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD66 View Post
Passive 3 way, 2 channel amp.

Active 2 way, 4 channel amp.
Beautiful. Thank you for the concise answer!

Given those two options, which would you all recommend? If I do 3 way, I was thinking of mounting in some unused space in the door putting the mids between the woofer and the tweets.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
If you are using passive crossovers, you don't need a channel for each speaker. However, many 3-ways have the ability to bi-amp, so you have run more power to the midbass speakers.

If you eventually want to upgrade an add a processor, then a 6-channel would be useful.
That is my fear with the 3 way. Going active will be expensive. 6 channel amps seem pretty steep. I would love to add a basic DSP since I wont be able to use the time alignment and such on my HU after adding an amp.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 335 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

ARC XDi 1200.6 isn't that pricey.

Quote:
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Rep Power: 33 OCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enough

2 way passive is going to be the easiest. Spend the extra cash on quality components and power.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

https://www.audiofrog.com/gs60-premi...e-loudspeaker/

https://www.audiofrog.com/gs10-1-25m...otive-tweeter/

https://www.audiofrog.com/gs610c-pre...ive-crossover/

This is a well renowned quality setup that will give predictable results no matter what amplification you use.

They are also one of the easiest re-sold brands if you decide to upgrade. Keep them clean and always keep the box and they will sell quick.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 51 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

If the three speakers are all co-located, then there is little need for individual time alignment. As they spread out, the need increases.

If they were all lined up on the dash, then passive.

If one is by your knee, one on the dash, and one in the visor, then passive are not what you want.

Figuring out where to put everything is more important than what particular stuff one wants to use.
I would start there, before chin scratching in what to do... as therein is where much gets determined.
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
If the three speakers are all co-located, then there is little need for individual time alignment. As they spread out, the need increases.

If they were all lined up on the dash, then passive.

If one is by your knee, one on the dash, and one in the visor, then passive are not what you want.

Figuring out where to put everything is more important than what particular stuff one wants to use.

I would start there, before chin scratching in what to do... as therein is where much gets determined.
Thanks Holmz. The current tweeters are in the sails, woofers in the bottom of the door. I would like to keep them in the same position. If I were to add a mid, I would prefer to not cut the door if possible. I have an idea for a "tower" that I can fit in the unused cupholder that will elevate the mid tp about mid door without being in the way. Then I can just drill a small hole in the bottom of the cupholder and plug it if I ever want to sell the car. I see a lot of people with the mids on the dash. Is mid door going to screw something up if I go the 3way route?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Bad idea unless you're going full active. Keep it simple if this is your first serious install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cupholder.jpg (73.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Quote:
Bad idea unless you're going full active. Keep it simple if this is your first serious install.
Sounds about right. I am a tinkerer so I get ahead of myself. Now, using the savings from not doing 3 way, would I be smart to incorperate a DSP into an active, quality 2 way system in the stock locations?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartersawn View Post
Now, using the savings from not doing 3 way, would I be smart to incorperate a DSP into an active, quality 2 way system in the stock locations?

Yep.

Download the TuN software. Check it out and get familiar with it. About as easy as active gets.

https://www.jlaudio.com/Info/TuN+DSP...ftware/8096706

I believe the trial version has limited features, but it will give you an idea of what's involved.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPPyKlIPfbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97wFEyiQDL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjdXouykdbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwPg-1MMm8
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

Quote:
Yep.

Download the TuN software. Check it out and get familiar with it. About as easy as active gets.

https://www.jlaudio.com/Info/TuN+DSP...ftware/8096706

I believe the trial version has limited features, but it will give you an idea of what's involved.
Got it. Just to make sure I am correct. Active two way is gonna be a better bet for my situation since I am not trying to really go crazy. Now, there is no way I can use the crossovers and time alignment on my HU with some decent speakers?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Position:
Owner

What head unit do you currently have?

Quote:
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 51 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartersawn View Post
Thanks Holmz. The current tweeters are in the sails, woofers in the bottom of the door. I would like to keep them in the same position. If I were to add a mid, I would prefer to not cut the door if possible. I have an idea for a "tower" that I can fit in the unused cupholder that will elevate the mid tp about mid door without being in the way. Then I can just drill a small hole in the bottom of the cupholder and plug it if I ever want to sell the car. I see a lot of people with the mids on the dash. Is mid door going to screw something up if I go the 3way route?
If all those speakers are at different distances from the ears, then active is probably better than passive.

One could put the mid-range in different positions and then work out whether they sound best in a specific location(s). Then from there figure out how to install them.
(It will likely be in the dash, or in a sail panel... if there is already a spot in the dash, then that would be easiest... keeping them widely spaced is better)
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
What head unit do you currently have?
Kenwood DDX9705s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement