Troubleshooting: PDX amps randomly stop working. - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Rep Power: 74 starfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enough

Question Troubleshooting: PDX amps randomly stop working.

Hey folks,

I have an intermittent issue with my install. Randomly 1-2x per week (drive car 10x per week), BOTH of my amplifiers flash blue and do not produce any sound. If it turn car off and then on, the issue persits, if I wait a few hours/the next day, the system works totally flawlessly. This just began occurring in May 2019, I live in CT, so it's been a cold winter prior.

This is my setup:
2004 BMW 330ci
Pioneer DEH 80PRS - network mode
Alpine PDX V12
Alpine PDX F6

3 pairs of RCAs go from the head unit to the trunk (about 8 feet) where the amplifiers are. Remote on is from the BMW's factory amp 12V remote on.

I installed the system myself (Just a dumb 20-year-old kid at the time). It was running fine for about 5 years now. I have never had this issue before. I can only assume there is some wiring/connection that came loose over the years.

I checked all of my power wires at the amp, but honestly, I need to do a better job and check the battery terminal and ground.

The only pattern to this issue is that when it is really humid outside, the issue is more likely to present itself. In the cool evenings, I do not experience the issue (normally). I plan to go through each of my connections again this weekend, but if someone has any ideas for places to check, please let me know.

I think it's a bit weird that BOTH of the amplifiers stop working and flash blue. If a speaker wire were shorted, I would expect one amp to go into protect mode. Head unit appears to work OK, just no sound obviously.

Thanks for reading!
Alex
starfox5194 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 233 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Default Re: Troubleshooting: PDX amps randomly stop working.

Where are the amps mounted? Lots of cool air? Sounds like they are over heating

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Rep Power: 74 starfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enoughstarfox5194 will become famous soon enough

They are in the trunk behind the lining on the left side. Airflow is not great there, so yes this is a possibility.

It's weird they flash blue the second they are turned on.

When they don't flash blue from the start I can run them for 2 hours+ without issue on loud volumes.

Is there a sensor in the PDX amps that don't let them turn on at all when they are in a hot environment? I don't think the trunk is greater than 120F when the car is just sitting in an open parking lot in 85F weather.
starfox5194 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 233 minbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to allminbari is a name known to all

Ok, they both fail to turn on at the same time?
I would check your power and ground. I wonder if you have an intermittent issue that is causing low voltage

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Original post whore!
Bent Nail Brewery

2014 Tacoma, Stock HU |AC LC2i | Dayton 408 DSP | Phoenix Gold T500.2 -> Silver Flute 8" | -> JL 300/2 -> Vifa XT25 | JL 500/1 -> 12" ID IDQ
minbari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Rep Power: 38 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

Read a few posts here. Says it's either got a problem or your electrical has a problem. Maybe when you start your car they don't like the voltage drop and they automatically go into protect. Here's the page I found.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t139416...light_fiashing
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement